• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever cut up a car? Step on in!

@Kern Dog : When are you chopping a Prius?
OOooo....Where would I be able to dump the batteries?
That is one of the many drawbacks to the whole "electric car" trend.....What to do with the toxic waste of dead batteries!

Thanks! One less ricer on the road. It could have been this! :fool:
2860faf1d75eda3afbcef7ff2245f315.jpg

OOooo....Where would I be able to dump the batteries?
That is one of the many drawbacks to the whole "electric car" trend.....What to do with the toxic waste of dead batteries!
Actually all totaled Priuses are sent back to Toyota and they deal with the batteries.

@OKDart

Are you saying scrap steel is $1.24 per 100 pounds?

I thought it had gone up a bit since last I checked at $3.

That's not very inspiring for me to keep cutting.

I did start in on the 71 Satellite.

Looks like the plasma cutter is going to work.

Mostly works through the paint, and if it doesn't, the paint burns off and then it works on the second pass.

@OKDart

Mostly works through the paint, and if it doesn't, the paint burns off and then it works on the second pass.

Light iron scrap in New Jersey by me is $7.30 per 100 pounds as of this posting

I see people keep quoting a value based on 100 lbs. Out here, they rate it by the ton/2000 lbs.
$7.30 means $146 per ton then?

We have three scrap yards almost in a row about 5 miles from my shop, plus a core place for radiators, electric motors, cat's etc.

The all had signs at their entrances with their price for scrap steel, whole cars, and aluminum.

When steel went below $3.50, they all took down their signs.

Being a plumber I get a lot of brass and copper scrap.
A little over two years ago copper price was up.
I loaded my E-350 Ford van with a little over a ton of copper, brass and aluminum
Scored 4k

@OKDart

$7.50 per 100 lbs. = $150 per ton

I’ve heard price has something to do with your location to a port also.

2472ACAA-DD06-4FC5-816A-48B5B8901AC3.jpeg

This is by no means a lucrative endeavor.
I made 2 trips today. First load was almost 3000 lbs and it paid $241. It was mostly Mopar scrap and misc other metal but there were a few of the Toyota parts in the first load.
The second load was all Toyota and it all fit in the just the trailer, none in the truck bed. It was approx 1600 lbs and paid $132. Yeah....The cut up Toyota netted about $150 in steel value. There is still the wiring and aluminum components but I'm not holding out much hope. The engine was good so I saved that. I thought I had a buyer but he flaked.
One hundred and fifty dollars for this:

T 36.jpg
T 37.jpg

To make this task even more appealing....
They had a line going in to the scale that took over a half hour for each trip. ONE clerk when they have two windows that often have two clerks. My junk hauler truck is the '75 Power Wagon and of course, has no functioning A/C.

T 36.jpg
NOS 23.JPG

The Toyota chop job was mostly done as a favor to my sister. I will not make that mistake again.

Last edited:
Cool beans!! Hard for me to do that kind of work anymore......
Thanks ,I hear ya cranky. getting harder for me each passing year prob another 2 or 3 then I am going to go to part time at 66 , Our shop was near 90 inside today , I kept moving the fan ha ha.

Thanks ,I hear ya cranky. getting harder for me each passing year prob another 2 or 3 then I am going to go to part time at 66 , Our shop was near 90 inside today , I kept moving the fan ha ha.
Hit 97 inside my shop today and for several hours. Glad I have a 'redneck' pool out back under the carport!! :D

For a scrapper to take motor home or travel trailer remains, you have to remove the aluminum from the wood frames these all have. They do not take wood or anything like that. Refrigerators and A/C units need to have the compressor removed. Anything with gasoline or propane needs removed, too. If you strip the wiring, remove and separate the metals, and burn the wood, flooring and fabric bits, you might make some money, but the time required to end up with $200 in your pocket might make you think twice. You could use that chassis for a killer hauler build, with a '30s through '60s cab from a COE truck, THAT would be badass!

You might go on the FB Dodge truck forums and sell the wheels, and front/rear axles, as they have the later-model 8-lugs and make for great conversion axles for 1968 and earlier Dodge/Fargo D300 trucks and up.

Any suggestions for this thing? It’s a ‘78 with a 440. Still complete, but bad water damage.

View attachment 1143274 View attachment 1143275 View attachment 1143276

My junk hauler truck is the '75 Power Wagon and of course, has no functioning A/C.

Yes it does, open wing windows wide & press down on right pedal to the floor, NATURE'S AIR COOLING. I'll take that 75 PW off your hands, I won't charge you a "disposal fee" for it:D

Auto Transport Service
Back