• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever cut up a car? Step on in!

Are you trying to download from a lap top or a desk top? All the pics that are on my phone that I want to upload to any site goes to my email first then are downloaded to my lap top or desk top. From there it's easy. Don't even like using my phone to do anything on the net....

@Kern Dog You might have me beat by one lol. I used to part cars in the mid 70's and have done a few more in the past several years with a 91 Dakota being my last part out because I couldn't get the title to it. It was a 4 banger 5 speed truck but that was already missing. I kinda knew the guy and his plan was to install a V8 but he died and his widow wasn't interested in finding the title for me so....cut time. Sold some stuff from it and kept some for me but the main thing was that I got to see how a 1st gen Dakota was assembled and well, it came apart fairly easily and it impressed me with the way it was built.

In the 70's I didn't have a sawzall so everything was done with a gas axe but should have bought me one. Once I did get one I saw (no pun intended) what I was missing. Most of the cars I parted out were E bodies and again, kept some stuff for me and sold the rest and yeah, most of the cars that got parted would be considered choice cars for restoration. Most were Challengers with one being an A66 but I kept that car for myself. The plan was to drag race it so the 340 and auto was sold. The car was rust free but had 'whiskey dents' all over it which were all fixed. Kept it into the mid 80's and about had it ready for an engine when a guy showed up and offered me really stoopid money for it. His son had just totaled out his pristine original 70 440 RT Challenger and wanted a body to rebuild with. Not many people including me knew what the A66's would become but I knew they weren't common.....and never did see the rebuilt RT Challenger and don't even know if it was completed.
Trying from my phone. For what ever reason, this site is the only place i have trouble. Usually takes multiple attempts, if at all.

I've only cut up two, a pair of '64 Novas and I did it with a Hypertherm on the dirt driveway at my old house....boy oh boy that was a good time.

Any suggestions for this thing? It’s a ‘78 with a 440. Still complete, but bad water damage.

1908CDBC-CA62-4AC5-963F-0075B38B18C4.jpeg 7A636E79-DE80-48ED-85CB-946AAE184B2A.jpeg 41E3A242-754D-42A5-9A0A-971A97995BDA.jpeg

I got it for the 440 and generator, but 8 years later it still sits untouched.
I like the torch it idea, makes easy work of it. Can the frames be sold for other than scrap?

I was just at the scrap yard a few days ago and got $124 for 1600 lbs of steel. Aluminum was .45 cents a pound for cans.

Last edited:
From this:

T 2.jpg

To this:

T 36.jpg

T 37.jpg

In 137 easy steps!

When I have scrapped cars like this, the process is often 3 trips.
One truckload goes to the dump. The load consists of all the rubber, plastic, carpet, glass and all trash.
Another load is the steel...to the recycler.
Final load is the Non-Ferrous....Aluminum, brass, wiring and often times, whatever aluminum cans I have collected over time.

In 1977 I bought a non running '69 SS Chevelle. (Was not in that bad shape. Especially by today's standards.) Sold 350/350 and the Muncie transmission. Parted out most all the suspension components and 12 bolt rear end. Most all interior and dash. Sold front clip. Some guy came over and we cut the rear wheel wells out. Even cut and sold roof. (Just frame and cowl left. And still got $30 from scraper because he wanted cowl. He picked it up with an old school tow truck with chain. And chained frame to his bumper so it wouldn't sway all over the place.) I paid $300 for car. Got about $1800 out of the parts when all said and done. (Under a week's time.) I was 16 years old. And I thought I was cock of the walk. Of course not knowing the future. I'm guessing 25x or more today? Restoration never even entered my 16 year old brain.

Last edited:
pull motor, tranny, rear, aluminum, generator flame thrower the bitch then scrap chassis UNLESS strip body, leave drive train and slap a D100 cab/fenders on chassis and use it out in the field as baja buggy

Last edited:
saw out the radiator support, pull the motor and trans out the front, junk the rest. At $245 a ton for scrap, you’ll make good money on the shell!

Junk yards by me in New Jersey don't take motor homes or trailer homes
Too much wood and other non recyclable products in them

Ed

Nope, never have - but I've never bought or sold one that wasn't at least some level of functional.
I like having acquaintances that have yards full of junk - I don't want to be that friend, however.
I honestly don't think it's in me to cut one up for the fun of it, either - I must be afflicted with some
sort of car empathy or something... :)
Now, stripping parts and/or unbolting stuff? That IS fun to me, especially useful ones.

Stripping out newer stuff can yield all sorts of cool clips, looms and goodies you can use on our old cars.

Cutting up cars is hard work. The Saw gets hot, you're often pushing hard while cutting, the pieces are awkward to lift so you have to be careful to get a good grip so it doesn't slip and cut you...
I am often worn out after cutting up cars. I helped a guy whack up a rusty Duster today. I got the front stub set aside for any occasion where I might happen along a frontal wreck A body project.

Auto Transport Service
Back