• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Hear of "Home Title Lock"?

Dibbons

Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
The website charges $19.95 monthly to "protect" your home title from being transferred to the name of a thief (who can then take out a loan on your home equity using fake documents-even doing so online). According to the sales pitch, the county clerk will not inform a homeowner if such paperwork is being filed without your knowledge. I know there exist similar "services" that monitor your credit reports (usually for a fee or as a benefit of some other program).

My local government/town clerk monitors your deed if there's any filing, they email you. You can sign up online.

Last edited:
I know this as well as those credit monitors are great money makers for the sellers and folks fork out big bucks to them for that service. Why don't they just go to the 3 big credit companies and put a lock on their credit. Only cost a few dollars if you need to unlock and re lock when needed. I was told that's all the protection one needs.

Details of property ownership are public record and easily accessed online.

That's how "they" get your address to send spam to ask if you want to sell your house.

Any bogus sales and/or loans should be safeguarded against by the authority that maintains those records.

I know this as well as those credit monitors are great money makers for the sellers and folks fork out big bucks to them for that service. Why don't they just go to the 3 big credit companies and put a lock on their credit. Only cost a few dollars if you need to unlock and re lock when needed. I was told that's all the protection one needs.
Sorry to say that doesn't stop someone playing with your title, no credit check on title change. Think those title protection companies are a ripoff.
Froze my credit 7 yrs ago. Had 4 places get breached that I did business with.

Edit: I'm not endorsing those title protection companies!

Last edited:
AS PT Barnum once said..."A fool and their money are easily parted." These ads are equal to all the Snake Oil out there being pedaled...cr8crshr/Bill:bs_flag::bs_flag::bs_flag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I knew some people years ago that " carried" the note on selling their home who were getting the payments and the interest..
Up until the " new " owner loaded up cash loans against it and skipped town......

I also have frozen ALL credit bureaus and have been so for well over 10 years. Did so for my wife too.BTW - There are more than just the Big 3 if you want to be comprehensive. There are two additional lesser know bureaus that I‘ve frozen along with the big 3 to ensure everything is locked up tight. And as others have said - I wouldnt spend a nickel of the home title lock service. I’ve heard of it but also think it a big money maker for the provider - with little to no benefit for the purchaser. You could buy a case a beer a month instead for what they’re charging.

Auto Transport Service
Back