• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever see a 427 Pontiac?

I forgot that people wouldn’t know about Mercury, Meteors and Frontenacs
Didn’t really know about difference between Monarch and Mercury.
The Monarch was similar to the Meteor, with different trim.
1690476939405.png

Just like the Frontenac was a re-trimmed Falcon.
1690477036056.png

Grew up in Buffalo on the canadian border. The canadian cars were great with the trim changes and all. My cousin was finance guy (controller) of GM Canada when I was a kid. Always had some cool stuff most being high performance.
Used to see a lot of the GM stuff like acadians (novas) and Beumonts (chevelles) Fargo Trucks (Chryslers) and Mercury trucks (ford)

I have to respectfully disagree. I am quite certain that Ford/ Meteor were comparable. My folks had a 57 Meteor Niagara 300. First car I drove. Neighbours had a 58 Ford 300 or equivalent .
Next up the line was Monarch/Mercury comparison.
Can’t remember if both Mercury and Ford dealers sold Lincolnd.
( This in response to Photo Don’s Post).

I am pretty sure Monarchs were made in Canada from 1948 to 1961. When I was a kid, my Dad had a 1950 Monarch. This was a cheaper version of the Mercury, sold at Ford dealers. The Meteor started out as a more expensive Ford, sold at Mercury dealers, and ended up as the low line of Mercury. The Meteor nameplate started in 1949, and lasted until about 1966. My mother had a few Meteors over the years; 1951, 1956, 1959, and 1963. The last Ford-based Meteors were built in 1961. 1962 and 1963 Meteors were intermediates, based on the Fairlane. In 1965, the Comet grew a little larger and replaced the Meteor as Mercury's intermediate. In 1965 and 1966 the Meteor name was applied to the entry-level full-size Mercury.
In Canada, there were often Ford dealers and Mercury dealers in the same town, competing with each other, offering a full range of models. Ford dealers had Ford cars and trucks, Falcons, Thunderbirds, and Monarchs. Mercury dealers sold Mercury cars and trucks, Frontenac (1960 only), Meteor, and Lincoln. In 1961, the new Comet replaced the unloved Frontenac.

The Frontenac had 5% of all Ford of Canada sales in 1960, second best selling compact. I think the Corvair slightly outsold it.
My friend in high school bought a green ,white 4 door 144.3 cubic inch auto . Don’t remember if it was faster than a Corvair. He wanted to make it go faster. We lived on a farm, my older brother had come back for the summer to help out. He did a lot of thinking about this.
End result , Ron bought a 292 4 bbl and trans, I think a Buick cross flow rad and a drop down air cleaner to make hood clearance. My brother took angle iron duplicated the exhaust manifold openings then welded the two pieces together. Mounted on the car, cut holes in the inner fenders to fit the manifold pipes, then exhaust under the car.
Three days later Ron destroyed the differential ,also front end sagged. In went coils on the front from a 54 Ford and rear differential and springs from a 56 Ford I think!
Some of these things might be a little off, because that was in 1965.
He shocked quite a few people that looked down on his little Frontenac.
Three years ago I sold his original Frontenac caps to a fellow that was restoring one.
His car was a true sleeper.

I see my friend listed the car at Volo Auto sales.
I wonder if it’s worth anywhere near the 200+K they’re asking?
Maybe that price is in Canadian dollars? :lol:

I finally got to see a Pontiac with a 409. Canadian 1963 Parisienne. Where else but MCACN? It was in barn finds and had more than its share of bondo on the rear quarter, but still looks very restorable.
It's a 4 speed.

11-18-23 (87).jpg

11-18-23 (40).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back