• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever see a 427 Pontiac?

XS22J8R

Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
I'm all Mopar, but get excited about unicorns regardless of what make they are.
A local car collector friend of mine bought this car a few years ago, a '68 Pontiac Parisienne 2+2 convertible 427 4 speed.
For some reason he is talking about listing it on BAT soon to see what it might bring. His collection is of big body manual trans GMs, mostly Pontiacs these days, and this one would be the last one I'd ever let go if I was him!
The big 3 did some interesting things back in the 60s to satisfy Canadian trade rules. There were actually some Pontiacs made with 409s for Canada in the mid 60s, but I've yet to ever see one of those.

7-21-23 (45).jpg

20230721_183815.jpg

20230721_183757.jpg

I'm all Mopar, but get excited about unicorns regardless of what make they are.
A local car collector friend of mine bought this car a few years ago, a '68 Pontiac Parisienne 2+2 convertible 427 4 speed.
For some reason he is talking about listing it on BAT soon to see what it might bring. His collection is of big body manual trans GMs, mostly Pontiacs these days, and this one would be the last one I'd ever let go if I was him!
The big 3 did some interesting things back in the 60s to satisfy Canadian trade rules. There were actually some Pontiacs made with 409s for Canada in the mid 60s, but I've yet to ever see one of those.

View attachment 1500057

View attachment 1500058

View attachment 1500059
409’s were available in Pontiac Safari wagons and other models in the early 60’s . Some Chevrolets. In Canada .

Early 60's Pontiacs in Canada generally came with Chevrolet engines. We really didn't see the actual Pontiac engines, except for the GTO and later the Firebirds.

Early 60's Pontiacs in Canada generally came with Chevrolet engines. We really didn't see the actual Pontiac engines, except for the GTO and later the Firebirds.
I looked at Canadian Poncho. One fellow posted production numbers for 1964 409 Oshawa built Pontiacs.
I counted 80 .

That's pretty cool, thanks for posting it.
Had a 68 428 poncho years ago hell of a engine.

Heard of the super duty 421 but not a 427.

Heard of the super duty 421 but not a 427.
Canadian Poncho has production numbers of 66 427 Oshawa built cars. Probably someone posted other years also.
Our drag strip had it’s first full season of Racing 1967.
I think there might have been a 427 racing between 1967 and 71. Don’t think he was a local and I only saw it once if it was true.
Watched Thunderbolts consistently lose.

Our full size Canadian Pontiacs were basically Catalina's on a Chevrolet Chassis. The bodies were built with a Chev floorpan to fit the Chev chassis. The engines and transmissions in these cars were the same as the ones in the Chevrolet line-up. These included everything from an inline 6 to 409 and 427, depending on year. We never had an equivalent of the longer wheelbase Bonneville up here.
There was also a Canadian Pontiac version of the Chevie II sold here, as the Acadian. Similarly, a Canadian Pontiac version of the midsize Chevelle was marketed as the Beaumont. Again, these cars were only available with Chevrolet powertrains. The Top Dog Beaumont in the musclecar era was the Beaumont SD (Sport Deluxe), complete with 396. These cars sported a divided grill, within the confines of Chevelle front sheet metal, and a GTO interior. Although the 1966 396 Beaumont's did not get the Big Block domed hood (neither did our 396 Chevelle's), this showed up in 1967, also on our SS 396 Chevelles. GTO's were all imported from U.S. until 1970, when they began to be assembled in Canada, too. Thus, they were more expensive than a Beaumont SD 396. Firebirds were also imported from U.S., and had U.S. powertrains, and were considerably more expensive than Camaros.
As a sidenote, Pontiac tried to develop a package similar to Camaro's Z-28 to compete in late '60's Trans-Am racing, where the engines were limited to 5 litres (306 c.i.). Experimental Pontiac engines destroked to 303 c.i. were found to be unreliable. To field a competitive race car, Pontiac installed Z-28 302's in their Firebirds. They got around the rules by saying that Canadian Firebirds were produced with Chevrolet engines. This was pure B.S.

Chevrolet Mark IV BB engines
& various other stuff or different grills & trim too than American market
in the Canadian market cars from Chevy & in Pontiac back then

did they do that with the Olds & Buicks, way back then too ?
I don't remember or recall seeing it

My stepdad Bob was a big Pontiac guy, he had a couple Canadian cars
1 I remeber a 67 Pontiac Beaumont with a 396 BBC that looks sort of like
67 396SS Chevelle, different grill, tail panel, trim or trinkets in the interior etc.
& Pontiac badging etc.
It was a cool car, people were always surprised it was a Pontiac...

Chevrolet Mark IV BB engines
& various other stuff or different grills & trim too than American market
in the Canadian market cars from Chevy & in Pontiac back then

did they do that with the Olds & Buicks, way back then too ?
I don't remember or recall seeing it

My stepdad Bob was a big Pontiac guy, he had a couple Canadian cars
1 I remeber a 67 Pontiac Beaumont with a 396 BBC that looks sort of like
67 396SS Chevelle, different grill, tail panel, trim or trinkets in the interior etc.
& Pontiac badging etc.
It was a cool car, people were always surprised it was a Pontiac...
Quite a few people don’t realize that the the Canadian Pontiacs, had better/fancier interiors. Custom Sports nicer than Super Sports, SD Beaumont nicer than Chevelle SS’s.

When I was working in my Dad's gas station in the late 60's Buicks and Oldsmobiles had their own unique engines.

I had an American 1959 Pontiac Catalina during and after my last year of high school,1966-1967. It was a 389 Tripower, 345 h.p., 3-speed on the column, up here in Ontario. It was a rare Wide-track, in a sea of narrow track Canadian Pontiacs built on Chevrolet chassis. I remember that is was hard to get parts for it, if anything broke or wore out.
Buicks and Oldsmobiles were the same up here as in U.S.

Under a similar vein, Canadian Meteors were a little better dressed than Fords especially up into 1960’s.
Monarchs, sold at Ford dealers were not quite as plush as Mercurys. Meteors were sold at Mercury dealers.

Monarchs, sold at Ford dealers were not quite as plush as Mercurys. Meteors were sold at Mercury dealers.
I forgot that people wouldn’t know about Mercury, Meteors and Frontenacs
Didn’t really know about difference between Monarch and Mercury.

Last edited:
Had a 1978 Oldsmobile Firenza, I bought new, with a Chevy 305, biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. Had to sign off on knowing it was an Oldsmobile with a Chevy engine in it when I bought it. All kinds of things rang true for other countries that they didn't do here. The 80's Monte Carlo built here had a 305, built for Mexico, it came with a Grand prix dash and a 350. Rules and regulation in other countries made it easier to think outside of the box. There'd be thousands of these Pontiacs, if thousand had been ordered in Canada.

We had a 1964 Pontiac Strato-Chief for a few years.
It had a Chevy 283 and a powerglide, manual brakes and manual steering.
Looked like a tempest (but it wasn't).
My uncle got it cheap for my grandfather because the fuel pump leaked and filled the crankcase with gas.
They painted it with oil base house paint and a roller.
It had very little compression but ran really smooth.
My dad used to say it "couldn't pull itself out of a paper bag" when it was cold.
He drove it for years after my grandfather died.
I think it took three trips to the parts store to find the correct wheel cylinder.
Replacing the carrier bearing was equally frustrating.

We had a 63 Pontiac Laurentian two door sedan, Chev 230 six cylinder 3 on the tree that I learned to drive on.

Auto Transport Service
Back