• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold Headaches

ODZKing

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
1973 Dodge Charger SE, 400 HP 4bbl.
I have had an issue since day one with this. The exhaust manifold passenger side is constantly springing a leak. We tried gaskets even though I am aware they didn't have gaskets from the factory, they blew out. So I had the manifold plained and reinstalled, that worked for about 4-5 years but it is back. I can't do this myself so I have to take it somewhere and the fellow who looked at it recently says we should try another gasket, this time a hi temp racing gasket. I have a feeling I know what the outcome will be but what other options do I have. (no - headers).
Anyone been though this nonsense?

Is it running lean and overheating the manifold, does it ever glow orange from driving? Are the bolts too tight?

get another manifold. could be that one is just a POS, Chrysler did make some crap in the 70s....

Look at the mating surface on the head. I was installing Doug's headers on a set of 452 heads and noticed a ridge. I had to grind (taper) the flange on the headers to compensate. (Just throwing this out there)
Screenshot_2017-03-29-00-13-05.jpg

Have you replaced the studs, nuts and bolts, if they are original maybe they suffer from fatigue and could be stretched therefore not able to stay torqued through the heat cycles. If they are new, hopefully they are not Chinese metal, which can stretch because they may not be hardened correctly and their metals is not always as good as the originals.

Belt sander time. Better yet an old time machine shop will have a large table sander to do a touch up on cylinder heads. They flatten up real quick so be careful and use a straight edge.

They were done (plained) last time, last about 3 years.
My mechanic suggested racing gaskets as well. I guess I'll have him try that first.
Thanks

You have been paying so much attention to the manifold, but how is the surface on the cylinder head. Clean it good and try seeing if the surface is true.

I've had luck with the cheap shiny gaskets and copper rtv when I have one causing trouble

Auto Transport Service
Back