• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust pipe size with a 440

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Looking to replace exhaust system on '73 Charger SE. The stock 440 exhaust system has 2 1/4 inch OD exhaust piping. I originally thought it was supposed to be 2 1/2 inch. I want the system to scavenge properly and don't think 2 1/2 inch would hurt. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think 2.5” would be fine. Any engine or header modifications?

Some OEM Mopar systems were also 2-1/2” to the mufflers and 2-1/4” tailpipes.

Some OEM Mopar systems were also 2-1/2” to the mufflers and 2-1/4” tailpipes.
Duals? What OEM cars came with 2 1/2" pipe? Only had one OEM 440 powered car and iirc, it had 2" or 2 1/4" dual exhaust on it. Wouldn't think that an early emissions lower compression engine would have anything bigger than a 2 1/4 on it.....

The Mopar Engines manual recommends 2-1/2". Engine masters did a whole episode on exhaust
system sizes on the dyno and found that 3" was optimal, but 2-1/2" was right there. So many choices!

I like the way mine runs..... with 3 1/2 to the bumper.
Edit: to be honest, it's probably too big. I built it in anticipation of the 520 I'm building. I didn't want to change the header flange ( homemade four bolt) and reducers aren't available for my flange, so I just used the same size tubing as the collector.

Last edited:
I have a 383 that has 2.5" TTI and it runs real good.
I also have a 440 car thats 2.25" manifold to tail pipe and it runs just as well.
Both car are fairly close to stock internally

IMO a 2.25" system on a stock B / RB engine car will be just fine untill it gets lots of mods or starts living in high rpm range all the time

Duals? What OEM cars came with 2 1/2" pipe? Only had one OEM 440 powered car and iirc, it had 2" or 2 1/4" dual exhaust on it. Wouldn't think that an early emissions lower compression engine would have anything bigger than a 2 1/4 on it.....
68/69 440 b-bodies had 2 1/2 h-pipe head pipes, and 2 1/4 tailpipes.

I never understood why Ma Mopar put the 2-1/2" pipes back to the mufflers, and then choked down to 2-1/4" tailpipes. Wonder if it was engineered that way for a reason, or just to make it easier to get the smaller tailpipes in between the springs and gas tank on the production line?

I never understood why Ma Mopar put the 2-1/2" pipes back to the mufflers, and then choked down to 2-1/4" tailpipes. Wonder if it was engineered that way for a reason, or just to make it easier to get the smaller tailpipes in between the springs and gas tank on the production line?
The exhaust cools significantly at the muffler,so less volume of gasses. So it doesn't need to be as large, and also for clearance reasons. (And smaller pipe is cheaper!).

My experience has been the big blocks have 2-1/2 exhaust pipes and a 2-1/4 tailpipe. I've had a 383 69 Charger, 70 Superbee 440 six pack and a 71 GTX with a 440. That was the exhaust on all of them.

Auto Transport Service
Back