• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Explain this unfairness.

RXTREME

Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
Explain this ridiculousness.

IMG_8767.png

IMG_8766.png

For the record, I see the same thing as you. Chevy parts are always cheaper than our stuff. The reason is because of popularity and production numbers, FAR more Chevelles were built, far more remain to be restored so the market for Chevrolet parts will be bigger. This is basic economics, not anything political.

For example....

1710397965348.png

442,000 cars? That is over 5 times as many cars versus ours. Sure, that number included station wagons and 4 doors but those are excellent parts donors, right?

Last edited:
Explain this ridiculousness.
It probably costs a similar amount to build a stamping die for a Chevy and a Mopar.

The 'unfairness' kicks in because AMD can probably sell hundreds of times the number of Mopar panels due to the popularity.....hence cost per stamped unit is less for a Chevy.
It's just simple economics of scale.

For the record, I see the same thing as you. Chevy parts are always cheaper than our stuff. The reason is because of popularity and production numbers, FAR more Chevelles were built, far more remain to be restored so the market for Chevrolet parts will be bigger. This is basic economics, not anything political.

For example....

View attachment 1627478

442,000 cars? That is over 5 times as many cars versus ours. Sure, that number included station wagons and 4 doors but those are excellent parts donors, right?
If you were to narrow it down, it's 10 times more than a 70 charger.
I think there's a lot of 70 front, 69 rear fenders out there for this reason. You can't buy em at all.
The whole classic car thing is a pain in the ***.

If you compare 69 models of Chevelle and Charger, it is about 4 1/2 to 1.
The 1970 Charger production dropped off to around 45,000 cars partially due to the Challenger pulling some sales from the Charger sales figures.
1970 Chevelle vs Charger would be like you stated, nearly 10 to 1.

Last edited:
Another difference in cost could be due to what you don’t see in those pictures. A Charger has a pretty extensive inner structure but is the Chevelle fender just a plain skin? If so, that would certainly explain the price difference.

Try buying anything new for a 65 Coronet, then get back with me.

It just doesn't matter. Chevelles are okay cars but give me a choice between an LS6 Chevelle or a Hemi Charger and it's an easy one to make.

I thumb through some co-workers NPD Camaro, Chevelle or Mustang catalogs. It's stupid how cheap their stuff is. No wonder there are so many of each at every cruise night or car show. Almost makes me want to switch brands..... I said almost.

I thumb through some co-workers NPD Camaro, Chevelle or Mustang catalogs. It's stupid how cheap their stuff is. No wonder there are so many of each at every cruise night or car show. Almost makes me want to switch brands..... I said almost.
I've built a few GM's and they are by far more fun to buy for. It's not about parts with them most of the time, like all builds, its usually about money and how deep your pockets are.

....and also consider this......

Chevy, Ford, or what-ever brand parts manufacturers get technical support from the brand manufacturers.

ANYTHING Mopar related has to be COMPLETELY reverse engineered as the manufacturers get absolutely no support what-so-ever.....no technical drawings, no engineering specs, no nothing....

So the initial cost of Research & Development is a big part of the cost of Mopar parts. It has to be built into the final pricing or no one on the face of the planet would even be able to get these parts made......unless they won the Powerball and didn't care about money.

Smaller unit production runs demand a higher price compared to other brands as the initial cost of setting up the machinery/tooling is the same whether you make 100 parts or a thousand parts....so that has to be factored into the equation.

Rest assured, any Mopar repo part that has a "Mopar Approved" sticker on it has never been touched by Mopar....it's just a fee that Mopar collects without having to do a damn thing.

Charger is a specialty, high end body.

Instead, Coronet production should be compared to chevelle production.

...and I'd use 1969 numbers rather than 1970 numbers due to the polarizing 1970 Coronet styling.

Coronet will still be lower, but it will be a more realistic proportion.

If you really want to, you could compare monte carlo production to Charger production.

MUCH more level playing field and more similar product.

Of course, I'd bet the monte carlo fender is still much closer to the price of the chevelle fender than the Charger fender.

If they only made fenders for a Coronet. That is more frustrating than the price. Lol

I heard many years ago that Chrysler destroyed all tooling within two years after that model year was finished - or that part was no longer current.

Ford & Chevy were stamping their panels out for way longer after a model finished.

Auto Transport Service
Back