• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Explain this unfairness.

As Mark stated, the Mopar fenders have more complexity to them. There is the outer stamping, the forward facing portion that intersects with the core support and from what I recall, more structural bracing in them.
The GM stuff was either full frame or partial frame. Their fenders were just outer skins. They had separate wheel liners

Another difference in cost could be due to what you don’t see in those pictures. A Charger has a pretty extensive inner structure but is the Chevelle fender just a plain skin? If so, that would certainly explain the price difference.
that too... :thumbsup:

Bingo - Steve Carrol agressive finger pointing.gif

The reason why most
building a hotrod are blinded
by the dollar sign. I could
have easily dropped an LS3
in where the nostalgic 440
now resides. Where's the
loyalty in that when one is
building a legacy?
I took on a first time build
of a Mopar for a reason.

I'm glad to be able to get the parts being produced. We all wish they were less expensive.
If AMD or other manufacturers of these parts went out of business it would make finding parts even more difficult and expensive.
When I was working on my friends '67 Mustang, I noticed that parts for them were pretty cheap compared to a Mopar, but they have the high production numbers, and several companies making the same parts.
There is also the quality of the parts. The AMD stuff is pretty nice.
back in the 1980's when I was working on the '71 Charger, all I could find for rear quarter patch panels was from JC Whitney. They were not all that expensive, but there were not even close to the correct shape. Looked almost like flat sheet metal with the wheel opening cut and flanged. I cut them up for what I needed, but it would have been the same if I just started with sourcing flat sheet metal as I had to hand form it anyway.

Those of us who have been in this hobby a long time remember the days when there were no aftermarket sheetmetal parts for Mopars. Here in the rustbelt you would have to part out two or three cars to build one,and you still didn't have great pieces to work with.

Auto Transport Service
Back