• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exploring options for fan shroud....

belvy1

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking into adding a fan shroud to my "66 Belvedere to help with cooling while in stop and go traffic situations. The trick is, I have an after market 22" , 3 core aluminum radiator, and want to keep my clutch fan set up. Are there any QUALITY universal shrouds out there? How about custom options? I also thought about buying the stock mopar shroud and fabbing custom brackets to mount. Any experience out there with this set up?

Thanks.

On my 63 Sport Fury I put an aftermarket Afco rad I bought from Mancini and I wanted to do the same thing as what you want to do. So I went to a junk yard and got a shroud from a V/6 Dakota truck. I modified it some and made it work. Its not perfect but it works good for me. Here is a pic of it when I was done. I also see some guys make their shrouds from aluminum and some of them really look nice. Ron

100_1489.jpg

X 2 ron... I did a similar thing on my fairlane from a junk yard I used a rasp file and drilled some holes I measured everything and made a template out of cardboard and coat hangers then went to the yard and found something that was close enough..

i have fabbed up a few with just some basic sheet metal skills.1 sheet of aluminum,jig saw with metal blade, and a few bending skills is all it takes.you can even put it together with rivets instead of tig welding it.

Looks great....I'll see what I can find.

On my 63 Sport Fury I put an aftermarket Afco rad I bought from Mancini and I wanted to do the same thing as what you want to do. So I went to a junk yard and got a shroud from a V/6 Dakota truck. I modified it some and made it work. Its not perfect but it works good for me. Here is a pic of it when I was done. I also see some guys make their shrouds from aluminum and some of them really look nice. Ron

100_1489.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I am watching that one as we speak.

A liquor bottle and a fire extinguisher strap for some ideas on oer flow

How did you guys mount the shroud? That's probably the biggest challenge.

X 2 ron... I did a similar thing on my fairlane from a junk yard I used a rasp file and drilled some holes I measured everything and made a template out of cardboard and coat hangers then went to the yard and found something that was close enough..

That's kinda what I'm looking at......the factory shroud sticks out the sides like you say. Off center quite a bit also.

I made my own from fiberglass. The issue i had with my aftermarket rad is that the 19" fan extended so near the edge of the rad core on three sides that the shroud had to bulge outside of the rad core on three sides. So any sheetmetal kit i found would have to be welded or look really bad IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?67541-My-DIY-fan-shroud-project

For what it's worth, this is what I did. Bought the universal shroud kit, made the brackets, and fitted the shroud. There is sticky back foam strip between the shroud and the radiator.
Joel

Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpg

How did you guys mount the shroud? That's probably the biggest challenge.

I used the straps like the ones that come in a trans cooler kit. You know the ones that go through the rad core and take a plastic type of washer that grabs the strap and holds it there They worked good for me and are still holding up well. If you look in the upper left (drivers side) corner of my shroud you can see the backside of one as its about an inch in diameter. Ron

- - - Updated - - -

ron I like your old skool overflow catch bottle.

Yea I put that in kinda in a hurry when I put the eng in the car and just never got around to changing it. It actually works fine and the officials at the track have never said anything about it. Ron

i mount mine with the bolts that hold the rad in place.just use bolts coming through from grill side as studs.same as i mounted this electric fan set up.i6206.jpg

That looks like the best way to do it. I'll just have to fab some custom brackets to adapt once I actually find a shroud.

i mount mine with the bolts that hold the rad in place.just use bolts coming through from grill side as studs.same as i mounted this electric fan set up.View attachment 204867

Auto Transport Service
Back