• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extra Garage?

upload_2021-5-17_20-51-8.jpeg
Here’s mine going up- and built, ready for concrete and driveway. I’ll put up a more current photo with the lights and everything later
upload_2021-5-17_20-53-14.jpeg
upload_2021-5-17_20-53-14.jpeg
View attachment 1111534 View attachment 1111544

It looks like you don't have a poured cement foundation. After foundation was poured for mine I had to have it inspected by town and was questioned whether there was rebar in it. Luckily I took pictures as it was being poured but the architect had to sign off that rebar was installed. Then they had to inspect framing and that hurricane braces were installed.

No foundation for a pole barn. Poles go 4 feet down and sit on 8x24 inch round concrete footing. Then it’s built kinda like a fence with a header on top that the trusses sit on. The floor is poured inside it. Rebar and mesh.
I had a footing inspection, framing, rebar, then final. In that order.

I would have loved to do a foundation building, but it’s a champagne taste and beer budget kind of thing.
Anyhow I have my space and it’ll last longer than me.

Trust me when I say that you'll want 10' wide garage doors. Now, if you're at 36' wide, you might as well go to at least 40'. It'll look better proportioned. Draw it out on graph paper to see the proportions.

My garage above has two 10'-0" wide X 8'-0" tall left & right & a 12'-0" wide X 12" tall door in the center. The 12'-0" wide gives enough room to walk through the opening without getting too close to a vehicle.
9’x8’ doors are sufficient. You’ll need high overhead tracks if you’re putting in a lift.

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong quote. I meant to grab Dadsbee's
I knew what you were talkin about, but I thought I'd let you hang yourself some more! LOL Shop is 60' wide x 30 deep, wish I'd done 45 deep. 50 x 100 hangar is pretty full most days and too much work to make mouse proof, let alone insulate and heat the bugger. I was going to put a bowling lane in the "attic" originally... lol
DCP05117.JPG

DCP05124.JPG

DCP05121.JPG

I ordered a garage from menards a month ago. One 18' door one 10'. 24' deep. 34' wide 10' tall and matches the house siding and shingles. No pictures yet...still waiting on the 10' door and the shingles ..18' door and rafters have arrived.

If you want a lift I would suggest 12 or better 14 ft.

We are also putting up a 30 x 50x 12. It has 13'6 ceilings in the center, planning on finishing the inside... Its up against a 52' x175' that is cold in the winter.
20210406_180703.jpg

I like 70' x 30'.... Wall off a 10' X 30" section for the machine shop at one end, mechanical service gets another 10' section walled off, and body work gets another 10'... Seal these sections off so dirt doesn't migrate but put in a man door so you can pass between them.... I actually picked up a few small roll up doors (7' tall & 4' wide) for/from a Mini-Storage to allow free travel when no dirty work is going on... Also planned to use one to the outside of the body work section to allow air movement through the dirtiest section without having to open it to the other sections...

Nice thing about all these walled off sections besides controlling dirt? You have walls to park tool boxes, work benches, shop equipment, etc...

Need a full sized roll up door for the mechanical & body sections, not needed but nice for the machine shop section...

Anyway this still leaves you 30' X 40' for finished cars, equipment. etc....

Light panels in the roof tend to deteriorate over the years, windows at normal height are a security concern... Windows mounted high in the wall provide light & can be setup to offer ventilation...

Put plenty of piping in the ground, water, sewer, electrical, ethernet...

Plenty more to think about...

I don't know why,but when done, for some reason it's never big enough...

Great thread and some great looking garages! I'm trying to get a building built that will serve for storage or serve as a big one car garage. I initially told the builder to go with the standard wood frame construction but since then I told him to look at a metal frame if it's no more expensive than wood. Building has to match the house, 15x22, 12 ft garage door, workbench down one side, side door, basic electrical and lighting, no heat or AC. The building is solely for storage. I'll either put my Bee (currently occupies 1 side of my garage) in it or "stuff" (mower, golf cart, work bench, etc.) that currently occupies the other side of my attached 2 car garage. My mission is to free up one side so that my wife can finally park under the garage. My truck will stay outside on the parking pad.

I just ordered my pole barn, 42’x96’ I asked the question on this forum about stick vs wood. But that size in stick was going to run me about 300k and this pole barn said and done 200k. Plans should arrive in few weeks then I’ll pull building permit. The barn will be getting its own meter I just sent the check for that viewing just to design electrical with Nevada was 1000.00. I’ll post more pics and start a thread on it when plans get approved. The builder is Cleary many details to still work out.

Wood prices have gone thru the roof !

If you drive a pickup truck in, you'll wish you had 10 footers.

My truck has about a foot clearance on each side with 10' wide doors, which is comfortable.. My old house had 9' wide doors and I had to be extra careful pulling in or out.

PXL_20210518_105230641.jpg

Metal is also vary high if called many people for both wood and stick metal goes up 10 to 15% every month or so. High demand and not much surplus with that it will take maybe 8 months to a year to start this project up. Hopefully not but I’m not counting on it.

I'm done, I refuse to play into this game of how much can I push till they stall the economy. With me It's the principal of the whole thing. Screw them!!

I was chatting with a builder that's coming out later this week to talk more on the build. He said metal prices and wood prices now are pert near the same...

My truck has about a foot clearance on each side with 10' wide doors, which is comfortable.. My old house had 9' wide doors and I had to be extra careful pulling in or out.

View attachment 1111692
Like that elevated wall foundation...suppose it keeps more critters out..

Auto Transport Service
Back