• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extremely Rotted Fender Tag - Possible 69 R/T Charger w/ 4spd & Track Pak?

Indetrucks

Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have the opportunity to buy a T5 Copper 69 R/T Charger w/ 4speed. It has been rotisserie restored, but has no build sheet and the fender tag has seen better days.
I will try to get "bigger" pics of the tag, but this is what I have for now (see attached).
The face of the tag is practically useless with all the rot, but when you flip it over and mirror the image, it's much easier to decode.
While I have tried my best, I would still like additional sets of eyes to confirm it's what it's claimed to be (sorry for the tiny pic).

How concerned should I be without a build sheet present? Is there a registry somewhere that might have additional info on the car based on the fender tag?

Here is what I came up with on my own:

1st Line
N85 - Tachometer
R22 - AM Radio with 8 Track (10 Watts)
V1X - Full Vinyl Top Black
V68 - Longitudinal Stripes Delete
26 - 26in Radiator
END - End of Sales Codes

2nd Line
A33 - Track Pak w/3.54 ratio
C16 - Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55 - Bucket Seats
G11 - Tinted Glass (all)
M21 - Roof drip rail moldings
M31 - Belt Moldings

3rd Line
T5 - Copper Poly
C6X - Trim - Charger, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
X9 - Black Int. Door Frames
225 - Build Date 2/25/69
068478 - Order Number

4th Line
E86 - 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D21 - 4 Speed Manual Transmission
X - Charger
S - Charger R/T
29 - 2-door sports hardtop
L - 440ci/375hp 4-bbl V8
9 - 69
B - Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI
XXXXXX - production number (omitted because internet)

(post question answered, deleted the tag photos for precautions)

Last edited:
Unlike the 68's, you're able to tie the vin to the fender tag.

As far as your decode, only thing I notice is "V68" is probably "V88"? (Transverse (Bumblebee) instead of longitudinal.... delete none the less; R/T emblem present on the rear of the quarters instead of stripe)

Yes,that is where the codes are. I wouldn't worry too much about the broadcast sheet, if the body numbers check out.

That is a nice one! The car, not the tag, lol.

That is a nice one! The car, not the tag, lol.
Sure hope so, trying to do as much homework as possibly before I buy the plane ticket and fly in to check it out. It's not cheap so I REALLY appreciate everyone's input here :)

Sure hope so, trying to do as much homework as possibly before I buy the plane ticket and fly in to check it out. It's not cheap so I REALLY appreciate everyone's input here :)
Doesn't get much better than a T5 copper, 4-speed, black bucket seat interior B body in my eyes.....

Doesn't get much better than a T5 copper, 4-speed, black bucket seat interior B body in my eyes.....
Agree, and just confirmed the Radiator support partial VIN matches. Rear quarters were replaced during the restoration, so no partial on that rear lip.

(post question answered, deleted the photo for precautions)

Last edited:
I've heard that for 383 4-speed Chargers as well, but I owned 1 of them.

Hey guys,
I have the opportunity to buy a T5 Copper 69 R/T Charger w/ 4speed. It has been rotisserie restored, but has no build sheet and the fender tag has seen better days.
I will try to get "bigger" pics of the tag, but this is what I have for now (see attached).
The face of the tag is practically useless with all the rot, but when you flip it over and mirror the image, it's much easier to decode.
While I have tried my best, I would still like additional sets of eyes to confirm it's what it's claimed to be (sorry for the tiny pic).

How concerned should I be without a build sheet present? Is there a registry somewhere that might have additional info on the car based on the fender tag?

Here is what I came up with on my own:

1st Line
N85 - Tachometer
R22 - AM Radio with 8 Track (10 Watts)
V1X - Full Vinyl Top Black
V68 - Longitudinal Stripes Delete
26 - 26in Radiator
END - End of Sales Codes

2nd Line
A33 - Track Pak w/3.54 ratio
C16 - Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55 - Bucket Seats
G11 - Tinted Glass (all)
M21 - Roof drip rail moldings
M31 - Belt Moldings

3rd Line
T5 - Copper Poly
C6X - Trim - Charger, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
X9 - Black Int. Door Frames
225 - Build Date 2/25/69
068478 - Order Number

4th Line
E86 - 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D21 - 4 Speed Manual Transmission
X - Charger
S - Charger R/T
29 - 2-door sports hardtop
L - 440ci/375hp 4-bbl V8
9 - 69
B - Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI
303851 - production number

View attachment 1558601
View attachment 1558596
View attachment 1558605
View attachment 1558599
I would get a reproduction fender tag for your car seeing that you have the original tag as proof of how the car was originally equipped.

Starting in 1968, a/c was not available on 440 4-speed cars. It was on automatics.
What I always thought was interesting is that a 440 automatic car with air got the 375 horsepower motor whereas a 383 Roadrunner or Super Bee with air got the 330 horsepower motor instead of the 335 horsepower motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back