• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F.A.S.T. 505/535 build

I am leaning more and more toward a big inch, 543 build. Coupled with the best ported 906s & a cam made for factory manifolds, what would be a realistic ET & more importantly mph?

At Standard Conditions and 4,000 lb race weight (you might go as high a 4100 with the factory A/C and power steering) , about 118 mph with heavily modified 178 intake and factory carb.

with a 1.9 second 60' time, about 11.7
with a 1.7 second 60' time, about 11.4.

IMO

Hi Matt,
Cody and I don't even do cylinder heads anymore, out of the business. Have already turned down a lot of work this year in the engine department. I probably won't be of much help but the in-box is cleared.

Good to hear from you Jim, sorry to hear you've left the game.
I've also followed the board's advice, and reached out to Dwayne, in his PM he told me he's also done building engines/porting since about 10 years...

Do you guys and gals know of a good engine builder, preferably with f.a.s.t. experience, that is currently active?

Since you want to run stock rocker arms, it be worth your time to look up Mr. Sixpack. Bob Karakasian, and his Pure stock builds.

It was mentioned earlier in a post that the 68 Charger would not be competitive in Pure Stock????. Yes it is true, you would not be running with the max wedge, Hemi, and six pack cars. But you will be well behind those cars in F.A.S.T. also, not to mention those cars usually take at least 110 octane fuel, and are stock looking modified RACE cars.

Spending a ton of money on head porting and more cubes, then hitting a performance wall by running pump gas with the factory HP manifolds is going to be spending a ton of money with very little to show for it. On top of that your talking about using stock rockers that don’t survive long over .5” lift, that will not begin to use the flow of a highly ported head.

You might want to consider the Pure Stock build direction (which you indicated your a fan of) over F.A.S.T….. They lax’d the rules some in Pure stock so you can play with the cam a little more. It has to pass a vacuum rule. The engine can run 1.5 higher compression than the factory rating, in addition, lighter pistons, thin rings, H beams rods, fancy valve jobs, are all are updates you can do to the engine in pure stock.

Since you want to run stock rocker arms, it be worth your time to look up Mr. Sixpack. Bob Karakasian, and his Pure stock builds.

It was mentioned earlier in a post that the 68 Charger would not be competitive in Pure Stock????. Yes it is true, you would not be running with the max wedge, Hemi, and six pack cars. But you will be well behind those cars in F.A.S.T. also, not to mention those cars usually take at least 110 octane fuel, and are stock looking modified RACE cars.

Spending a ton of money on head porting and more cubes, then hitting a performance wall by running pump gas with the factory HP manifolds is going to be spending a ton of money with very little to show for it. On top of that your talking about using stock rockers that don’t survive long over .5” lift, that will not begin to use the flow of a highly ported head.

You might want to consider the Pure Stock build direction (which you indicated your a fan of) over F.A.S.T….. They lax’d the rules some in Pure stock so you can play with the cam a little more. It has to pass a vacuum rule. The engine can run 1.5 higher compression than the factory rating, in addition, lighter pistons, thin rings, H beams rods, fancy valve jobs, are all are updates you can do to the engine in pure stock.
This.

I missed that he wanted to keep the stock rockers. New et and mph prediction, 12.7 at 108 mph.

To the OP, you probably need more help as the knowledge gap you're trying to fill is pretty big. Talking girdles and 300+ cfm heads but using stamped steel rocker arms and roller cams is very disjointed thinking.

I couldn't agree more; being geographically isolated from the mopar world with only the internet as a lifeline makes aquiring knowledge that more difficult. When I wrote my first post I set out with a humble approach, and with an openess to have my previous notions rebuked. A great example is the rockers, I have read they are a good and sturdy design, and aesthetically I would have wanted to avoid the modern solid rectangular rocker shape. I had no idea they mattered so much, I do know now.

However I think I made a good decision to come here, where I can educate myself on what matters, so I can take my project to completion.

Having re-read the rules after my first post, I see stamped rockers are required in psmcdr, fast doesn't say anything. As long as the factory turqoise covers stay on, I can live with bright orange monoliths for rockers. Though I have also seen shaft designs much closer to stock-appearing.

Perhaps it is also a good idea that I decided to search for a good engine builder so the motor would be built right.

I would prefer a fast build over psmcdr, having given the matter some thought.

I hope time spent here will be time well spent!

So to reiterate, and amend my list of stock parts:
- intake
- hp manifolds
- heads
- carb

anything else is a go, including rockers, external oil system, big inch strokers.

So are there good engine builders that could do a FAST engine with the above considerations?

I use to work for Extrude Hone. We would flow stock factory Iron dual Planes. then pump them for basic flow improvements. Then we would block the best flowing ports and pump the weak ones to even the flow. Also did the same on Iron log exhaust manifolds. This was pretty popular to do on Circle track lower class cars that required stock intakes and exhausts.

Good to hear from you Jim, sorry to hear you've left the game.
I've also followed the board's advice, and reached out to Dwayne, in his PM he told me he's also done building engines/porting since about 10 years...

Do you guys and gals know of a good engine builder, preferably with f.a.s.t. experience, that is currently active?
Bill Atwood of Auto Service of Old Saybrook. I’ve worked with him on several FAST engine builds including my own.
Welcome to Auto Service of Old Saybrook

Bill

22FAC7C9-45AB-4CEE-BCA9-B0B38CC5BE35.jpeg

I have access to most of the answers you need.
E1A767A5-04B3-4959-9C6F-25BE42097A7C.jpeg
CC129FF4-EBB5-49EB-A8EA-CE0D4B7A60C9.jpeg

Thank you so much, for the past hour I am chewing through what you sent me. I will also contact the Auto Service of Old Saybrook - gotta say it has a very nice ring to it!

Auto Transport Service
Back