• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

factory body filler

jessipup

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I have read many opinions on all sides of body filler. But what got me wondering is what filler did the factory use and why does it hold up so well?
After spend bunches of time wandering salvage yards I keep seeing a seam on each side at the top of the rear quarter where it meets the roof, and it seems to me that there are way too many and all in the same place to be roof replacments.

Thanks

Confused

X2 factory lead. Old timers in body shops were great at using lead and you have to have a nack to using it,having it stick,and how to smooth it while hot using wood spoons.
Very few use it anymore. I know of one shop in PA that does on his restorations.He resently has been teaching his 20 year old son to carry on the tradition.

x3. Lead. I found lead in those seams your talking about.

More Filler Questions

Almost have my 68 RR stripped complete for media blast. Trying to get the filler out of the rain gutter. it is not lead. it was under the vinyl top. it filled a seam between the top and the rain gutter.
it looks like polyester filler (bondo) slightly pink, hard as a rock, and just as hard to get out of the track (some is still completely bonded).
just wondering if someone has removed this and how to put it back in. thinking about making a skinny squeedge, using filler and then patiently sanding.
may not put the vinyl top back on, and just painting gloss black.
any ideas about the filler?
thanks
pt in Tennessee

1 owner, numbers correct, 68 Roadrunner

Should be seam sealer their. 3m makes a good seam sealer and you can use your index finger to spread it while it is wet.

My '70 road runner hard top had factory lead between the roof and quarter panel joint. However, a Satellite parts car that I pulled apart had a vinyl roof, and under that there was pink filler, not lead. I thought at the time that maybe the factory used a cheaper fill method where a painted finish wasn't being used.

This was 25 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I was the first person to lift that vinyl roof.

-=Photon440=-

Filler

Yes, i agree as i see the same in my 68 RR. i know this car was never wrecked or repaired. my wife bought it dealer new.
it does have the same pinkish filler at the roof to trunk/quarter pillar. there is no lead. i have sanded this area out looking for the joint, but no lead. this is the same looking filler i was asking about in the rain gutters.
i talked to an old timer this weekend and he said it was a type of seam sealer they used in the rain gutters. he also thought that there should be lead at the rear pillar/roof transition. So now more confused.
thanks
pt in tennessee
OH, forgot mine was a vinyl top also.

Last edited:
All steel body joints, ie roof to qtr panel etc had lead. The rain gutter used a seam filler. I believe it was a latex based caulk.

My 69 RoadRunner came with a vinyl top which had never been off. There was filler, not lead, at the quarter/roof seam. My 68 which did NOT have a vinyl top had lead there.

My 69 RoadRunner came with a vinyl top which had never been off. There was filler, not lead, at the quarter/roof seam. My 68 which did NOT have a vinyl top had lead there.

I guess that is quite possible since the roof was covered with the vinyl top no need to finish it (smooth) for shiney paint.

My 68 GTX is a factory vinyl top car but has a leaded seam where the top meets the 1/4.

My 68 GTX is a factory vinyl top car but has a leaded seam where the top meets the 1/4.

So did my 69' roadrunner that came with a Vinyl top originally. Also found brass in the trunk rain gutters up on the corners by the deck filler. I replaced the seam sealer that was in the drip rail gutters with the 3M Heavy seam sealer.

I too have pulled original vinyl tops off and found the pink filler, and have pulled tops off and found lead, I think it depends on year and probably what they had available, you gotta remember the quality control was not the best!!

Will the lead run out if you put heat to it? I know it has a lower heat tolerance, which is why they used it. I need to drill out some panels soon...

Auto Transport Service
Back