• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory break in ?

brasil

Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
..just talked to a friend of mine.... about Mopars ( what else :) ?) and we came to a special question.....

...back in the "old days" when our cars were fabricated... how did they "break in" the camshaft /lifter combo ??
As far as I know..the engines were built somewere.... and than sometimes stocked.. and /or delivered to the assembly line.. Installed in the car...and then they stated the engine and drove off he assembly line...

BUT when did they break in the cam ??

Greetings Juergen

Actually if memory serves me weren't all 426 wedge motors dyno tested after they were made or was that another motor?

the 426 wedge.. may be? But what´s about he 361 383 440 or 318 aso.... ? I can´t believe that the factory put them all on a dyno.... before the installation...

My 1967 Plymouth Belvedere's owners manual page 13, states:

BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS. A long break-in period is not required for your new car. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles. After the initial 50 miles, speeds up to 50 or 60 mph are desirable. When cruising, brief full-throttle accelerations contribute to a good break-in (with in the limits of state and local traffic laws) Wide-open throttle accelerations in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided for at least 500 miles.

@ 440 ronnie 67... thank you for your answer, but my question was a little more specific.... "Today" when we change the cam or rebuilt an engine...we have to make a "Break In " ..to match the cam to the lifters....

So what did the "factory " do back in thoses days, when our cars were Brand New built.... did they break in the cam in the factory..? or did they just complete the engine...droped them in... and that was it

Greetings Juergen

Perhaps a former automobile worker is a member here.. ??

Eos

I worked for a local Chevrolet dealer while a senior in high school about 1973. I remember the was a small can of stuff call EOS (engine oil supplement) that we added to newly rebuilt or assembled engines called "Whale Tail Oil" that was later deemed not good for the whales, so they went to something else. it was also loaded with zinc. it seemed expensive then as it was about $14-16 then. new factory engines also had "break-in oil" that was the equivalent to 10 weight non-detergent oil, very thin. you would run this for 500-1000 miles before the first change. we used to get the used break-in oil and take it home for our lawn mowers.
the name may not be totally correct, but it was whale something.
just my 2 cents.
pt in tennessee

... so did the factory do the same? When the engine was new... did they made a "break in " BEFORE they put the engine in the car. ? On a "Dyno" or so.... or did they break in the engine ( CAM /LIFTER !!) when the engine was allready in the car...
or..3 rd possibilty they just put the newly assembled engine in the car... put some gas in the tank...started the engine and drove off the assembly line...

Greetings Juergen

As far as I remember most factory's ran their engs about 1/2 hr or long enough to break in the cam. They usually told you to keep the speed to 60 mph or less but burst up to 60 mph is good to help the rings seal. When I did eng rebuilds a paper with these instructions would come in the piston ring package. All oils had plenty of zinc as it was not even thought about back in the days before the 80's. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back