• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Thats a nice looking bird Elk has there! Will,That drive train is going to make it come down for certain, but it appears in the pictures there's enough space there that it would come out just about right, planned Will? or am i guessing.. Anything that looks good on this build doesn't surprise me watching all of this come about.

there's enough space there that it would come out just about right, planned Will? or am i guessing

Thanks Ron...You guessed it, planned out that way and it's coming together thus far thankfully. A guy almost needs to have a crystal ball to envision all the details of his build, but thanks to folks on here, their ideas, suggestions and rides sure makes it a heck of a lot easier. I remember on some of my other earlier resto's I would actually take the time to draw the car out to see what color of paint or wheels would look like on the car. Kinda miss doing that stuff. Maybe next car i'll do both.

She's coming down in the front Steve, just like Jay mentioned....I'll get about a 2" drop in the front from the drive-train, just enough to make the wheel opening about level or just a tad lower than the wheel. My driveway has a bit of a tilt towards the road, so her stance now looks like a rake to the front, but that's deceiving. Once the drive-train is in, the car will have pretty much the same rake to the front as the picture above appears to have. Only difference is the front wheel will be higher into the wheel well.

I based my rear wheels height off my desired RPM at highway speed with the 3.91's as well as Hunt2Elks rake on his bluebird. My rear will be about an inch higher because I have the Cal-Tracs underneath. Same springs/tire height though.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?3074-Tire-question-1968/page3

View attachment 101797

Well Will, that was nice to see my car sitting outside on green grass. It really makes me anxious to run it through the gears again this spring. It is patiently sitting under a cover while I spend all my time on the Charger resurection.

Soon enough Elk.....soon enough she'll be warming up. As for now, kicking off the day tomorrow Flying around a bit early morning, wasting AVGAS. Then off to join a buddy down on Lake Winnebago for Sturgeon spearing and maybe a couple spirits. After that, toss on a hundred or so miles on the sled. Once that's done, meeting up with a few more buddies and going to see a couple bands play on the Ice, maybe have a couple refreshments as well. Get up the next day...do it all over again. Heck I enjoy the winter almost as much as summer...(most of the time) Still looking forward to that first warm spring day though.

You guys have a good weekend!

Seeing your RR makes me want to reconsider going Y2 Yellow (My dads old roadrunner color) on my project. It just looks so good!...Buying my new welder this week so I'll probably be reading through your thread for the 4th time hahaha

Prop, you have so many pages in this thread I don't know where to start?! Car is looking killer and can't wait to see it on the road.

I still vote this thread needs to be turned into a hardcover book or at least a giant paperback.

I still vote this thread needs to be turned into a hardcover book or at least a giant paperback.

I asked him as a reference to my project..LOL But serioulsy I bet it could be put into orint with big color pictures and sold. I would pay for it. Not sure how much as really I am being lazy by not copying it but $10-$15 would be a good price for a narrated version by Will.

Beautiful job, that bird looks mean. Now if I can just get mine done, hoping for this spring but that's probably all it is "hope". Nice job

Prop, you have so many pages in this thread I don't know where to start?! Car is looking killer and can't wait to see it on the road.

I hear ya man..lol Needs to be in Chapters. Lot of off the beaten path jaw jacking going on, but hey...made some friends, learned some stuff and had fun along the way thus far with this thread.

I asked him as a reference to my project..LOL But serioulsy I bet it could be put into orint with big color pictures and sold. I would pay for it. Not sure how much as really I am being lazy by not copying it but $10-$15 would be a good price for a narrated version by Will.

Thanks Chris...I've put some serious thought into it. If a guy was to compile the meat and potato's of this thread and some of the other resto threads on here, someone could but together a pretty substantial B-Body restoration guide, one would think. Maybe when the bird gets done and another project doesn't end up in my garage, I would seriously toss around the idea of taking the time to do it. Now as far a narrating it..I don't know man. Beer may become part of "Tools for the Task". A chapter would be dedicated for tricks to diverting the wife's attention, and the glossary would have terms like "peanut butter weld" and "Rust Jerky".

Now as far a narrating it..I don't know man. Beer may become part of "Tools for the Task". A chapter would be dedicated for tricks to diverting the wife's attention, and the glossary would have terms like "peanut butter weld" and "Rust Jerky".

I have actually seen people rate jobs in beers of difficulty...ie this is a 3 beer job etc...

Maybe for each chapter you can start out with the quantity of beer required to complete the work in the chapter. "Step one get 76 bottles of beer"....yeah this example was rusty.

Will, I sent a pic of your car to my friend John for inspiration to keep him moving. Your car looks absolutely stunning and the choice of wheels was an excellent one, it really makes the car pop.
Let me know when your done so I can have the trailer there to pick it up and bring home.................to my place that is.

Will, I sent a pic of your car to my friend John for inspiration to keep him moving. Your car looks absolutely stunning and the choice of wheels was an excellent one, it really makes the car pop.
Let me know when your done so I can have the trailer there to pick it up and bring home.................to my place that is.

Wow man....That really means a lot. I appreciate it. Great to hear she's sporting enough class these days to spark some ambition to another. You know what it takes to resurrect these things...Keep on the guy, elbow deep in rust, grease and dirt. Before too long we'll be passing a picture of his ride along too keep the mojo burning for someone else.

Wow man....That really means a lot. I appreciate it. Great to hear she's sporting enough class these days to spark some ambition to another. You know what it takes to resurrect these things...Keep on the guy, elbow deep in rust, grease and dirt. Before too long we'll be passing a picture of his ride along too keep the mojo burning for someone else.

Will, You certainly have motivated me, The truth is, a long time ago when i seen this thread, even with dial up, especially with dial up at that time i literally spent hours sitting at my desk reading and not so patiently waiting for pictures to down load lol... Im sure this thread has and will motivate many others and give them hope when it seems its impossible at times! This whole section of the site is rated number one to me... You and so many other guys are true pros barr none here at this place, i don't care if heads get swelled up or not, anyone watching AND reading these should have come to that fact anyway..

I love you build tread Prop

:iamwithstupid: Hey Prop I went thru this long *** thread for the 1st time...LOL... kind of scanned it took some photos & added them to my archives, great informative build, she came a long way in the past couple years... your making me feel guilty, he he, mines not done after 7+ years now, even if I was also working on another 68 RR race car & my 99 4x4 Dakota at the same time, until about 3 years ago, when I sold the other RR to a friend... I guess I'm just procrastinating or accumulating parts or something {like the ducken' house, insulation, furniture & $10k A/C & heating units, etc.} or maybe because we have allot more sunshine or great weather out here in Calif. & get out more, with out doing as much work...LOL... I have a ton of parts accumulated now, I will be hopefully be getting my current 68 RR RM23 closer to completion, this summer & fall, probably not the paint yet {LL1}... thanks for the inspiration, I love you car, she has come along way for sure.... that photo of my car is from April 2011 still looks pretty much the same... I'm so ashamed...LOL... great looken RR Prop

Attachments

• Props 69 RR #1.jpg
    Props 69 RR #1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 68 RR #13 Apr 26 2011.JPG
    68 RR #13 Apr 26 2011.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 307
Any assembly progress on Da Stroker?:)

Short Block is Done Jay..Gotta get down there and pick up her up. Ready to roll with the top end. Getting pretty stoked!

Will, You certainly have motivated me, The truth is, a long time ago when i seen this thread, even with dial up, especially with dial up at that time i literally spent hours sitting at my desk reading and not so patiently waiting for pictures to down load lol... Im sure this thread has and will motivate many others and give them hope when it seems its impossible at times! This whole section of the site is rated number one to me... You and so many other guys are true pros barr none here at this place, i don't care if heads get swelled up or not, anyone watching AND reading these should have come to that fact anyway..

Ron.....I'm glad. I'd have to say we all motivate each other and that's one of the best parts about this site. Like you, i've learned a lot from all the great folks/threads on here. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Budnicks. Appreciate it. Doing the work is one thing, trying to find the time is another. I'm sure you'll be rockin on the bird soon enough. Hey, at least you have the parts..lol Looking forward to seeing your bird getting all that TLC here soon enough. Thanks again.

Got some more odds and ends wrapped up on the bird....Brakes are fully ready for the bleed. Splash Guards and seals are in. Other tid bits like body plugs and rubber bumpers got me pretty bored.

Decided to install the PST lower control arm stiffening plates, while in the car. Thought I'd post the install for those that were thinking about putting these on their own rides.

Plates look to be water jet cut...Nice quality, good price. Metal is 16 gauge.

5.jpg

Coated the backside of the plates with a couple coats of Zinc based weld-thru primer. Welding them on would burn off regular paint, leaving them unpainted they would rust. High Zinc content in the primer should hold up find down the road. Also cleaned the paint off the bottom of the lower control arms and sprayed some weld through primer on the mating surface.

4.jpg

Took of the wheels (avoid weld spatter), parts jigged up just fine..

3.jpg

Just hit it with the MIG, cleaned up with a tiger wheel..

2.jpg

Sprayed on a couple coats of Chassis black and called it done.

1.jpg

Overall, pretty easy to install in the car. It would be obviously easier out of the car being wedged upside down between a k-frame and cement isn't the most premium position to weld, but never the less still very doable. I'd say all said and done, if one was moving right along, you're looking at 1-2 hours worth of work.

Auto Transport Service
Back