• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan cage/sqirrel cage tragedy

Dibbons

Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
It's another one step forward/two steps back today in Mopar Land. Pulled the plastic squirrel cage off the heater motor blower during my heater box rebuild. It was stuck a little, so used some WD-40. Well, it finally came off but tiny bits and pieces of the plastic center hub went flying. It seems the plastic hub was old/hard/brittle and could not withstand my noble efforts. The sad thing is the blades were just fine and I could have left it alone (to fail at a later date?).

A quick internet search found nothing with respect to the squirrel cage itself (measures 5 1/2 inches in diamater and either 2 7/8 or 2 15/16 inches tall). Did not find anything new or used that seemed to match a complete blower motor with squirrel cage either. What does everyone else do in a case like this (heater delete, HaHa)? Thank you.

Blower fan cage/squirrel cage numbers:

3441056 42166 4
General Industries Elyria, Ohio Genaire Fan

Motor:

Canada 12V AAWP

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 479
Looks like the one on Ebay has the fins reversed and/or is mounted reverse from mine, which I believe means it has an opposite rotation motor compared to mine. Might just epoxy the shaft and squirrel cage together and hope for the best.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd take it to an HVAC supply house like Graingers, United refrigeration, etc. it's just a hamster wheel, anything with a blower has one just like it.

Related, and my apologies to the OP, mine runs quiet and smooth at all speeds. When diverting to dash for defrost, there is a rhythmic thump like a rubber mallet being smacked on the dash pad. Flow changes, but thump is too loud to allow to continue. Advice?

Mine was broken as well on my 74 RR non AC box. From what I could find the AC blower motor runs the opposite direction from a non AC motor. I came up with a universal metal wheel that was same dimensions as my old one. If you have a non AC heater box LMK and I can get you the part number for wheel.

The part number I used was a 35604 Four Seasons(Murray is same company). I'm 99% certain it will fit your box as well.
Hope this helps.

Wait a minute! Since when did Mopar go to plastic squirrel cages? I always have seen metal ones, something ain't right here?

Wait a minute! Since when did Mopar go to plastic squirrel cages? I always have seen metal ones, something ain't right here?

My 1970 road runner had a plastic cage when I pulled it apart for the first time last year.

Auto Transport Service
Back