• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan hits Power steering pulley

69clone

Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
just wondering if any of y'all have had this problem and what option I have? I can adjust the fan out but then the fan hits the bottom of the radiator so it's one or the other... tried pushing the power steering pump in but then the pulley doesn't line up perfect. I've spent just about all day pulling this thing apart hoping to fix it but only opens another can of worms.

At this point I feel like ripping the pump off and just running a hose across the gear box lol.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

As a Temporary fix I took the angle grinder to the pulley doesn't rub anymore as far as I can tell.

I'd lop that front lip of the pulley right off. It's just a grabbing point for pulling the pulley off the pump, and saginaw pumps are pretty easy to find should you ever need another.

Think the blades will pull forward when running, giving more clearance.

That motor plate is the problem.

If that doesn't work, maybe try a 7 blade fan, the have less pitch in the blades.

I'm pretty sure that's the wrong water pump pulley too. Should be a single rib.

Yeah I thought I had it squared away... started the car and seen the fan quit spinning got out and radiator fluid everywhere...
motor plates 3/8" water pumps shaved 1/4" and I have a 1/8" spacer in the crank pulley to square everything up. You are correct those are pulleys off my 318 the pulley that came with my 440 was the same size just didn't have the second grove for the power steering.

IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4809.JPG

Think you need to start from scratch on mounting ps pump. Can You lower it down so filler is near and or below motor plate. Find another Ps pump?

You could run PS pump off the crank pulley only if you have a 2 groove crank pulley. My Satellite is that way.
You could get rid of fan and put an electric fan in front of radiator, I've never done it.

Thanks yes, I was very upset. I checked the blade distance a million times even pulling/pushing to make sure it wouldn't contact anything. all I can think of is they twisted enough to catch the lip on the bottom of the radiator and it went down hill from there... Edge of a couple blades are at a 90'... This was one of my more expensive lessons lately...
I agree with you guys I will have to figure out another way to mount the power steering pump. I cannot lower it anymore due to the radiator hose. I could try another pump I have one off my 383 motor its a GM style iirc and I can mount it flush but it has serpentine pulley on it. I will either have to go to an electric fan (only running a small denso 60amp alternator) or remove the motor plate and go back to the other pulley system. Either way I now need a radiator and a fan...

Auto Transport Service
Back