• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Pulley

That is good to know. I wonder why the TRW pump taken off had a 4.75 inch pulley. That does seem small. I get back with the shop andsay its not the correct pump and i want my TRW back on but it needs to be rebuilt first. Where is a good place ot send it? I saw a Hemi pulley that is 6 1/4 inches I wonder if that would work?

Hemi for Federal won't work on TRW because of shaft Dia. It won't work on Big block Federal because the offset of pulley hub is different. Hemi has thick harmonic balancer and different pully depth. The size of pulley is related to speed pump will turn. Larger the PS pulley the slower it turns.

Thank you for letting me know about the offset. I guess I need to start from the beginning with the TRW that was in the car. What a pain. Now I have to go to battle with the shop. Do you know if the 4.75 inch pulley is correct?

Sounds about right. Most of the TRW pullys were small. For Big Block it was the offset to align with crank pulley that mattered. A google search can get you some details.

2nd round.... I found that the bracket is different tfor the TRW and the Federal. The shop didn't realize that. They say the Federal bracket will lower it so it won't rub. Anybody with experience on this?

2nd round.... I found that the bracket is different tfor the TRW and the Federal. The shop didn't realize that. They say the Federal bracket will lower it so it won't rub. Anybody with experience on this?
Yes, I went through this on my 67 440.... Somehow I lost my pump when the car was disassembled ..
What I needed was the LARGE TRW pump, and I am guessing that is what you had.. Can you get it back???
If you don't have the correct brackets that go on the correct pump, NOTHING lines up.....

Not without distorting the bracket. You don't mix brackets. I did not think B bodies came with large TRW pump. Thought that was C and Imperial.

Here is the Federal pump with federal bracket. Going back to the beginning. It looks like you have a Federal pump on your car now with the TRW brackets. So your pump is higher and larger pulley so the belt rubs water pump. If you had the original TRW with small pulley you would clear.
Since in 69 they went to the Federal with Hemi and Big Block, I think if you get the Federal bracket you can mount the federal and clear your water pump pulley.
Here is the Federal pump and bracket:
dsc00169-jpg.jpg

Here is the Federal pump with federal bracket. Going back to the beginning. It looks like you have a Federal pump on your car now with the TRW brackets. So your pump is higher and larger pulley so the belt rubs water pump. If you had the original TRW with small pulley you would clear.
Since in 69 they went to the Federal with Hemi and Big Block, I think if you get the Federal bracket you can mount the federal and clear your water pump pulley.
Here is the Federal pump and bracket:
View attachment 1250266
Hi, that's what I am thinking..... just buy the Federal brackets and things will be ok. I can eventually rebuild the TRW with the smaller pulley down the road. I have been told there is a 6-8 week lead time right now to rebuild them so I don't want to wait that long.

Auto Transport Service
Back