• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FBBO Benefit Auction for @moparedtn!

It's always a balance of what you think and what they want to hear.....

It's always a balance of what you think and what they want to hear.....
Yeah, hard to believe after all these decades, but I'm a novice at interviews. Just never had to do any
over the years...and what you think would be simple sometimes isn't.
Some of these folks have been trained on how to conduct them - "programmed" to an extent.

Ed,

I conducted more than a few interviews over the years before I retired. Human Resources (HR) always had some situational type questions to ask people. Two examples:
  • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a coworker's course of action. What did you do?
  • Your manager tells you to do something that you feel is the wrong course of action. How would you handle this situation?
Ultimately, a company wants to know not only that they are hiring a person with the appropriate knowledge to do the job, but also a person who can get along well with others, be ethical, honest, etc.

An interview is always an artificial environment, in my opinion, but there are a few things I feel are helpful:
  1. This is a more "formal" event. Dress nicely, and use your best manners.
  2. Do not belabor answers. Answer questions fully, but do not drone on. Conversely, do not give one word answers either.
  3. Be yourself. If you try to be something you are not you will typically fail and that will show through.
  4. It is OK to smile, laugh and even joke a little bit. But do it moderately and in good taste.
  5. Let your experience shine through. Not by you telling them you have it, but by examples of what you did.
  6. Be honest if you do not have experience or knowledge in a certain field.
Ed, I wish you MUCH SUCCESS with the interview!

Hawk

Ed,

I conducted more than a few interviews over the years before I retired. Human Resources (HR) always had some situational type questions to ask people. Two examples:
  • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a coworker's course of action. What did you do?
  • Your manager tells you to do something that you feel is the wrong course of action. How would you handle this situation?
Ultimately, a company wants to know not only that they are hiring a person with the appropriate knowledge to do the job, but also a person who can get along well with others, be ethical, honest, etc.

An interview is always an artificial environment, in my opinion, but there are a few things I feel are helpful:
  2. Do not belabor answers. Answer questions fully, but do not drone on. Conversely, do not give one word answers either.
  3. Be yourself. If you try to be something you are not you will typically fail and that will show through.
  4. It is OK to smile, laugh and even joke a little bit. But do it moderately and in good taste.
  5. Let your experience shine through. Not by you telling them you have it, but by examples of what you did.

Hawk
All very sage advice, my friend. Thanks much!
I've been dressing all fancy the last few of these and I think that might be shining through, too...
ours is not a glamorous profession, after all.
I have "monkey suits" of course, but they're judiciously applied. I always was good at dressing to
the point of the customers' comfort, which runs the absolute gamut in my gig.

Oh, to answer your sample questions:
1. Said co-worker has not been found to date - in one piece, anyways. :rolleyes:
2. Seriously, I have had several instances over the years of bosses ordering me to do illegal or
even downright dangerous things - and in the life safety business, that's a problem especially.
Tough call, depends on the situation - heck, I've even been tasked with being one managers'
"conscience" by his district supervisor (can you say "stool pigeon"?).
Oy vey.
You want to do what the boss tells you to do and 99% of the time, I have...but...
Fire sprinkler biz is rife with drama - and I'm the bulldozer of ethics just plowing my
way through. :)

Bottom line is, I'm me. I love interacting with people, strangers, doesn't matter who really.
I have zero character issues and what I do for a living, although very enjoyable for me, is
serious business. Liabilities, peoples' lives....too much at stake otherwise.

THANKS!!!
Here I go...

Ed,

Hawk

I do t know if they would like my answer!
Boss told us if we had issues with each other to punch out go behind fence (off property)
And punch away!
Once we were done help the other up punch back in and go back to work!
I did this once guy we hired was a complete pos lied about alot was trying to get me fired as he wanted my position and my company truck. Finally he got in my face once so we did what the boss said I kicked his ***!
He didn't bother to punch back in he just got on his bike and left !
Sent someone to pick his tools up later!
Dude was a real winner. Boss was happy he left had the fight on the security cameras we watched it at lunch time!
No one messed with me after that!
Sadly now with my back I can't fight anymore!

I do t know if they would like my answer!
Boss told us if we had issues with each other to punch out go behind fence (off proper

And punch away!
Once we were done help the other up punch back in and go back to work!
I did this once guy we hired was a complete pos lied about alot was trying to get me fired as he wanted my position and my company truck. Finally he got in my face once so we did what the boss said I kicked his ***!
He didn't bother to punch back in he just got on his bike and left !
Sent someone to pick his tools up later!
Dude was a real winner. Boss was happy he left had the fight on the security cameras we watched it at lunch time!
No one messed with me after that!
Sadly now with my back I can't fight anymore!
Lord knows there's been plenty of that in my business.
I'm too far down the river for that nonsense - that's more for the younger fellas in the field
In our business you can't have them act like that anyways.
We are in the service business after all.

Wow, things got sort of crazy today.
After months of stone walls, well wishes:
"Gosh Ed, ANY sprinkler company would be lucky to get YOU!"
*gag*
And a whole lot of NADA...
Today included (2) good meetings with owners of sprinkler companies +
a free Cracker Barrel Lunch + an email from yet ANOTHER company wanting
to speak with me.
All of that added up to no firm offers, but it sure got busy in a hurry....
Then...
Right after dinner, I get a call back from the interview fella, who has decided to
run some actual numbers past me!
They're not great, far from the best I've seen - but they ARE numbers. :thumbsup:
Next best thing to an actual offer, by George!

I get good vibes from the dude and I know his company. Told him to send me
the offer in writing and let's figure things out.
I may get out of this mess yet, who knows?

Great news! And as my Grandpa always said, it's easier to get a job when you have one.....

Great news! And as my Grandpa always said, it's easier to get a job when you have one.....
Truer words never spoken, my friend...
It's sort of embarrassing at this point in my life that I'm so awful at interviews, but I've never
had to do them before really - one gig led to another. It's a small world, what I do for a living,
so eventually you become "known" and if you're any good at it, they come after you sooner or
later because of it.
"Headhunters" we'd call them, the recruiters that pestered you occasionally...
I've had plenty of those this time around too, but typically it's for a gig hundreds or thousands
of miles away, usually asking me to do something I'm not qualified to do.
It's flattering but not very productive.

Screenshot_20201002-180354_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back