• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender Tag Option Information

Lamadogg

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
Does the fender trim tag list ALL options for a car? Or, does it simply display the primary/bigger ones found on and ignore ones like J55 (windsheild tint)?

Different plants had different codes sometimes throughout different points in a model year. Gets pretty complex sometimes on what and how it was coded. I believe (and I could be wrong as that's happened a few times) All windshields were tinted and the side glass was optional to be tinted. If it was a standard option it probably isn't on the tag and if it was part of a package, ie. light group, it might not be listed out separate.

Does the fender trim tag list ALL options for a car? Or, does it simply display the primary/bigger ones found on and ignore ones like J55 (windsheild tint)?

First, J55 = undercoating and hood pad, not tinted windshield.

It depends.
Coding varies by year, plant and, sometimes, by time of year.

69 Road Runners were built at three different plants and all three had different guidelines. A St. Louis or LA built car will have more on the tag than a car built at the Lynch Road plant.

There are few sweeping generalizations when it comes to coding but no, not all options are coded on every tag. Typically, what is coded are options that require a bracket or a hole punched in the body (tach, radio, power items requiring routing of wires through metal, consoles) or paint, interior trim, vinyl or convertible tops and stripes but there are variations on these guidelines. Things typically not coded are road wheels and wheel covers, power steering, steering wheels and things like that. Yet, these too have some variations.

It depends.

69 Road Runners were built at three different plants and all three had different guidelines. A St. Louis or LA built car will have more on the tag than a car built at the Lynch Road plant.

There are few sweeping generalizations when it comes to coding but no, not all options are coded on every tag. Typically, what is coded are options that require a bracket or a hole punched in the body (tach, radio, power items requiring routing of wires through metal, consoles) or paint, interior trim, vinyl or convertible tops and stripes but there are variations on these guidelines. Things typically not coded are road wheels and wheel covers, power steering, steering wheels and things like that. Yet, these too have some variations.
Sorry. G15 windsheild tint. Having fender tag recreated after losing original 25-yrs. ago during 1st restoration. Not official as they place some indiscrete characters on the replacement tag to avoid ‘counterfeit’ violations. Anyway, in process of adding options. Company I’m using states not all options on my car get placed on tag.

While G15 Windsheild Tint and V21 Performance Hood Paint are included and appear in fender tag, similar items like W21 Magnum wheels and N42 Chrome Exhaust Tips do not appear.

However, based on your reply above, it makes sense the degree of mechanical attachment complexity or placement on car could largely dictate fender tag eligibility.

Having fender tag recreated after losing original 25-yrs. ago during 1st restoration.

Wishing you nothing but the best.

The hobby is filled with lots of people that wasted money on bad tags made by well meaning and unskilled tag makers. Frankly, they don't know or care about the nuances that make accurate tags. But, they will cash your check or accept PayPal. Said bad tags cast aspersions on owners and the legitimacy of the car and not the bad tag makers.

Not official as they place some indiscrete characters on the replacement tag to avoid ‘counterfeit’ violations.

No such thing as 'counterfeit' violations. The tag is either good or crap. Most remade tags are the latter and not former.

Sometimes no tag is better than a badly remade tag.

I see from another thread you are using MMC. Again, sometimes no tag is better than a bad tag.

69_RM23_E63_D32_K2_305458_BAD_TAG.jpg

Last edited:
Having fender tag recreated after losing original 25-yrs. ago during 1st restoration.

Wishing you nothing but the best.

The hobby is filled with lots of people that wasted money on bad tags made by well meaning and unskilled tag makers. Frankly, they don't know or care about the nuances that make accurate tags. But, they will cash your check or accept PayPal. Said bad tags cast aspersions on owners and the legitimacy of the car and not the bad tag makers.

Not official as they place some indiscrete characters on the replacement tag to avoid ‘counterfeit’ violations.

No such thing as 'counterfeit' violations. The tag is either good or crap. Most remade tags are the latter and not former.

Sometimes no tag is better than a badly remade tag.

I see from another thread you are using MMC. Again, sometimes no tag is better than a bad tag.

View attachment 1356148
Thanks for feedback. Much of what you said applies to anything related to our hobby. Eventually, natural selection weeds out many of the lower quality products and services. After owning my RR for 44-yrs., I’ve been fortunate (and/or lucking) to deal with credible sources. The tag isn’t ‘mission critical’ - just a fun thing to have. And, as you note, it’s easy to simply remove. Thanks.

Much of what you said applies to anything related to our hobby.

A common and difficult to defend position when only the fender tag, broadcast sheet and windows sticker show provenance.

New fenders from AMD do not. A fender tag is not new upholstery subject to quality control.

I wish you well with your restoration.

It depends.

Couldn’t have said it better. Worker friend of mine at plant in IL once told me it’s a hole punching guide when the body gets something altered to it

Sorry. G15 windsheild tint. Having fender tag recreated after losing original 25-yrs. ago during 1st restoration. Not official as they place some indiscrete characters on the replacement tag to avoid ‘counterfeit’ violations. Anyway, in process of adding options. Company I’m using states not all options on my car get placed on tag.

While G15 Windsheild Tint and V21 Performance Hood Paint are included and appear in fender tag, similar items like W21 Magnum wheels and N42 Chrome Exhaust Tips do not appear.

However, based on your reply above, it makes sense the degree of mechanical attachment complexity or placement on car could largely dictate fender tag eligibility.
I’ve seems N41and N42 on vehicles but plant specific

A common and difficult to defend position when only the fender tag, broadcast sheet and windows sticker show provenance.

New fenders from AMD do not. A fender tag is not new upholstery subject to quality control.

I wish you well with your restoration.
Restoration is completed and has been for 12-yrs. (2nd repaint in 2008). As my first car when purchased as a 16-year old - now 60! Luckily, I possess vehicle registration documentation for the last 44-yrs. that references the VIN to provide adequate verification if/when needed. Check out my pics!!

EC64001F-8131-4391-B522-95BB6DF601B4.jpeg

045C3A96-934E-4BAC-BE32-41E95CDB01C8.jpeg

9D4D0AB3-A81D-41CA-A2F0-3547776B1EEC.jpeg

CADB7DCF-BB16-45C6-A596-1B4B78A7F5B9.jpeg

9D42497C-1807-4613-ABA1-8797495299E4.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back