• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

So sorry about Titus Larry. Our Remy is a big dog as well and already has joint issues at 6 years old. We have had several dogs over the years and we know how hard it is to put them down and send them onwards. Our hearts go out to you buddy.

Heartache still here . . . but time helps heal the pain . . . focus on the great memories . . .

Even though I knew his time was coming, it sure did not help the eventual heartache . . .
BIG THANKS to all that reached out to me and provided support - I'm still working on this,
Project Titus, just have not felt "up" to getting these things posted . . . until today . . .

Progress is still moving forward - even though I feel I lost a week due to the loss of my little buddy . . .

GAWD - How I hate working with fiberglass . . . insulation on this part

Got all of the pegboard off of the walls and all of the insulation stripped out of the old shop for dismantling . . .

sm_shop435.jpg

Next part . . . get the roof off of this thing . . . to get ready to move the walls . . .

sm_shop436.jpg

GAWD - I hate fiberglass . . . shingles in this part of the project . . . UGH !

Next. get the shingles off of the roof . . . this was after about an hour of work . . .

sm_shop437.jpg

Then about an hour later . . . I get a bit faster as I figured out what I was doing . . .

sm_shop438.jpg

Good progress on the front roof . . .

sm_shop439.jpg

Front roof is stripped and completed . . .

sm_shop440.jpg

Needed a break . . . had to get the remaining bags of concrete out of the shop as the roof was coming off
So I got them mixed up and poured into the blocks on on the foundation . . . open ones will be for anchor bolts

sm_shop441.jpg

Then also got a delivery of crush-and-run (ABC stone) for the foundation . . .

sm_shop442.jpg

Now all that I need it to get it spread out and compacted . . . OH BOY ! ! !

sm_shop443.jpg

Didn't make the end of the month, but made great progress . . . went a bit overboard on the foundation,
but this can also be used as a shop or Paint-booth - if needed - so it needed to be sound and solid.

Only one way to do that . . . do it right the first time . . .

More later . . .

Did I tell you how much I hate fiberglass . . .

Oh boy . . . now for the back roof . . . I'm just so excited . . . ( not ) . . .
By the way - moss grows on the North side of the tree ( and building roof )
Got some GREAT moss samples if anyone is interested . . .

sm_shop445.jpg

Got about 3/4 of it done before I ran out of steam . . . . tomorrow is another day . . .

sm_shop446.jpg

Just got a few shingles left and the roof vents to get removed . . .
See all the stuff on the metal roof . . . that's all POLLEN . . . it's really thick down here now . . .

sm_shop447.jpg

Got started with spreading the crush-and-run stone in the foundation - got rain coming in tonight and tomorrow
Want it down and in place do help with the compacting . . . but want to do it in layers and need a compactor

sm_shop444.jpg

Gone as far as I want to . . . till it gets wet and compacted . . . then work on the rest in 6" layers . . .

sm_shop448.jpg

Good progress . . . kinda helped to keep my mind occupied, but found my mind wandering as I worked . . .

It's been a rough week - but the hardest days are behind me . . . and he left his paw prints on my heart forever.

Project Titus continues . . .

More later . . .

Progress over the week . . . but today was hectic . . .

Made good progress this week, getting the plywood off the roof - got all the shingles off already.

sm_shop440.jpg

As always - first step, get started . . . put your head down and get to it . . . the first sheet . . .

sm_shop449.jpg

Then the first row . . .

sm_shop450.jpg

And . . . the second row . . . .

sm_shop451.jpg

And with the third row done - the front of the roof is stripped . . . got the panels set aside for re-assembly later.

sm_shop452.jpg

The back - however - was a different story . . . All week there was NO mention of rain this weekend.

Had to stop my dismantling process twice - due to rain - and try to work between the rain breaks . . .

sm_shop453.jpg

But . . . Was able to get the back stripped and stacked with the other panels for later ( and to stay dry-ish)

sm_shop454.jpg

Next step - is to take down all of the joists - they too will be reused in the re-assembly process . . .

Plans - to do a better job making trusses out of the joists so the center support pole will not be necessary
That center post was both used to hang things - and be in the way (most of the time)

Plans are to lave the lean-to standing ( I hope ) - to cover the stuff under it . . .

Will keep tearing into this thing . . . one day atta time . . .

More later . . .

Progress over the week . . . but today was hectic . . .

Made good progress this week, getting the plywood off the roof - got all the shingles off already.

View attachment 1281713

As always - first step, get started . . . put your head down and get to it . . . the first sheet . . .

View attachment 1281714

Then the first row . . .

View attachment 1281715

And . . . the second row . . . .

View attachment 1281717

And with the third row done - the front of the roof is stripped . . . got the panels set aside for re-assembly later.

View attachment 1281718

The back - however - was a different story . . . All week there was NO mention of rain this weekend.

Had to stop my dismantling process twice - due to rain - and try to work between the rain breaks . . .

View attachment 1281719

But . . . Was able to get the back stripped and stacked with the other panels for later ( and to stay dry-ish)

View attachment 1281720

Next step - is to take down all of the joists - they too will be reused in the re-assembly process . . .

Plans - to do a better job making trusses out of the joists so the center support pole will not be necessary
That center post was both used to hang things - and be in the way (most of the time)

Plans are to lave the lean-to standing ( I hope ) - to cover the stuff under it . . .

Will keep tearing into this thing . . . one day atta time . . .

More later . . .
You're a machine Larry! Knowing me I'd take one look at all the work it would take and drive the Moline straight through it, heat the house with the remains and start all over haha. Good for you on saving it. Project Titus, I like that:thumbsup:.

Project Titus . . .

Weekend progress . . . No hits, not runs, no ERRORS . . . ( the most important stat ) . . .

What a weekend . . . cooler temps, rain ( that was not even in the forecast . . . )
But a load of pictures to share the progress with you . . .

So the first step . . . is the beginning of the journey to the end . . . as is with the "truss" removal . . .

sm_shop455.jpg

By Saturday night, I was about wore out, and the last couple had me worried - less places to stand . . .

sm_shop456.jpg

This was ( by far ) my best ( and worst ) shot of the day . . . from about 10 feet out, trying to get in in the box . . .
Worse . . . did not make it in the box
Best . . . Nailed it ( actually stuck in the plywood like you see in the picture )

sm_shop457.jpg

Today after work, with more daylight, and a bit more fresh, tackled the last 4 "trusses" . . . removal . . .
Most of this work had to be done from a ladder ( the back side has the metal roof to walk on )

sm_shop458.jpg

And success . . . got them all down, no major injuries ( one good finger gouge - no pics ) - but it's all down

sm_shop459.jpg

This shop has more room and more light than I remembered . . . LOL . . . it's STILL moving ! ! !

sm_shop460.jpg

All the "trusses" ( actually partial trusses ) stacked up under cover to be out of the weather . . .

sm_shop461.jpg

In the rafters of the shop found some really "nice" wood paneling - anybody interested ? ! ? Let me know . . .

sm_shop462.jpg

So the one recurring thought that has been "lingering" in my mind . . . will the walls actually "move"
So . . . it was time to investigate . . . with a 6x6 and a floor jack in place . . . and a few pumps . . .

sm_shop463.jpg

Houston . . . we have daylight . . . the walls will move . . . ( actually scary - not even bolted down ) . . .

sm_shop464.jpg

What did I learn . . .

- the nails actually pulled out pretty easily, at time, so no wonder tornados tear apart houses . . .
- asphalt shingles are heavy ( and did I mention how I hate fiberglass . . . )

Need to shore up the garage door opening and the people door for the move . . . to hold the wall shape
Need to figure out how to separate the walls . . . and the first wall I can move ( the front wall )
- will actually be the LAST wall that I will need to place in the new location . . . ( figures )

Got rain predicted (like I believe them) for Friday and Saturday (just my luck) . . .
Will see what I can figure out and get done with my time after work . . .

More later . . .

You're a machine Larry! Knowing me I'd take one look at all the work it would take and drive the Moline straight through it, heat the house with the remains and start all over haha. Good for you on saving it. Project Titus, I like that:thumbsup:.

Hey Devin . . . I know what you mean . . .

But throwing away a pretty good building . . . is harder for me to do than pull the darn nails . . .
( besides - go look at the great shot that I had in the process - above ) LOL

Besides . . . this will also be my paint booth . . . SURE can't pass that up now, can I ? ? ?

With the cost of lumber these days . . . that's $20,000 of a free building ! ! !

I haven’t checked your thread in over a week, thought you’d be done! Ha- just kidding! Looks great!

Project Titus - Preparing for "Moving Day" . . . 101 . . .

Getting close to that time, so there are some things to get squared away . . .

In order to get the building set in it's new location - need the anchor bolts in concrete . . .

Checked . . . Miss calculated my concrete needs by 1 bag . . . ARGH . . . figures . . .

sm_shop465.jpg

Got almost everything done . . . most of the concrete and all bolts are almost set

sm_shop466.jpg

So . . . it's getting close . . . however I'm going to pull this thing off . . . still to be determined . . .

sm_shop467.jpg

Shoring up the building . . . this wall has openings, and they need to stay in place . . . adding supports . . .
On the people door - both on the outside of the door . . .

sm_shop468.jpg

And - for safety - on the inside of the door too . . .

sm_shop469.jpg

The garage door was an even bigger concern . . . 8' of opening that could "move" on me . . .

Wondering what the cross boards in the door are for . . . I can be a bit of a Klutz
My luck, without them there, I'd try and run into the shop and trip . . .
Trying to prevent myself from tripping over the boards ! ! !

sm_shop470.jpg

Added these additional "structural" cross braces for added security and strength . . .

sm_shop471.jpg

Got things about ready to go . . . but the weather is threatening rain and thunder showers today . . .

We'll see what can get done . . . and what happens with the weather prediction . . . ( not too sure )
( weather for yesterday was clear - no indication of rain - but it rained on me as I was leveling out the ABS stone

Be a weatherman - you can be "correct" less than 50% of the time . . . and you still have a job ! ! !

More later . . .

When looking at a thread it is funny how idle curiousity turns into interest that turns into investment in the lives of people you don't really know. I went back through to the beginning of this shop rebuild and am caught up now and I have to tell you that you have described everything you are doing so well feel like I am somehow personally involved and have some stake in the situation. So much so that I am almost fatigued after reading an update knowing the effort that you are making mostly by yourself here. I hate to admit it but I was so drawn in that when you had to deal with losing your companion of 14 years I got a little more that a bit emotional. You are not only doing a great job building your new shop but showing me you have a great spirit to soldier on because that is what it will take. I will be eagerly watching your progress.

Project Titus - The move has begun . . .

Just a quick little teaser . . . the move has begun . . .

Interestingly . . . The first wall that I have access to on the "old shop" is the LAST wall
that will need to be installed in the new location . . . it will need to be moved and stored . . .

The next question . . . Uh, where ? ! ? !

But first . . . the walls need to be separated - so the front wall can be moved . . .

sm_shop472.jpg

Got the wall separated . . . now . . . it's ready for moving . . . wish me luck . . .

sm_shop473.jpg

Well . . . proof is in the picture . . . the front wall has been moved . . .

sm_shop474.jpg

And . . . found a pretty good place to store it ( I think ) . . . the bracing worked pretty well too ! !

sm_shop475.jpg

Got a lot of things left to do . . . and 3 more walls that will need to be moved too . . .

More later . . .

When looking at a thread it is funny how idle curiousity turns into interest that turns into investment in the lives of people you don't really know. I went back through to the beginning of this shop rebuild and am caught up now and I have to tell you that you have described everything you are doing so well feel like I am somehow personally involved and have some stake in the situation. So much so that I am almost fatigued after reading an update knowing the effort that you are making mostly by yourself here. I hate to admit it but I was so drawn in that when you had to deal with losing your companion of 14 years I got a little more that a bit emotional. You are not only doing a great job building your new shop but showing me you have a great spirit to soldier on because that is what it will take. I will be eagerly watching your progress.

Thanks for the inspiring post . . . this is just one of my goals, this building, and making a shop for me to be able to use . . . someday.
Documenting it is "fun", but it's also challenging as you have to "remember" to take pictures along the way - wonder if I should have done this as a YouTube channel . . .

Thanks for your kind words, your support, and keep watching as the move has started . . .

Project Titus - For the record:

The front wall of the shop, and the storing of the wall was ALL accomplished by myself . . . did not have any help in the process . . .

How ? ! ? !

More later . . .

Project Titus - Better progress than expected . . .

The problem with this move is the walls that I need to get to, I can't, and that makes it difficult . . .
So I try and figure out "how" and "what's next" as I move along . . .

First step - the mound of ABC stone was in the way ( it really needs to be compacted ) one step atta time . . .
Got it all moved around and left a "ramp" to allow access to the foundation area for the walls to be set in place

sm_shop476.jpg

Got the last of the cinder block walls filled with concrete, and had a little left over . . . so left a memento for later
If anyone ever tears down this building, they'll find this in the foundation crush and run under the slab . . .

For those of you that might not know from some of my other threads . . .

BSH is a monogram that I use on my projects - Brick Sh*t House - cause that's how I build things . . .
And of course . . . had to add the year . . .

sm_shop477.jpg

Knew that the walls were probably not going to fit under this tree - so some trimming was necessary . . .

sm_shop478.jpg

And . . . the left side wall has been moved . . . that was quite the chore ( had a friend help with that one )

sm_shop479.jpg

And . . . The left wall has been set in place on the new foundation . . . and the verdict is . . .
Every bolt hole lined up perfectly ( amazing ) and the wall is bolted in place . . . whew . . . what a chore

What you see here is "temporary" supports - there is one around back too - to hold the wall in place
( the bolts are NOT enough to keep and hold this wall in place - not by a long shot . . . )

sm_shop480.jpg

What was done for more "permanent" bracing - was to utilize the other anchor bolts to help hold the wall in place
And that worked like a champ - once the back wall gets in place, things will stabilize a a whole better . . .

sm_shop481.jpg

Next part of the project to tackle . . . was the back wall . . . and in the process of separating the wall
Found this in the lean-to on the back of the shop - 6' black snake skin . . . he's a big 'un ! ! !

sm_shop482.jpg

The rear wall was a bit more of a challenge . . . for several reasons . . .
- The lean-to on the back was tied into the back of the shop with joist hangers - so I had to something about that
- the 6 x 6 on the left was added - and the 4 x 4 in the middle was added ( had to think of these things )
- my biggest concern . . . the right wall - with nothing left to hold it in place - my concern was stabilizing it
- added the 6 x 6 on the inside - with the brace to the 2 x 4 studs
- added multiple 2 x 6 braces on the back side to hold it the other direction
- plus added a ratchet strap from a hook in the wall - to a tree to help hold it in place

Think that I've got it secured pretty well . . . until it can get moved to it's new location . . . ( hopefully soon )

sm_shop483.jpg

Here's the back wall . . . making it's way down to the new location . . .
For the record . . . moving of this was was also done solo - believe it or not . . . just me, myself, and I did it . . .

sm_shop484.jpg

All in all, it was a very eventful weekend, with LOTS of progress - and I'm wore slam out . . .

Hope to be able to get ( at least ) the back wall in place this week, but really want it and the other side wall done.
Still got to get some block work done for the front wall - left it out to ease access into the foundation

Had a pretty good rain storm blow through here this afternoon - and that put a damper on progress . . .
Plus - had to go back and fix many of the tar paper covers - an attempt to keep "some" rain off the wall . . .

More later . . .

Project Titus . . . Inquiring minds - want to know . . . You sure you're ready for this ? ? ?

I assume . . . everyone is "curious" as to how the walls got moved . . . so . . . here's picture proof . . .
Starting with the front wall . . . it was basically moved to a storage location to get to the other walls . . .

Believe it or not . . . this is how it was done . . . With the help of my redneck wrecker . . .

sm_shop485.jpg

Trying to get that wall maneuvered around that tree - and the junk . . . by myself . . . took a bit of time

Had to try and "guess" the balance point of a wall with a people door and another 8 foot garage door
From the pic - you can see my first attempt was low on the far side and high on the near side . . .
Literally move the hook on the cherry picker over 2 chain links . . . and it balanced . . .
Could not believe that I guessed the balance point on that will within 2 chain links ! ! ! Got lucky ! ! !

sm_shop486.jpg

Was able to use a ratchet strap to move and hold the wall, where it was needed, to get by the tree . . .

sm_shop487.jpg

Slowly . . . worked my way around all the obstacles . . . to get it moved out . . .

sm_shop488.jpg

Had a stack of all the roofing plywood on the side . . . perfect place to locate the wall (for the time being)

sm_shop489.jpg

Yeah . . . believe it or not . . . that's HOW it was done . . .

More later . . .

Project Titus . . . Pretty successful day after work . . .

Can't complain . . . the pictures speak for themselves . . .

The old shop location is now bare . . .

sm_shop490.jpg

And the new shop location is sporting (3) new walls . . .

sm_shop491.jpg

This has added a lot of strength to the structure . . . that makes me feel much better . . .

Next step . . . add the blocks for the front wall and get it in place . . . and work on roof trusses . . .

Got a load of securing the shop to do before I lose daylight . . .

More later . . .

Thank you for your time and patience to post great pictures and explain what and how as you have progressed through this major project. Working solo really adds meaning to the old saying that necessity is the mother of invention.
This has been a great thread to read and follow along.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :luvplace: :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Auto Transport Service
Back