• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding replacement vacuum advance canister

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good source to obtain a stock replacement vacuum advance canister? It's for a big block points unit. In order to complete mine, a friend gave me his reman distributor so I could use his advance unit. Works great, but now I'm trying to find a new one for him before I return it. The units I'm seeing are either non adjustable or the arm is shaped completely different. I understand the units are different between big/small block. I ordered one through Napa and Summit. Both were wrong.

There are two different arms on the B/RB advances one is curved in the other straighter. Biggest thing is getting one that has the proper amount of advance. Adjustable will not do that it just adjusts when the arm will activate under the HG. The straight ones are getting hard to find. Been getting them rebuilt now. Not exactly cheap either. Have a distributor number? I can look it up and give you what it should be. Now good luck if it is a numbers car the ones say Tony's parts have do not have numbers on the mounting flange. NOS is a crap shoot might look fine but the rubber is 50 years old and probably will fail also.

s-l400.jpg
CV3030.jpg
You can see the 8.5 on the curved arm that is distributor degrees so it is 17 at the crank FYI

Adjusting Start & Stop Vacuum
For most late 60s and newer Chrysler built distributors, if the canister has a hex shaped end, the preload can be adjusted by turning an internal screw. This is done by inserting a 3/32" hex key (Allen wrench) into the nipple. Counterclockwise = higher vacuum

Thanks Hops, the part # is 2875-162-20-8

YES to be sure. So many of these have been rebuilt and the advance plates changed out. Take the cap and rotor off and take the pick of the inside.

YES to be sure. So many of these have been rebuilt and the advance plates changed out. Take the cap and rotor off and take the pick of the inside.
Hope this is ok

20200328_115848.jpg

Yes a straight arm you need. Let me see what I have to spare.

Have a few.
DSC06859 (1).JPG

Used god on left $45 rebuilt new diaphragm on the right $90 shipped prices.

Auto Transport Service
Back