• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finishing 66 Dodge Charger started for me by my father I am from MN.

Welcome from Wisconsin! Looks like you have a good start on your project. By the way, The only silly questions are the ones you should have asked and didn't. We have all made tons of mistakes wrenching on our old iron but that is how you learn. Good luck and don't worry about the end being too far off. Just pick small battles to deal with and it will all come together just fine.

I see EL lights!!

Appears to be 71K on the odometer.
Just need to get the tach around 650 RPM, temp off C and the Oil pressure up towards H.
Easy

Correction Tach around 5,000...

good luck with your dad's ol' project 66 Charger

welcome to FBBO

Welcome Charger Girl. Love it that you are taking on the project. I wish you the strength and courage to face what you have in front of you. :). Best to you B.

Thank you for the add. Let me just start by saying I am learning... so be kind
Backstory my father began building this 66 charger for me for when I turned 16. He passed when I was 8. The Body is painted I’d say 93 percent all of parts are with car. My dad was a start from ground up car guy. I just recently found somebody to help me finish and complete it. I was never old enough to be taught completely I only remember knowing names of tools my dad asked for and holding that pulley light for him to see. I thought the motor was a 383 however after digging deeper it is a 318 poly. With aftermarket additions, weiand intake, Holley carb, etc. I find myself researching like crazy trying piece together why he made the choices he did. I have yet to fully form my conclusion. I joined this group to pick experienced minds and learn as much as I possibly can throughout this process. So be patient and tolerant if I have seemingly silly questions. I’m learning I look forward to learning from all of you!
Please have fun with the build pick brains and welcome.

Welcome aboard Sir, from the middle of the mitten! So sorry for the loss of your father. I have a 66 in the cue of vehicles waiting to be redone. I think there are some extra parts so if you come up short, check with me.
Awesome thanks definitely will.

Welcome from NY Chargegirl.
Post your questions and I'm sure you will get some help.
I've owned mine for over 30 years but the engine stuff many here can help with.
I think you had a typo in your introduction, how old were you when you lost your Dad?
I was 8 years old.

Poly 318 is a good, reliable, torquey motor that can get "decent" gas mileage, although it can be somewhat difficult and/or expensive to find parts for especially performance parts, however- lots of internal parts are the same as the later 318 "LA" series engines.

As you'll find, 66/67 Chargers are nice, comfortable cars but can be challenging and expensive to restore, depending on what is needed.

Some parts interchange from 66/67 Coronets and the Plymouth counterparts although many are 66/67 Charger specific.

The most costly things are the headlight system and motors, and the electroluminescent dash lights.

If those two things work, you're way ahead.

I read that about the 318 LA. Thanks for the parts tips. I’m thinking I have majority of everything. My dad used to have 2 junkers for parts so I have extra of some things. My headlights work awesome open and close however I’m hoping they work just as well once they are on the car with the relay switch dash works except the fuel portion bulb is out. And tail lights light up and work. Just have some body work have to do. It sat and nice made nest so drivers side floor board rusted through so that isn’t too bad considering the damage they could have done. Didn’t touch wiring that is all new and intact. I have carpet I will however have to get seats re upholstered one rip in driver seat backrest but otherwise intact. Not too bad considering it has been sitting so long.

Your's is an "A" engine which has a semi hemispherical chamber, the LA or "Light" A was the newer version which had wedge combustion chambers. 66 was the last year for the "POLY"

The floor board is one of the parts that's the same as a Coronet or Satellite/Belvedere, if the hole is large enough to need a replacement panel.

Welcome! What part of Minnesota are you from? I'm in south central MN, and also have a '66 Charger.
If you're on Facebook there are 3 or 4 66/67 Charger groups.

The floor board is one of the parts that's the same as a Coronet or Satellite/Belvedere, if the hole is large enough to need a replacement panel.
I also found floor boards on eBay.

Welcome! What part of Minnesota are you from? I'm in south central MN, and also have a '66 Charger.
If you're on Facebook there are 3 or 4 66/67 Charger groups.
I am in the twin cities area. There are ? I had no idea... I will have to take a look thank you!!!

I read that about the 318 LA. Thanks for the parts tips. I’m thinking I have majority of everything. My dad used to have 2 junkers for parts so I have extra of some things. My headlights work awesome open and close however I’m hoping they work just as well once they are on the car with the relay switch dash works except the fuel portion bulb is out. And tail lights light up and work. Just have some body work have to do. It sat and nice made nest so drivers side floor board rusted through so that isn’t too bad considering the damage they could have done. Didn’t touch wiring that is all new and intact. I have carpet I will however have to get seats re upholstered one rip in driver seat backrest but otherwise intact. Not too bad considering it has been sitting so long.
The electric in these old cars is by far the easy part lost are here to help enjoy the building of the car because driving it just gets better.

Auto Transport Service
Back