• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire Truck Friday

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
I wondered about starting a Fire Truck Friday thread. I served on my local VFD for 20 years. We used to host an annual Fire Truck Muster (show) and had quite a varying amount of apparatus attend over the years. This was the pumper that was at our hall when I joined in 1978. It is a 1962 GMC, with 348 "W" engine, and straight 5-speed. The pumper body and apparatus was supplied by Thibault, from Quebec province. Thibault, a French name, is pronounced, Tee-bo. A matching 1964 GMC 1000 gallon tanker was also at our rural hall. I think it had a 409 in it, because, even with a full load of water, it could outrun the lighter pumper. It was also built by Thibault. The pumper was restored after it left active service, and is used as a display unit for fire prevention week, etc. by the Township of Central Elgin.

GEDC0690.JPG

GEDC0740.JPG

Last edited:
Early '50's Bickle-Seagrave Sedan Pumper. Bickle was a Canadian affiliate of Seagrave. Bickle-Seagraves were assembled in Woodstock, Ontario, and were quite often powered by a Pierce-Arrow derived V-12.

GEDC0685.JPG

GEDC0689.JPG

My son is a Captain with Mississauga fire Services, and said that they have one of these as a parade truck. The original V-12 has been replaced with a Chrysler 413.

Yeah for Firetruck Friday!
Many years ago I met a fellow and his Firetruck at the Lum & Abner Show in Mena Arkansas.
This is what he started with, a true field find!

IMG_5918.jpeg

IMG_5917.jpeg

IMG_5916.jpeg

Here’s a truly small hint as to what he turned it into. The Hillbilly wheel chock is a perfect for keeping the superb Chrome W/Red Spinners rims and the massive black wall tire in place.
IMG_5907.jpeg

Last edited:
My question is, 'Who DOESN'T want a fire truck? And a cop car. Totally irrational, but I've always wanted one of each. It's probably the sirens.

That Bickle-Seagrave is sweet!

Now for the rest of the story……

IMG_5912.jpeg

IMG_5914.jpeg

IMG_5911.jpeg

I’m unsure of the engine details but I believe the original was changed out and an automatic transmission was added for drive ability.

IMG_5910.jpeg

IMG_5909.jpeg

He sure got a huge kick out of all the youngsters who gleefully boarded the back bed.

IMG_5908.jpeg

My wife and I were able to help him out with another copper hand pump fire extinguisher and two rolls of firehose with brass connectors. The truck was for sale back then!

Wish I had a twenty on me this day at the hardware store.

Rent Me.jpg

Early '50's Bickle-Seagrave Sedan Pumper. Bickle was a Canadian affiliate of Seagrave. Bickle-Seagraves were assembled in Woodstock, Ontario, and were quite often powered by a Pierce-Arrow derived V-12.

View attachment 1628504

View attachment 1628505
My son is a Captain with Mississauga fire Services, and said that they have one of these as a parade truck. The original V-12 has been replaced with a Chrysler 413.
I have to correct my own post. I now notice that this truck is from Detroit. So it would be a Seagrave, not a Canadian Bickle-Seagrave. Sorry.

Last edited:
A suburb near me found and restored their first fire truck. A Stoughton. Stoughton actually still exists, though they don't build firetrucks anymore, they build semi trailers.
The same town has this older Mack Firetruck. I'm not sure if it is still used as a reserve unit or just as a relic. I've seen it at a car show in that town where they give people rides in it.

Stoughton.JPG

Mack FT.JPG

I'm an engineer for a truck manufacturer setting up custom ordered configurations that customers order. I work on a lot of orders for fire truck builders like Pierce, Ferrara, Boise Mobile Equipment, Spencer, Toyne, Four Guys, Fort Garry and E-One. In fact I'm currently setting something up for a E-One order. I was surprised to find out just how many fire truck companies there are out there. There must be at least 20. Here are a couple trucks built up on our chassis, and maybe even ones I worked on setting up the chassis.

Pierce FT.JPG

general_1495_DFC.jpg

Here is one that someone brought out to some local shows last year. It's built from a 1939 Federal brand truck. Svenghoolie fans will like that it is a Berwyn firetruck.

7-21-23 (53).JPG

7-21-23 (29).JPG

A quick way to tell a 348 from a 409, the 348 has the dipstick on the driver side and the 409 has the dipstick on the passenger side. Beautiful trucks. Bobby

How about a Fire SUV?
IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0142.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

Where’s the weenies when you’re hungry and need them.

Ford Exploder?
I think so.
We where just about to our exit, in the South Suburbs of Chicago, after a hard day at work and frankly just wanted to get by this mess before it got worse. Praying to the Firemen, be safe and don’t close the road down.

There was a hook and ladder in Bondhead Dave. Not sure if its still there as I moved 6 years ago.
No pic's.

Auto Transport Service
Back