• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firecore distributor ( not RTR )

Nacho-RT74

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
guys, I'd like to know the inners of a Firecore distributor. I have known they run over bearings instead the stock brash bushing, which is nice, BUT I'd really like to know how is the pick up assembly mounting plate, which is the bigger deal on the stock/MP piece because all the play the get. I know they use the stock pickup as replacement, but how they "work" the vacuum advancing plate system ?. If they are the same than stock, then I wouldn't care about them. The mech advancing system on the MP is nice ( built by Mallory, can't tell about the firecore ) and the bushing or bearing... well is nice but is not a headache. I have a stock dist housing I can modify for a bearing system searching for the propper bearing

These are a very robust distributor, sold under the Summit brand :
Summit Racing SUM-850421 Big Block
Summit Racing SUM-850028 Big Block RB
Use with these coils for exceptional performance or any canister coil not requiring a ballast resister:
Summit Racing SUM-850500
MSD Ignition 8207

PerTronix 40011 - PerTronix Flame-Thrower Ignition Coils
MSD Ignition 8202 - MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coils
The distributor is manufactured by Firecore as is the coil. Package contains extra springs ect. for setting advance curve. Advance canister is totally adjustable on this model. They are a simple yet rugged unit that's easy to work on (alter) and unbelievably simple to wire in. I highly recommend the RTR over anything else.

The OP is asking about the "not RTR" distributor. The non-RTR does NOT have vacuum advance.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bushings in a distributor. Personally I prefer a bushing to a bearing in many applications because bushings have virtually ZERO sideplay whereas a bearing of any sort does need some sideplay. An oilite bushing needs very little lube - generally supplied by occasionally oiling a felt wick. A bearing needs lubrication or it fuses itself to the shaft. In the distributor the chances are slim but there never-the-less.

OK, LET'S SEE.

I want to keep somehow the stock setup distributor, because has being told the pickup coil is the same than stock, so in case of fail can found relativelly easy and cheap. No need to get straight from manufacturer or authorized supplier for a spare/replacement part, but any replacement shop can get it stocked from the shelf.

the "weakness" on the stock dist ( and MP since works the same ) is the play the vacuum plate assembly has which is able even to bite the reluctor. So I'd like to know how this system works on the firecore dist because if is just like the stock system, then doesn't worth the change from the MP unit I already have.

I'm fine with the brass bushing and even the mech advancing system provided by the MP/Mallory setup. Maybe the firecore mech adv system is better ? dunno, have no idea either how it is, but is not the weakness on stock distributor system.

Aside that, I want to keep the female kind dist cap...

That's what I want to know.

Hmmm, I think what's throwing me off is mine - which has no vac adv.. Thanks for posting that.

I'm not sure if this helps you, since it's not taken apart.. but it's the firecore distributor you're wondering about
20180315_142413.jpg
20180315_142437.jpg

well, from the distance I can't tell any extraordinary stuff and just guess the hole provissions and pivots are made a bit more tight fit to save sideplays ? hard to tell

I have 2 of them, rebuilt one long story here are some pics of the guts if this helps or not

W8uCwes.jpg

owc7sUv.jpg

3yuRdja.jpg

yes, definitelly pretty much the same kind of piece than the MP/Mallory one that I already have. REALLY APPRECIATE these pics. Maybe the plate for the pick up assembly could fit tighter, or maybe not...

Nice look the wires coming out from underneath the dist assembly, and well... bearing instead bushing. I'll keep in peace with the one I have at this moment for loooong time.

what? it is bushing! not bearing!!!

maybe easier to service it! neat design thought!

MORE reasons to keep the one I have for LONGER time LOL

lol yeah I kept thinking where is this bearing thing coming from that's why I looked for more pics I had hope it helps.

yes, I was told it was bearing!!! maybe the RTR is ?, dunno! But I'm not into the RTR deal. The RTR is a nice upgrade for those originally points ones helping on the stock look on engine bay without any module around, but I'm happy with my module on engine bay, being 74, is the way it came out.

The fire core distributor is bolt in and go it has mech adjustments inside but loosening the two phillip screws some then adjusting the counter weights all without taking it out of the motor. for me this is the best distributor I have ever used. is it RTR absolutely it is the only thing I had to do was cut of and re spice a new connector to use with my summit 6al box. had I used the mopar orange box for example it would plug right in.

The MP/Mallory is pretty much the same mech adjusting setup than this Firecore. Is the one I already have. The diff with this, is the MP/Mallory setup is built in on same stock housing and bushing, and this firecore got a new and neat housing design, but working the same than the stock

RTRs are dist with ign control built in, no exterior ignition boxes.

this is the interior of the MP/Mallory built. And replacement pickup coils doesn't even need to be cut, since the hosuing is the same stock one

Distributor_NEW.jpg

The ONLY advantage I can see on the firecore is how the bushing can be serviced. as I stated... REALLY NEAT

Auto Transport Service
Back