• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firewall ideas..

chad

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
Hey fellas I am building a 64 fury that has seen way better days.. firewall was completely rotten and bashed in. Just thinking about doing a flat/smooth firewall..has anyone done it... then on the other hand I was thinking of trying to find an original one from a parts car.. I am pretty up in the air of which way to go. Parts for these b bodys up here in Canada are few and far between .
20200329_140238.jpg

Install the flat one and move it back two inches. That's my vote

Are you reusing the heater box? You will need a pretty close to stock fire wall to mount it.
Mike

Are you reusing the heater box? You will need a pretty close to stock fire wall to mount it.
Mike
No not reusing the heater box at all.. will be more of a street strip and nice weather car..

I've flushed out the firewall / engine bay on my '74 Roadrunner 20yrs ago, it really cleaned it up. I put all the electronics under the dash (no heater) so there was nothing on the firewall. Now I'm looking at move to a stock firewall to put the original air back in the car as i want the car to be more comfortable from early spring to late fall. My '65 I left the original firewall, i think its a more timeless look. It boils down to personal preference, you cant go wrong either way.

Before you cut anymore out of your car, get it levelled and squared. Then get some temporary bracing inside so you don’t end up with a twisted mess. Whatever you decide to do with the firewall make sure you can have heater/defrost unit in it. Nearly useless without it and probably need it to pass inspection. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Get a stock firewall and go that route. When you start custom fab it never ends what it affects. Even if you have the skills,time,money to finish it you still have to put insurance on it. Check into that before you start modifications.

Chad An idea that I did on a 55 Belair . I wanted to move the engine back and put in an LS6 and a auto, I needed the extra room for distributor, intake cover and the rack and pinion. I took a new wheelbarrow bucket and inverted it so the concave was further back into the cab. You can get different width/depth buckets new for little money and get the width to completely allow you room behind the engine..clearance for lines, electrical as well as air circulation is better for cooling. It really came out great and didn't interfere with mounting dash since the front lip of bucket slopes back/down dramatically and since you are making a racer, the heat/cooling system is NA. I made a cardboard template for the outer parameters of the bucket and just trimmed it down to the dimensions I needed for room, then cut bucket to fit. I assume you will be working in an open engine bay with all removed so it was pretty straight forward. I have done a lot of fabricating metal so doing this was fairly simple to me and the welding was simple, just take your time to move and do small portions to prevent warpage after it is tacked in place. The rigidity of the preformed bucket will also strengthen your firewall area after you are done. Just a thought......

Before you cut anymore out of your car, get it levelled and squared. Then get some temporary bracing inside so you don’t end up with a twisted mess. Whatever you decide to do with the firewall make sure you can have heater/defrost unit in it. Nearly useless without it and probably need it to pass inspection. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Get a stock firewall and go that route. When you start custom fab it never ends what it affects. Even if you have the skills,time,money to finish it you still have to put insurance on it. Check into that before you start modifications.

The car will be leveled and squared up for sure !

Auto Transport Service
Back