• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firm Feel Rear Sway Bar Install

BigFlo

Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
I bought a Firm Feel rear sway bar for my 65 Belvedere. I ran into a problem trying to install the mounting bracket to the frame. For anyone familiar with this, the bracket is supposed to mount at a certain location on the frame rail. My frame rails are clean - no rust or undercoat. The frame rail is 1/8” wider than the bracket, at the recommended mounting point, so it will not sit flush to the rail. I need to move the bracket back 2” in order for it to fit the frame rail as the rail becomes narrower (by design).
Has anyone run across this and we’re you able to resolve the problem?

I have the FF rear sway bar that mounts high on the frame. If you have this version, you put it all together on the car and then set the car on the suspension and then transfer bracket holes on the frame. I love mine!

I have the FF rear sway bar that mounts high on the frame. If you have this version, you put it all together on the car and then set the car on the suspension and then transfer bracket holes on the frame. I love mine!
chtampa - could ya send a photo of your bar on your ride? Curious as to its placement thinking of installing one on my '63.

Yes that is the one. I wanted to see if I could locate the brackets anywhere near the recommended mounting point before I buggered up the bar trying to dry-fit everything. The brackets are supposed to be approx 4.25” from the front bump stop mounting hole. The closest I can get the bracket to mount flush to the rail is about 6.25” from the hole. I’ve asked Firm Feel but looking for any user advice

Yes that is the one. I wanted to see if I could locate the brackets anywhere near the recommended mounting point before I buggered up the bar trying to dry-fit everything. The brackets are supposed to be approx 4.25” from the front bump stop mounting hole. The closest I can get the bracket to mount flush to the rail is about 6.25” from the hole. I’ve asked Firm Feel but looking for any user advice
Mine isn't at the measured place either. There is no flexibility either. FYI, I drilled small holes and then used an alignment punch to fold in the metal. I then used the self-tapping bolts and the rolled in metal from the punch gave more metal for threads. No pictures at the moment, my Scout II is on the lift right now.

ps, Get creative with the brake line.

I installed the Firm Feel bar on my 68 Charger back in 2015. Don't recall the measurements but here are a couple pics of my install. Works great! Hope it helps.

100_9115.JPG 100_9116.JPG 100_9117.JPG

Mine isn't at the measured place either. There is no flexibility either. FYI, I drilled small holes and then used an alignment punch to fold in the metal. I then used the self-tapping bolts and the rolled in metal from the punch gave more metal for threads. No pictures at the moment, my Scout II is on the lift right now.

ps, Get creative with the brake line.

This is the same design as the Taxi and Police Car sway bar for 69.

The center punch is mentioned in the directions - good idea and sounds like it worked. Looks like I need to test fit and see how it looks. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back