• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time changing rear axle drive shaft.

Jonas Nordstrom

Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
Im going to put in this new straight shaft as my current one on the drivers side is bent and wobbles. (8 3/4 axle, 489 housing. )

It is used but has a nice Timken bearing on it. Planning to clean it thoroughly and grease it up.
Im also planning to keep the inner seal as I have no leaks.

Is this a straight forward swap or do I have to adjust the passenger axle shaft after the swap?

IMG_20210613_182210.jpg

Last edited:
I would pull both and clean and repack the bearing. Then you can check the end play and adjust if necessary. Personally I would change out both inner seals but you don't have to. They may last ten more years. How does your luck run?
Mike

YES. The end play adjuster on the passenger side will need to be set. There are differences in axle shaft lengths due to production tolerances. It's not hard to do.
BUT, how did the original axle shaft get bent? Are you sure the whole housing is not tweaked??

Thanks.
Ok, will pull both then and clean up.
Have to read up on setting end play.

The housing is fine as the actual shaft rod is straight, the bent part is the surface on where the rim mounts.
Looks like the previous owner hit a curb real hard or used a big hammer changing wheel bolts?

Thanks.
Ok, will pull both then and clean up.
Have to read up on setting end play.

The housing is fine as the actual shaft rod is straight, the bent part is the surface on where the rim mounts.
Looks like the previous owner hit a curb real hard or used a big hammer changing wheel bolts?
Well that sucks, but yes like allready posted get a pair of inside seals for the axles, grease gun and needle tip , foam retainer gaskets.
A dial indicator gauge and magnet mount are really nice to measure end play.

Auto Transport Service
Back