• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting/adapter

Eric F

Local time
10:11 PM
Reaction score
im doing a manual to power steering conversion. The steering box I have is a 73 and later B body. I’m missing the fitting /adapter for the pressure hose to connect to the box. I’ve included a picture of my friends 69 R/T for reference. Note it is not pipe thread.
580C4C65-77FF-4C00-8362-2164C3F4E60D.jpeg

Looks like the critter. Did you figure out what you have on the pump Eric?

Yep that’s the fitting I need. My pump is a Saginaw I know that . As for which thread size at the pump no. I haven’t had a chance yet.

I believe Saginaw pumps were used for you car. Federal was earlier. If so, a pressure line may be a slam dunk. Try getting one for your car as a starting point and go from there. On the return line thats easy. Just make sure its p/s return hose or oil cooler hose. I think the p/s and efi clamps you see daily will fit and work much better than the usual ones as they don't bite the hose. 6500650 and 6500651 for 5/16 and 3/8" respectively if my memory is right for oe part numbers. I got hooked on those when I first saw them in the late 90's when I worked parts at the dealers. Have them in my clamp collection.

Eric, if you don't know already, you'll soon find out, that the shaft out of the column is longer with a manual box than a power one. I vaguely remember kerndog, Greg, mentioning something about the shaft on his 70 being two piece. An inner shaft in an outer sleeve. It was held together by injected nylon pins kind of like what GM did on u-joints. His moved but it was no big deal. Might be worth checking into. Another way to remedy this would be to shorten what you have, after you determine the length difference needed, press out the steel pin at the end that the shoes line up on, drill a hole in the shortened shaft after you figure out where the pin needs to be by measuring where it was on the existing before the cut then press the pin in. Beats trying to find a new shaft.

For the coupler see if one can be had here. He is mostly a-body but that is the same for your needs. Buys, sells resto parts and oe stuff. In B-field. 661-829-5157

Did you score a coupler yet? How is the project going?

A buddy of mine with trade me his power steering coupler housing for my manual steering coupler.
I had to get a 2 groove pulley. My 3 groove was wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back