• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Years of "Chrysler TorqueFlite A-904 & A-727 Transmissions: How to Rebuild".

Voetom

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score

On this ~ five-year anniversary of the release of CarTech’s Chrysler TorqueFlite A-904 & A-727 Transmissions: How to Rebuild, I want to thank all of you who bought it, read it, commented on it, and are using it. It took a while to write and photograph images for it but it has proven to be a good manual for those new to tearing transmissions apart or for those needing images that show a bit more detail than shop manuals do. The cool thing is that the profits help me fund various charitable activities.

So, again, thank you all for the support over these first five years and I want to give a special thanks to Wes at CarTech. He made it happen.
Tom Hand

AE46D73C-5F50-409B-B7B6-0EC4BE4F49B4_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
I have it and it’s been a valuable resource. Thanks for writing it!

I was actually looking at buying this yesterday.. i have done 727's before but it's been 20+ years.. rather have a guide :) Was curious.. does it have any performance upgrade information?

I also have the book. Thank you for all the hard work to get us this info.

Good stuff Tom, thanks for all your contributions!

I have it also, thank you..............Just in case, lol.
:thumbsup:

@Voetom Thank you Mr. Hand! In 2021, I rebuilt a 727 for the first time. I could not have done it without your book! Yep, I have factory service manuals and parts books, but your book covered the step by step process tremendously well!
Here's a shot of my bare 727 case - I had to build up courage for sure...and yes my 727 runs Very well!
727 bare case.JPG

Thanks Tom!

I bought one, though i have not rebuilt a transmission with it yet, i know it will be a great resource when i do.
The pictures and descriptions are excellent.

Hoover and all, thanks for taking the time to buy and read through it. I hope it will help when you decide to tear into one!

So... i was just bout to buy the book and have a couple of questions.. My trans is a '62 which i believe has a rear pump.. Does the book cover that also or is it pretty straight forward anyway? Was also wondering (if i remember correctly) The older 727's used a different pump/torque convertor setup, if i want to use a aftermarket convertor can i just find a newer pump and swap it in without any mods needed? thanks... Can't wait to see the book.. Last time i built a trans was 20+ years ago and i only had an exploded view to go by, this should make things easier.
P.S. it's weird how in my 20's i was fearless building anything now all i see are dollar signs and headaches..

P.P.S. my trans has not turned once in 45 years... does trans fluid go gummy like gas or other fluids.. just curious if i am gonna be dealing with stuck valve body parts and such..

I do discuss some of the differences. In fact, one of the cars I featured was a 62 that uses the later pump and clutch retainers and input shaft. And, with the new pump and input shaft, he could use a late converter.

I am planning on rebuilding a A518 over the winter. I understand that the front is 727. Was wondering if the OD unit is covered in the book. Thanks.

I do discuss some of the differences. In fact, one of the cars I featured was a 62 that uses the later pump and clutch retainers and input shaft. And, with the new pump and input shaft, he could use a late converter.
Thanks tom, fingers crossed :) I don't know why i want to keep the pushbutton setup so bad.. would be easier to just go newer trans and a cheesy floor shifter..

Joe, no sir. I am not an expert on those and would never pretend to know enough to write honestly about them. I'd suggest a factory shop manual and pay attention to the tools and safety suggestions they have.
Tom

God the book and am impressed it's done really well. One quick question, since i can't find a decent stall 19spline converter, i know i can change the input shaft/pump to a newer 727 and use a 24 spline. The only 727 i have found near me is a 1977... are there specific years that it has to be to use the parts?

At least i think it's a '77 (PK4028412 5618 9284) If i read properly the 5618 is the date code which i converted in a 10000 day calander app..

P.S. ok.. so if this is correct, i can use a 71+ input shaft/pump as long as i also use the matching direct drum. Sorry for posting this here, didn't want to start a whole new thread for a few questions..
Trans conversion..

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back