• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fix old ac or upgrade?

Rusty knuckles

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
Was working on getting the AC in my 69 charger going, replacing the expansion valve and receiver. Well I think I messed something up in the evaporator as it leaked out with an audible hiss from the large line connection.

So my question is, should this be my indication to bite the bullet and go vintage air? I'm gonna have to tear the heater box out anyway and evaporator is like $400 it appears. Whole kit appears to be $1900.

69 charger is a candidate to stay original. I'd just fix the cause. You "could" swap over, but keep the original system aside. Your situation, your car, your choice.

Aftermarket systems typically don't have fresh air, requiring a block off from the existing opening to the cowl. The factory systems work very well when restored, but attention to detail is necessary.

Care must be taken with the aluminum threads on the evaporator and condenser. Use mineral oil to lubricate. Most use o-rings to seal. An understanding of thread types and how they seal properly is important. Often I have seen fittings improperly sealed with junk on the threads, when the seal is actually a flare, compression ferrule or o ring. A pressure test with nitrogen at 150-200 psi can reveal leaks before evacuation. Replace the shaft seal if using an RV-2 compressor.

The water valve seal can be had at NAPA or the kit from Detroit Muscle Tech.

Well sounds like the consensus is fix what I got. I kinda feel stupid because the car held a charge, but didn't cool because of the expansion valve being stuck. It was pretty tough to get off and while doing it I must have tweaked the tube on the large line. It was blowing cold. Then I shut the car off and hear hsssssssssssssss.:mad:

A hiss on shut off is normal. Have you restarted it to see if it still works? Evaporators and Condensors are easily fixed by welding the aluminum. I've had multiples repaired vs buying new. Fix what you have, save money and the old stuff works better imho.

A hiss on shut off is normal. Have you restarted it to see if it still works? Evaporators and Condensors are easily fixed by welding the aluminum. I've had multiples repaired vs buying new. Fix what you have, save money and the old stuff works better imho.
Oh she definitely was losing the freon.

Auto Transport Service
Back