• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat tappet availability getting worse.

....As for run of the mill cams made from blanks that they purchase elsewhere, they still do the grinding, dressing, acid treating, polishing and hardening so although they may not produce the raw casting, they do make the cam.

You've missed the point.

Call it what you like, although in the domestic manufacturing world that I live in, making has a very specific meaning and not to be confused with processing and finishing. But it's really unimportant.

The point was, and still is, until there are data that shows Comp's cams have a higher failure rate, and the root cause of the failures, its meaningless to view Comp Cams in a different light than the rest of the cam suppliers.

I'm not tell you to like it. I am saying it is what it is.

Here is an opinion based on observation in the manufacturing world: The casting of cores for the aftermarket for 50 year old engines is very very insignificant in CWC's world, and any other foundry with any meaninful production capabilities. It is clearly the bottom of their priority. They probably don't even make margin. On the other hand, a significant part of Comp Cams business is selling us cast cams for the aftermarket for 50 year old engines. For their respective roles, my money for product/process QA/QC is on Comp Cam over CWC.

Again, all cam suppliers have failures, the failures may, or may not be due to the cam, the failures that are cam related, are likely do to a combination of both the foundry quality and the grinder/finisher quality.

It will interesting to see where this ends up. It's hard to believe that it won't get worse, and the cost goes up. If you want to avoid cam failures, you will need to move away from flat tappet cams.

Woah hold it. No sir, you do NOT get to put words in my mouth. "Imply", my ***.
"Worse than others"? I'd need to be privy on the entire cam industry and its' failure statistics to make
such a claim, which is why I didn't.
I'm sure other manufacturers have had issues as well and I'm sure Comp has garnered a lions' share of the
bad press in no small part because of their prominence in the field - but that absolves them of zero
responsibility for what they sell under their banner, in their boxes, under their name as a producer of
cams and lifters.

Go back and actually read what I've posted. I've had more than one bad experience with their stuff in the last
several years, versus using other brands. I related one in my original post in this thread, followed by what
happened to Birdsong.
I stated I'm done doing business with that company as a result which right or wrong, is indeed my choice.
Beyond that, you're trying to hang a whole lot of baggage on me with this "implying" **** that was neither
stated nor implied.
Nope, not happening.

Lookit...
You've got an entire internet full of "Comp stories" out there on failures, not just mine - hell, there's others
IN THIS THREAD saying the same thing - but you've decided to laser-lock on me. Fine, let's talk.
I keep reading that Comp "doesn't make cams", right? That's a cop-out, plain and simple.
From their own website:
"For more than 35 years, the COMP Cams® mission has never changed: to produce the highest-performing
products possible, provide customers with superior service, and to lead the industry in technological
development."

If they don't "make" cams....they sure as hell CLAIM they do.
Doesn't matter anyways - they're directly responsible for what they sell, nobody else.

I see you're a little testy this morning. Be angry at me, be angry at Comp. If you don't like Comp Cams, take your business elswhere. It is the right thing to do. But you need to accept the reality of the risk associated with flat tappet cams.

We all know the risks of using flat tappets, but when we have a failure , how does one know what happened. Was cam itself made, finished or installed incorrectly. Or was it an inferior lifter failure. Or was it a lubrication failure. All we know is cam lobes shot, lifter or lifters shot. IF cam sellers pack inferior lifters with their cams and they fail, the seller will get blamed for it all. I understand this mostly affects stock, RV , low po motors but some folks don t want to spend an additional $500 to $800 buck to go roller. As a teenager I got to put together more engine combos than most of my friends and never once had a cam problem other than not having enough motor for my cam choice....

A buddy that builds Pontiacs needed a big roller and Comp couldn't come up with a core. (which is probably a good thing) I think he found a Crower with similar specs. He had a Comp roller lifter go away. No surprise there especially on the street. LOL

So, can we just get rid of the EPA. Bunch of worthless fucks anyways. Problem solved.
No, Before the EPA we had the Love Canal, Picher Mine, Libby Asbestos Contamination not to mention the Cuyahoga river caught fire over a dozen times. There are plenty of other examples, but if a shortcut saves a few bucks, the environment and local residents can handle it, right?

Well I happened upon a nib set of comp lifters circa 2000 on CL for $65 so I snatched them up to have.

Well I happened upon a nib set of comp lifters circa 2000 on CL for $65 so I snatched them up to have.
:thumbsup:
That is a good savings. Lifters nowadays of that quality are 3 times that.

We've been trying to use hylift Johnson lifters... also make the bodies for Rhoads, so we have gotten our last 4 sets from Rhoads. But $135-$235 is what it takes to get good quality flat tappets from Rhoads.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back