• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat tappet cam wear pattern

I used to help a friend with his race cars. Using straight alk you must jet almost 3x richer than with race gas. That much fuel washes the cylinders down and bypasses the rings, filling the crankcase or oil tank.
We didn't need to increase compression, it was already pretty high being a race engine.

Here in MO gasoline is up to 10% ethanol.
Ok so use ethanol as a fuel result in damage the cylinders, piston rings and also delute the oil with it because you fill up the crank case beacause of the rich jetting wich will result in total engine damage, so if this is the case ethanol would not be possible to use in any otto engine. But isnt it so that ethanol evoporate much faster than petrol and become to be burnable gas together with air much faster than petrol and thats the reason you need more of it, ethanol also has higher octan rate and burns slowlier and need more ignition timing but also has much lower energy in it than petrol wich also be a reason the engine need more of it, but i belive it all goes to combustion and not down to the crank case because if that would be the case ethanol would be total useless and damage all engines. This is only what i thought, i have no experience of it

It does not all go down crank case, racing engines exposed to cylinder wall wash down but street motors use far less ethanol than race cars.

Here in MO gasoline is up to 10% ethanol.
Europe is the same, E10 fuel.

This bio **** indeed washes down the piston rings contaminating the oil also.
The carb indeed needs to be enriched as you require more fuel.
The attack on rubbers and seals is the most "known" fact to the crowd.

I just went trough it at work to run our main engines on B20 bio diesel, short story is we would require to add biocide to the fuel storage tanks to avoid microbiological growth, add a fuel improver to avoid getting issues with blocked fuel filters and fuel injectors and increase oil sampling to monitor the fuel contamination in the oil and maybe increase the oil change interval.
So you are adding a **** load of chemicals and likely use more lubrication oil as this can no longer be used on the current 1000 hour interval.

And what i read about this bio fuel is that: They add up to 10% ethanol (so 5-10%) in the E10 petrol, and bear in mind this also creates emission gasses, same as normal petrol.
But, the average engines consume op to 3-7% more fuel due to the ethanol.
So what the f*ck is so "green" about it? That we are using 5-10% less hydrocarbon based fuel?
It is the same marketing trick as that you need to pay extra for CO2 compensation, so after you paid extra for your bus/plane/boat ticket the engine of a car/plane/boat discharges less CO2?
We are being fooled and someone is making some serious money on this.
The environment? Remains same. :upyours:

My car is as "green" as it gets, Sublime Green!! :lol:

Last edited:
We had a Valvoline oil sponsorship so we used their synthetic. At the end of the night the oil looked like milk due to all the ethanol in it. So, we contacted Valvoline. After their research they said not to use synthetic and to use their dino.
After trying many different oils including what Gibbs said to use-every time a fresh engine used Gibbs it blew. Gibbs admitted there was a problem-remember when na$car went to E15 and Gibbs was blowing engines?
We went to Royal Purple which didn't get diluted by the ethanol. Drain it into a metal pan and flash off the ethanol. Put it right back in the engine.

Yes, the huge amount of fuel does indeed wash down the cylinders. You need a good oil to prevent scoring. Ever seen a nitro drag car with excess fuel coming out the pipes? They run so rich they are on the verge of hydrolock.

An engine running on ethanol is "smoother" as in power delivery due to the nature of the fuel.
On 114 gas the power delivery is much more abrupt. Builders even change the firing order by switching the #5 and 7 cylinders (yes I know the cam lobes are switched also). It smooths out the power delivery even more.
Big help on dirt.

Europe is the same, E10 fuel.

This bio **** indeed washes down the piston rings contaminating the oil also.
The carb indeed needs to be enriched as you require more fuel.
The attack on rubbers and seals is the most "known" fact to the crowd.

I just went trough it at work to run our main engines on B20 bio diesel, short story is we would require to add biocide to the fuel storage tanks to avoid microbiological growth, add a fuel improver to avoid getting issues with blocked fuel filters and fuel injectors and increase oil sampling to monitor the fuel contamination in the oil and maybe increase the oil change interval.
So you are adding a **** load of chemicals and likely use more lubrication oil as this can no longer be used on the current 1000 hour interval.

And what i read about this bio fuel is that: They add up to 10% ethanol (so 5-10%) in the E10 petrol, and bear in mind this also creates emission gasses, same as normal petrol.
But, the average engines consume op to 3-7% more fuel due to the ethanol.
So what the f*ck is so "green" about it? That we are using 5-10% less hydrocarbon based fuel?
It is the same marketing trick as that you need to pay extra for CO2 compensation, so after you paid extra for your bus/plane/boat ticket the engine of a car/plane/boat discharges less CO2?
We are being fooled and someone is making some serious money on this.
The environment? Remains same. :upyours:

My car is as "green" as it gets, Sublime Green!! :lol:
Its terrible they can going on with this **** but it is like you say, someone making huge money on it and thats all this crap bio fuel **** is, its all about money. In sweden it is E5 95 octane and E5 98 octane and almost all petrol stations have E85

Auto Transport Service
Back