• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fluid Dynamic Engineer in the House? Air filters and CFM's

sam dupont

Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
Wondering how filter size is determined. More exactly, what is the smallest filter that can be used on a 500 cfm 2 barrel. Online converters say the a 440 at 5000 rpm makes 31 cfm. I have no idea what that means. Can a filter be rated by total square inches of paper?

I need an air cleaner for a piece of farm equipment. It has had a 383 two barrel installed and there is almost no room for a cleaner (or anything else). I found filters that are 6 or 6.5 by 2 that will fit, but will they flow enough CFM's when the motor is turning 4,000 RPM's?

Maybe do a gauze type, like the K&N or AEM gauze filter etc.
so it will filter dust dirt & still flow plenty of air needed

we did a lil' 6" or maybe 8" K&N
on my buddies 68 CJ5 Jeep with a 2 BBl Rochester carb
you can get them in like 1", 1-1/2", 2", 3" x 'X' dimensions etc.
& chrome (maybe black) Wahoo !!!
if you have room get the X-flow top plate too, it helps

hands down a gauze filter will outflow any paper element
even at like 1/2 the size/diameter

'Engine masters'
did a great episode of the filter & effects

paper filters & the shape of the base can impede flow drastically

maybe a tube with a cone style filter (still gauze) on the end
route where you have room & away from a heat source

Not sure what happened with your online calculator...possibly it wasn't in cu inches. A calculator should say 355-380cfm for a 383 and 4k...varies all depends on how efficient the engine is. Here is a link that has some good thoughts along the lines of what you need. The figures they use are from k&n
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/filter.htm

...the 6.5 x2" tall even with the best k&n high flowing filter is only good for 153cfm. 383 is going to Weeze at 4k. It needs to be about twice that size.
Curious as to what this is in? Lol

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back