• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Folding Top Problems With a 70 RR

soundhd

Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
Have a recently purchased 70 RR Convertible (my first Mopar drop top).....folding top has started showing problems.......when putting it down one side does not go all the way down, need to push it down manually the last few inches. A couple days ago I put the top a little more then halfway down (was working on the interior...) it eventually worked it's way all the way down on it's own and when at the end of the day I tried to put it back up it took about 5 minutes to get to the point where the weight of the top finally pulled it all the way up (all the way down to the windshield frame). Today I am going to put the top all the way down and pull the back seat out and start to do some checking on the top pump & lines (see if the fluid is low, check for leaks on the lines...etc...) Is there anything else I should check on the folding top system while I have access to everything? I assume I should be able to see if there are air pockets in the lines, usually the lines are at least semi-transparent.....Thanks

Check for leaks in the cylinders, particularly the one that's not going down. Once you get back there you'll see how simple the system really is. The lines are semi transparent white or should be.

I don't remember where I got this, but here's some good advice:

One thing you can do is disconnect top of hydraulic piston from top irons, and operate the top by hand. This will quickly show any pivot, slip joints, and hinge points that are stiff needing some cleaning and lubrication with some type that won’t attract dirt such as Teflon, or silicone.

Also if you find the fluid level is low, you need to find the leak and repair it, than top off with fluid and bleed air out of system. Bleeding is easily accomplished with top up, both hydraulic cylinders detached from top irons, and running pump up & down adding fluid as needed as air is displaced. Once both pistons go up and down at the same time, reconnect to top irons.

Well I did find some fluid on the floor after I removed the rear seat bottom & back......all the fluid was in the center of floor......looked like nothing was leaking from the pistons......pump level was low.......tube/cylinder connections were dry so I removed the connection for the two T's at the pump, dried them off, applied teflon pipe wrap and buttoned them up.....topped off the pump and did 4 or 5 test up's and down's with no sign of any leaks and seems to be working ok.....for now anyway...will check it again in a month or so.....but thanks for the info above...will make a copy and ad it to notes.....

thanks

Will try and remember to take some photos when I check it again.........unless I start having more problems it won't be till the end of summer.........had a "heck" of a time getting the rear seat back cushion back in place.........LOL........(must be gettin" old...)

Will try and remember to take some photos when I check it again.........unless I start having more problems it won't be till the end of summer.........had a "heck" of a time getting the rear seat back cushion back in place.........LOL........(must be gettin" old...)
NO NO NO we want picture of the CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back