• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For guys that can’t afford the real deal

Didjaknow, there was a diesel chevette? With a five speed stick (no auto option), 51hp, 0-60 of 20 seconds (!?!) and 55mpg. The very definition of rare, but undesirable.
I have an older buddy that has a mint condition 80-something diesel Volkswagon Rabbit. He’s been asking me to help him sell it. Pretty rare today. They are more desirable than you think. There are Chevy nuts, Volkswagon nuts, diesel nuts, etc. Out there. Not worth a lot. But, they are desired by some. There are a lot of people that will pay a nice price for a rare model of their favorite make, etc. Plus, you have to take into account it’s hard to find a descent used car of any make, model, or year under 5 grand in good shape, today. If you have one of these cars we’ve talked about in very good condition. It’s not unthinkable, that the right person might pay up to several grand for it.

Last edited:
I have an older buddy that has a mint condition 80-something diesel Volkswagon Rabbit. He’s been asking me to help him sell it. Pretty rare today.
I would love to have a diesel rabbit pickup. (Assuming it still ran, of course!) 50 mpg, with some stuff in the bed and a little utility trailer tagging along. I could get from arizona to socal for about six bucks! (maybe seven fifty.)

Last edited:
Parents had a couple "Vettes" and one day my mother noticed the motor in one of them making an awful racket...we had a look and found that the crank had broke diagonally from the front of the crank back through the harmonic balancer but was staying in place. Parents decided was not worth fixing so gave the OK to my Brother and I to do with as we pleased.

Being rear wheel drive the cover came off and the welder came out...we now had a locker, and we took it out and did a massive burn out. Well it took a lot of work to get that gutless 4 banger to get those rear tires to start spinning and when they did it was just barely moving, but we just kept it going and it eventually picked up speed. We cooked those tires until the metal bands started coming loose and the motor was over heating. We laughed like fools the whole time.:rofl:

I remember my first ride in a Chevette. I was prepared for a yawn-fest, having read up on a few disparaging magazine reviews regarding the miniature engine and poor quality interior. Plus, I was less than impressed with Pinto and Vega performance and they could be had with larger engines.
So, a friend had, for some reason, a 1976 (brand new) rental car Chevette with a four speed. He cut out into traffic and I was actually surprised, it zipped right along. It pulled harder than my (admittedly underwhelming) 302 powered Torino and I had to admit that it wasn't that bad. After that, it had about 25% less suck factor in my mind. :)

I would love to have a diesel rabbit pickup. (Assuming it still ran, of course!) 50 mpg, with some stuff in the bed and a little utility trailer tagging along. I could get from arizona to socal for about six bucks! (maybe seven fifty.)
I found the Rabbit diesel pickups usually sell for around 5-7 k on Ebay over the past year or so. Very rare today. I’d buy one in a heart beat for the right condition and price. Those diesel economy vehicles from that time period were absolutely gutless. But, you pay for the nostalgia.

Last edited:
Parents had a couple "Vettes" and one day my mother noticed the motor in one of them making an awful racket...we had a look and found that the crank had broke diagonally from the front of the crank back through the harmonic balancer but was staying in place. Parents decided was not worth fixing so gave the OK to my Brother and I to do with as we pleasedBeing
I remember my first ride in a Chevette. I was prepared for a yawn-fest, having read up on a few disparaging magazine reviews regarding the miniature engine and poor quality interior. Plus, I was less than impressed with Pinto and Vega performance and they could be had with larger engines.
So, a friend had, for some reason, a 1976 (brand new) rental car Chevette with a four speed. He cut out into traffic and I was actually surprised, it zipped right along. It pulled harder than my (admittedly underwhelming) 302 powered Torino and I had to admit that it wasn't that bad. After that, it had about 25% less suck factor in my mind. :)
You’re exactly right. They had an extremely poor built interior. Particularly, the seats.

The model Chevette my family had, when I was a kid. Had some kind of vinyl red mesh seat interior. Damn, was it uncomfortable. You know it’s uncomfortable, when it bothers you as a young kid and you remember that feeling a few decades later.

He ya go! Lovin' the Roller and the 3 wheeler Reliant!!

General-Lee-Replica-Dukes-of-Hazzard-03.jpg
6ddfaf636571afaa5a05b7716486075c.jpg
general-lee-smart-car.jpg
tempo-GL.jpg
unnamed.jpg
general-lee-jr.jpg
1r9krf2wje541.jpg
orange-golf-cart.jpg
Robin-Reliant-General-lee-680x680.jpg
orange-golf-cart.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service