• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE-NOT MINE: 1972 Roadrunner GTX Track Pak 440 HP 4spd Dana 60 Only 219 Built Rare - $25,900 (Scottsdale)

Green paint must have been cheaper than other colors? The OEMs will do anything to save a few pennies per car.

I think a guy could put 3k of interior in it, then drive the wheels off of it.

Green paint must have been cheaper than other colors? The OEMs will do anything to save a few pennies per car.
When my parents ordered their 70 Charger R/T SE,they couldn't have ordered any more green if they tried! F8 green paint,green leather interior,with a green vinal top! Green was extremely popular back in the day!

20220531_224057.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe some SWAG's on these estimates:
$25,900 purchase
$12,000 interior
$20,000 paint & body
$15,000 entire driveline, susp, & brakes
$2,000 enclosed transport to Georgia
Total: $74,900

Then add 25% for miscellaneous items such as tires, vinyl roof, rechromed bumpers ….. and the list goes on.

When my parents ordered their 70 Charger R/T SE,they couldn't have ordered any more green if they tried! F8 green paint,green leather interior,with a green vinal top! Green was extremely popular back in the day!

View attachment 1585382

...and green tail stripe?

Maybe some SWAG's on these estimates:
$25,900 purchase
$12,000 interior
$20,000 paint & body
$15,000 entire driveline, susp, & brakes
$2,000 enclosed transport to Georgia
Total: $74,900

Is this particular car worth it? Of course it is. Does it make financial sense? No, but most hobbies do not.

Yeah, I know there is a similarly optioned, but beautifully restored '72 RR GTX that was posted for sale here on August 26, 2022. Gorgeous car. It isn't currently marked as sold.
When I bought my current GTX last year, after chasing it for decades, these were the numbers I was crunching, and curiously enough, that bottom line number is where the negotiating started. So what is a "fair" price? On the one hand, a reasonable case could be made for 75K, based on the condition of the car, and its options, colors, and history. As a counterpoint, I had recently sold my restored, numbers matching A33 GTX for under 50K, and I countered in that range. I asserted that as rare and nice as the car was, the buyer pool at that level was limited. And it was a safe bet that someone with my love for that particular vehicle, and the means to pay for it, would never walk into that garage again. However, I agreed I could never have brought a project car to that level with less than 100K in the process.

There is no escaping the math that buying the "done" car will be cheaper than restoration costs, as RC has repeatedly, and accurately, pointed out in other posts. But maybe a show piece restoration is not what the potential buyer is after. The strike price of the '72 in question will probably be the product of finding a buyer who doesn't aspire to a show car, or the long shot - someone who for personal reasons wants that particular specimen. The dice roll of life can sure influence pricing on these things if someone who loves that car but doesn't have the funds suddenly comes into windfall money.

If it wasn't 2/3 of the way across the country, I'd look at it.

The car that set my Mopar fire was that color and a 4 speed with black interior, but was a 69 Super Bee.

Even though at the time, I was vehemently opposed to green, I swore I'd not let green deter me from buying a 69 Super Bee.

...and the OP car has a 440, a pistol grip, and that cool 72 only grill.

Folks will be reading this thread in 10-years time astonished at how cheap this car was and even more astonished that people thought it was overpriced.

Unlike many people here
I like most all the greens on MoPars back then & still do today

I actually prefer Green cars now
or something in the green to blues or teal pallets
it's what screams later 60's to me...

Never been a big fan of the green interiors, but no hate here..

The car could easily be bought by someone that can do the body refinishing, and has a complete interior waiting..
Or buy a mint satellite and swap interiors/ miscellaneous parts.
When I finally found my 64 Dodge, I'd been collecting parts for years just for that exact occasion.
Starting from the ground up at zero would suck. Buying every single piece at full blown retail as some are suggesting.

View attachment 1585382
#1 My 1st 68 Charger R/T was GG1, dark racing green
#2 my 1st Sport Satellite (I got in 1979)
my mom's 1st ever ordered brand-new
in Nov 1967, a 1968 383 4bbl 4 speed SS in GG1/white top & guts
#3 my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 is Emerald Green & silver

I think #2 it was that car that turned me
&
Dave Hough's AA/FA 'Nanook of the North' was green a lot,
I loved that car too, I worshiped that dude 'as kid'
Uncle Joe Pisano's funny cars were often green,
in his early years, the one Al Segreni "Brute Force" he drove was too

23 Ford T F-A Nanook #4 Green Dave Hough.jpg

I actually prefer Green cars now
or something in the green to blues or teal pallets
it's what screams later 60's to me...
Good point about the way they looked back then. My red GTX was a freak when new. Just about every Road Runner and Charger I saw in that era was medium green with a black interior. With the black hood stripes on the '69 RR, it was my favorite color back then. But the market does discount it today, which sure worked in my favor when I bought my green Hemi GTX.

In 1968 green was popular in houses as well. green in 69 was the highest selling color for plymouth. I love green, and own several green cars.That price for that reflects where it is right now, as 25k there is a low price taking into account Incomes and house prices.

So, When barrett jackson comes in later this winter,, people will be there from all over the country. so likely it won't stick around. Also, I lived in phoenix around the mopar guys for a number of years, and there are two prices usually,,, local guy and out of towners. also, One factor that affects time is many guys are too afraid to travel and look in person. I used to pick up two every year there while visiting relatives, and the best prices are obtained when you show up in person pulling a trailer.

you have to remember a large percentage of these buyers are capable of finishing these cars as well, so those numbers for restoration are inflated. so, for example If you need new upholstery for a car, Phoenix is the best place to be.

I was in the military when the 71-72's were new, and the 72 was every bit as popular as the 71,,,,
I think the price is easy 20k, with maybe 20k more to finish up. But I do understand some people have to hire 100% of the work out. if so, then maybe it is best to buy one done from someone that is looking to sell.

Last edited:

Maybe they got a deal from the government on leftover paint from the Nam war.

Agree on the selling price, but you’re waaaaaay light on the DIY finish up cost.

Ask me how I know.
I understand what you are saying, but I do everything myself except for paint, and none I have finished ever reached those prices. body labor is the major cost I can say, but some parts of the country it is a cheaper rate than others. I also stay clear of cars that need extensive metal repair, as you say they can be a money pit for sure.

I will agree that the contributing factor to Increasing costs are body shops that think their work is gold, and charge accordingly. In addition, machine shops are a dying breed, and the survivors are pricing their work to match.

Judging from the pictures, the ad accurately describes the car. It looks like a nice solid project that’s pretty complete for a 50 year old car. Matching numbers helps the value, but the lost fender tag is a costly mistake.

Restored to original condition that will be a beautiful car…

I've said it before, and the comments here actually support my opinion. If you had put all new steel onto a body and it was rust free, how much would you expect to pay? That is with the steel, and the labor and time involved, along with the original "cheap" price you paid for the car. People, most people, don't think about this like I do. You will have well over $26,000 into this type of pedigree project car by the time you have the body rock solid and the engine running and driving. Yes, there is more to go, but as said earlier, this car could have an interior put in and truly be a hell of a lot more fun than most of your cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back