• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the last piece I installed today and soon going to catch some ZZZZ!
DSC04863.JPG
DSC04864.JPG
DSC04865.JPG
DSC04866.JPG
DSC04867.JPG

What a great thread and a fantastic insight to your processes throughout this restoration. Truly an inspiration, and I only wish I could have read this thread about 18 years ago. :D ....would have short-cutted a load of research before the innerweb was the most valuable tool.

J, you da man. You have shown me a few things I have never seen. Goes to show, you never stop learning. Keep posting, I am really enjoying following along.

D

So much detail, I absolutely love following along. You could honestly make this into a book, I know I bought one called "Project Charger" that wasn't near as detailed but did help a lot during my build.

EPIC thread!!! Eat your heart out, Worman!!!! lol
Mario
Thanks my friend and much appreciated......:thumbsup: BTW this is Season 1 and my car IS as closely built to OE specifications just like it rolled out of the factory back in 10/68.....Eat that!

J, you da man. You have shown me a few things I have never seen. Goes to show, you never stop learning. Keep posting, I am really enjoying following along.

D
Darrin

I cannot state this enough towards you but coming from you that means A LOT! I also appreciate all the things thus far you have pointed out to me that I did not know!

Got the NOS antenna installed. If you look closely the box label is for a Dodge. The only difference between a dodge and Plymouth is the chrome base. On a plymouth the base is thicker and has a more of a bezeled edge.
DSC04868.JPG
DSC04869.JPG
DSC04870.JPG
DSC04871.JPG
DSC04873.JPG
DSC04874.JPG
DSC04875.JPG
DSC04876.JPG

Do not forget to wax all areas prior to installing over them...may be overkill but good protection..

D
DSC04880.JPG
DSC04881.JPG
DSC04884.JPG
DSC04885.JPG

DSC04894.JPG

High beam switch...This is the original switch unit to the X. Dated the 42nd week of 68(hard to take a pic of). They are a royal PITA to take apart without damaging the cap or the base. The base was cleaned up with steel wool and the cap was plated. It has very unique hardware with head marking and those were plated as well.
DSC03679.JPG
DSC04895.JPG
DSC04896.JPG
DSC04897.JPG
DSC04898.JPG
DSC04899.JPG
View attachment 415455
DSC04901.JPG
DSC04902.JPG
DSC04903.JPG

Rear inner fender splash shields. The originals were in great shape and the only pitting was in areas hidden behind the bolts. Simply stripped them with paint stripper and soaked them in my phosphoric acid tank overnight. Keep in mind any acid has to be neutralized and I use baking soda in water to accomplish this. Almost all of my metal parts got a phosphoric acid bath. It etches the metal as well.

These were originally dipped in semi gloss. So when I repainted these there was a sag/run or too but really doesn't matter because they get blasted with undercoating. Replaced the seals from ones bought from Mega parts. The large thin washer bolts were older new ones but are exactly like the originals. The large thick washer bolts are a challenge to find in good shape and not pitted. Mine were not and they got silver zinc plating. Notice the distinct head marking. The upper two bolts(not pictured) I found just a bit ago. The two "sems" bolts go where the fender meets the shield by the rear bottom fender tab.
DSC04905.JPG
DSC04906.JPG
DSC04907.JPG
DSC04908.JPG
DSC04909.JPG
DSC04910.JPG
DSC04911.JPG
DSC04912.JPG
DSC04913.JPG

Do not forget to put the rocker plug in first prior to installing these. The fender tab originally from the factory received this blackout treatment and it was so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb with the body color on it(think of sublime against a black splash shield). BTW that is how they taped off for the organisol treatment on the rocker panel. The black out was done crudely with paint and a brush on the line. Then the bolts gets installed and eventually may get a little undercoat overspray. The flash makes it look grey but it is satin black.
DSC04915.JPG
DSC04916.JPG
DSC04917.JPG
DSC04918.JPG
DSC04919.JPG
DSC04920.JPG
DSC04921.JPG
DSC04922.JPG
DSC04923.JPG

Last edited:
NOS air grabber cable with correct plug with pm's and logo. I forgot to install this plug prior to putting in the firewall insulation but thats the best time to do so. Keep in mind the part number side of the plug faces the interior. In any event you have plenty of room to pull it back a little and put the plug in. Then just push the cable through the plug. Why do I do it that way? There is not enough room through the cardboard to install the plug without potentially damaging the cardboard hole.
DSC04925.JPG
DSC04926.JPG
DSC04927.JPG
DSC04928.JPG

Do you like my redneck baking station?...lol!
View attachment 415485
My painter uses a wood fire and baking trays to dry small parts - works well, and serves two purposes - keeps the shop warm on winter nights. :) Also places the hanging frame to dry larger items near the fire.

Here are some factory marking I found behind the interior parts. The 2's and the 10 I have no clue what they were for. The swipe on the door hinge is a completion mark.
DSC02651.JPG
DSC02652.JPG
DSC02480.JPG
DSC02481.JPG
DSC02535.JPG
DSC02536.JPG

Last edited:
Could I get a wider screen shot of where the antenna cable goes through from outside to inside the pass compartment? I think I got it but want to be sure.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back