• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For those who have had the shingles......

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:12 PM
Reaction score
How did it make you feel and how long did it last? Looks like I had a mild case but not real sure what mild is with this stuff. Had it on the left side of my head and going over my left eye across the eyebrow and partway down the left side of my nose. It also went up and over the left side of my scalp and a bit down the back of my head. Also had a couple of swollen spots with one being under my eye and that was the worse spot. Not real painful though but more of a pita and it made me feel like I didn't want to do anything and when I did do something, my energy went away rather fast. Had some intermittent pain similar to what a sinus headache does but it comes and goes away somewhat quickly thank God! It's almost gone now after 2 weeks and that was 2 weeks too long!

Sounds nasty. I hope it subsides fairly quickly. Submit and I got the shots a year and a half ago after her worthless, PIA, loser of a brother got it.

Does anyone know if you get the shots now if it will prevent future flair ups?

Wife and I got the vaccine 1 1/2 years ago as well. Sounds like a painful thing to deal with.

My brother, sister and I all got chicken pox at the same time - late in life when I was 21. They are both younger than me....and I only got it because our grandfather caught shingles and was staying with us. He passed the virus on...as shingles and chicken pox are related. Our symptoms lasted for about 10 days, but Grandad's shingles went on for about 3 weeks.
Not a pleasant experience, and I hope that now I have had chicken pox as an adult, I have a better immunity....but I probably won't risk banking on that.

That's about how long it lasted for me, 2 weeks of hell. I got the meds for it on the 3rd day. The worst part for me was the effects on the nerves, dam that sucked.

Sounds nasty. I hope it subsides fairly quickly. Submit and I got the shots a year and a half ago after her worthless, PIA, loser of a brother got it.

Hopefully you don’t need to get a booster every 2 months afterwards…

Had them in1969 when I was 23. All the way around my beltline. Ouch! Went to my MD, he gave me a shot and that was that. Don't remember exactly how long they took to subside but it was too long.

Cranky , I also had the around my waist like 66383.
Took two weeks to run its course. Doc gave me a prescription that did help alot.

If you’ve had chickenpox, you can get shingles. If you’ve been vaccinated with the shingles stuff, you won’t get it. If you’ve been vaccinated for chickenpox, you won’t get either of them.

My Aunt had shingles about 7 years ago, sucked for her as she got chickenpox pox about 15 years prior to that. She’s 3 days younger than me, yeah grandparents didn’t watch tv!! I had chickenpox when I was 7, won’t get the shingles vaccine cause why bother since getting shingles is really hit or miss.

Mostly affects the waist, backside and legs and is very painful.
Have heard of getting it in the arms and back but have never known anyone to get it on your head.
Do you have a rash to go with it ?
Usually last 2-3 weeks during a flareup.
Get the vaccine as it does make a difference.

How did it make you feel and how long did it last? Looks like I had a mild case but not real sure what mild is with this stuff. Had it on the left side of my head and going over my left eye across the eyebrow and partway down the left side of my nose. It also went up and over the left side of my scalp and a bit down the back of my head. Also had a couple of swollen spots with one being under my eye and that was the worse spot. Not real painful though but more of a pita and it made me feel like I didn't want to do anything and when I did do something, my energy went away rather fast. Had some intermittent pain similar to what a sinus headache does but it comes and goes away somewhat quickly thank God! It's almost gone now after 2 weeks and that was 2 weeks too long!
It will keep coming back if you don't get the shot for the shingles.

You got lucky this time being it was so close to your eye.

No return, or flare ups, for more than four years.

My brother, sister and I all got chicken pox at the same time - late in life when I was 21. They are both younger than me....and I only got it because our grandfather caught shingles and was staying with us. He passed the virus on...as shingles and chicken pox are related. Our symptoms lasted for about 10 days, but Grandad's shingles went on for about 3 weeks.
Not a pleasant experience, and I hope that now I have had chicken pox as an adult, I have a better immunity....but I probably won't risk banking on that.
Might better do some research on that or talk to your doc about having a better immunity.....

That's about how long it lasted for me, 2 weeks of hell. I got the meds for it on the 3rd day. The worst part for me was the effects on the nerves, dam that sucked.
I felt like something was up late Tuesday 2 weeks ago and by Friday I was thinking shingles. Sent a photo to a couple of friends and they said 'looks like shingles'. Tried to get a doctor's appointment with my regular doc but ending up going to one of those urgent care places on Monday morning. Might have been better if I had gone on Friday but really didn't even think about doing something like that.

If you’ve had chickenpox, you can get shingles. If you’ve been vaccinated with the shingles stuff, you won’t get it. If you’ve been vaccinated for chickenpox, you won’t get either of them.

My Aunt had shingles about 7 years ago, sucked for her as she got chickenpox pox about 15 years prior to that. She’s 3 days younger than me, yeah grandparents didn’t watch tv!! I had chickenpox when I was 7, won’t get the shingles vaccine cause why bother since getting shingles is really hit or miss.
Well, I understand that thinking but was planning on getting the shingles shot or whatever they give now but procrastinated and here I am. I had the pox at about 7 too. My dad got shingles when he was around 75-76. Don't know if it had anything to do with it but he checked out at 77. At 71.5 :)D), it pretty much took away any steam I still have.....but feels like the steam is slowly coming back.

Mostly affects the waist, backside and legs and is very painful.
Have heard of getting it in the arms and back but have never known anyone to get it on your head.
Do you have a rash to go with it ?
Usually last 2-3 weeks during a flareup.
Get the vaccine as it does make a difference.
Started out as a rash or small pimples that turned into blisters over a few days time. What I have now looks like scabs and dried skin....

When you get the chicken pox, after it's over, the virus will go and hide in your spine. Anytime your amune system is compromised the virus can resurface on your body somewhere as shingles. Depending on which vertebrae it was hiding in will determine which nerve system it will break out on. In my case my left arm and palm of my hand and fingers were effected. (C-6 vertebrae)

If you have never had the chicken pox a person with shingles can infect you. You'll get the chicken pox and it's a little risky the older you get. You have to have had chicken pox in order to get shingles.

The Shingles virus infects the nerve endings. Each blister is a nerve ending that's become infected. Nerve endings don't regenerate and more than likely they will be permanently damaged resulting in numbness in that area. The sooner you notice this rash or blisters and get immediate medical diagnosis the better. Your physician will administer the vaccine that will hopefully stop the virus from progressing any further. The shingles that have already started will be what you have to deal with. Pain medication and ointment is about all there is to treat them.

In my case, about 12 years ago, the shingles actually started in my urinary track. It was like pissing razor blades and when done it felt like my manhood was on fire for a minute or two later. My urologist couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. He missed the diagnosis all together. Chicken Pox and Shingles is a Herpes virus.

This went on for a whole week and suddenly one morning it was gone. Later that afternoon I started getting a rash on my left arm. It looked like poison oak and I had been handling poison oak the day before. That kinda threw me off for a day but it started getting worse. Went to my physician and right away she recognized what it was. She gave me the shot but it was almost too late. I had already had it in my system for over a week before getting the shot. They like to see medical attention within 24 to 48 hours after noticing a rash.

So waiting this long created some of the worst pain that I have ever experienced in my life. It was like holding my arm and hand over an open flame, for eight weeks! No relief what soever. They gave me Percocet to take for the pain but it would only last for about 15 minutes, just long enough for me to doze off for a nap but then the pain would wake me up. There was no sleep, just the periodic nap. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. The nerve pattern on my arm and hand that was effected has permanent damage and is numb.

All you have to do is compromise your amune system as in not taking care of yourself, not eating right, not getting proper sleep and so forth and if you have had chicken pox in the past it can reappear as shingles. My amune system was compromised by being on Enbrel, an immune suppressor used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. I was on it for 90 days, felt great, looked great, had a good appetite but little did I know there was a chance of this taking place.

I believe, depending on your amune system, some will have a mild case, some can have a more severe case. Recognizing this in its early stage is key. The vaccine wasn't suggested until you were 65 years old. Lately they have had second thoughts and are administering it earlier at 50 to 55. Getting the vaccine doesn't guarantee you, you won't have an outbreak but it should be milder than if you didn't get it.

Last edited:
So did the sinus headache start first or the actual rash Cranky?

Tell me you went to the doctor. Shingles being close to the eye can be dangerous. If nerves in the eye are effected it can cause blindness.

Get better soon Cranky! Hang tough.

I got the shots at age 56. A little early, but I watched our neighbor go though it when I was a kid. Etched in my brain.

Got a shingle vaccine shot 8 years ago, wife got shingles not vaccinated. Shot suppose to 80% effective I think. Wife had a mild case, hard for her, if there's an itch it need scratching.

yep & IIRC, there are like 11 (?) different strains of the Chicken Pox virus

I had a buddy Bruce that caught chicken pox,
we were in our 20's working at Union Ice Delivery Co.
(I already had it as a young child, like 9-10)
he was layed up at home, I went to Jack in the Box
as a surprise & got him some lunch & to visit
he was bored, couped up for a while...
I figured I had Chicken Pox already, was immune 'in/of sorts'
been a round all my siblings as they got it too,
never caught it again 'when I was younger'

Like 5-7 or so days later
I noticed some rash on my stomach, lil' red splotches
ended up getting it bad, lots of pimple-ish red dots,
all over my face, arms & legs too
(I still have small scars from it one bump above my left eyebrow
& lil' crater on my nose
)
& a high fever
It came on really quickly, I was layed up for nearly 2 weeks before, it was all gone
& it was far worse than what I had as a child...
Kicked my ***...

be careful, you can get it 'more than once' too

IIRC, I was told by my Dr.;
"I should NOT get the Shingles vaccine"
this was almost 20 years ago now, after I saw a commercial that said;
"if you had Chicken Pox you're prone to get the Shingles virus",
I figure 'OH ****' now I'm double prone to get it then,
supposedly I'm not now,
But Dr. claimed;
that it could trigger Shingles Virus, that is possibly dormant in my system"
to oversimplify it, as he explained it back then;
"mainly because of having the Chicken Pox twice already