• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford 9" rear end

dickdale

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
For my 70's Satellite I'm looking for a Ford 9"rear end. Which rear end is plug and play? Which has the right length?

Way back in the early 90's I had Dutchman build a bolt in 9" for my 77 Chev stepside.. At that time I could not find any parts for the 10" or 12" ( can't remember) to work on what was in it....
It solved a multitude of problems with So many options available with a 9"...
DSCF0224.JPG
DSCF0225.JPG

Installing this one in my Mustang project right now.. Replacing the 7.5" that is in it....
DSCF0734.JPG
DSCF0737.JPG
DSCF0740.JPG

For my 70's Satellite I'm looking for a Ford 9"rear end. Which rear end is plug and play? Which has the right length?
Are you looking to replace the rear end with a stock 9"? What's in it now? If you're looking for a stock 9", you're wasting your time but if you're talking about aftermarket, that's a different ball game but you will pay the price to get into that game.

Well I'm looking for a stronger rear end then the 8 3/4 to handle Hellcat power. The Dana 60 doesn't have the ratio I want and the 9" would be the next option.

Well I'm looking for a stronger rear end then the 8 3/4 to handle Hellcat power. The Dana 60 doesn't have the ratio I want and the 9" would be the next option.
Then you better go aftermarket because the stock 9" isn't much stronger than the 8 3/4 if it is in the first place....or you can possibly adapt the rear end from a Hellcat.....? We all know that one will hold up I think.

I will go aftermarket but I need 9” housing first and was wwoundering which year/model would fit without having to cut and reweld it.

Just buy a drop in strange or Moser unit.
Built proper, built to your spec.
A stock 9 is weaker than an 8 34.
Once there's no stock left in it, that changes.

Well said rem charger! They also consume more power and less efficient.

Yup....but it's not that much....and when you're making 700+ horsepower, what's a little inefficiency lol Gotta hand it to the aftermarket though with the way they catered to the 9 with all the different gear ratios. Thing is, there's lots of people running 10's and even into the 9's with the 8 3/4. I wouldn't do it but it's being done....

But.... there's an upside! The driveshaft is lower so your floor hump in your Lincoln won't be so prominent! :fool:

So back in the day, I believe it was said that the '57 Ford wagon was the narrowest 9" housing. Imagine such an old model would be near impossible to find nowadays.

So back in the day, I believe it was said that the '57 Ford wagon was the narrowest 9" housing. Imagine such an old model would be near impossible to find nowadays.
In the mid 70's I was looking for 57 Ranchero....found a few but all were in sad shape. Thought it was kind odd that I didn't see hardly any 57 Ford sedans or hardtops....at least ones that were not junk. My room mate in 1970 found a 57 2 dr sedan that was straight and solid but the paint on it was shot. The cars of the 50's just didn't seem to hold up very well imo. My dad's 56 Plymouth Sports Coupe had rust around the tops of the headlights and rockers when it was only 4 years old but that was up in the rust belt. A buddy of mine in high school had a nice looking 59 and one day he was blowing off the water after washing it and the air steam lifted a good chunk of paint off. That happened in 68 and we both thought the paint was original but that taught me (and him) to never use pressurized air to dry off a car lol

Auto Transport Service
Back