• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford GT's...... I don't get it

Exactly, I love the originals '66 esp. (Lola Mark I-V chassis, Ford/Shelby power)
I prefer the Cobra Daytona Coupe better, even more expensive
10's of millions more, only 4 made
(build a tribute, for $150k have a great ride & drive it)

2005-06 GT's are supposed to be nice drivers & good cars

& the newer/latest versions are really small, $start at over $400k now
if you can even buy one, have to hold on to it for 2 years, before you sell
& if you'er are a bigger guy like I am 6+ft 250#s
or anyone like over 5'8" 170#s, no chance of fitting 'comfortably'

I'd actually rather have a C8 Vette, Z06 or ZR1, with all the carbon fiber treatments

I'm not a fan of Italian "super cars" at all,
with all the foreigners style open silk shirts, with gold chain/big watch wearing douches
that drive & own them
Sort of like most of the vintage Vette owners
wearing white socks with Birkenstocks, at the shows
all sitting behind their cars, they never drive :poke:
I am with you. I won't ever own a Viper, despite wanting one, because I do not fit. That is one thing the Vettes have on other cars like that, you sit on the floor but at least you can get in the car. Some day I would like a C4 ZR1, I could almost afford that. Maybe.
As for foreign jobs, I would own an early 90's Aston Martin V8 Vantage(before ferd bought into them) but that's about it. I don't think about it much because that is pipe dreams land, I will never realistically have that kind of money.
1697411756762.png

Is it exotic and pretty? Not really. Go look up what it is capable of though lol. And that matters a lot more to me, personal preference.

You must be really tall or really short. I was 6' tall 300lbs fit Viper no problem, had to move seat forward a couple of clicks. Only car I ever had to do that.

I dig Vipers —all of them. I like the raw straight to the point type of car. V10 was unique... Ford hopped on that wagon pretty quick too with their 6.8 ticking triton.

Ford missed the boat on the new GT in my opinion. Should have offered the 5.2 flat plane crank engine as an option with an exhaust system to resemble the old bundle of snakes.

Way beyond my price range as an
immediate purchase.
I say if you have the means and
desire, buy what ever trips your
trigger. It"s what keeps our hobbies
alive.

Last edited:
The original GT40 is an iconic car and the 2005 & 2006 Ford GT was a tribute to that car. Both are a beautiful and sexy. The newer GT does nothing for me.
Agreed. First time I heard that "ecoboost" engine in the newest version, it was an instant turn-off for me.

When the GT had the V8, it sounded better than any Viper ever did. The V 10 always sounded crappy to me. I never warmed to the styling of the Viper either.
Yes and no. I've always dug the Vipers' looks and rawness, but I agree on the sound. Raspy and nasty.
In comparison, a V10 can sound good - in a Lambo, for example.

I still like the Vipers...
A pure sports car, wasn't orginaly electronics laden/driver assist
I'm not fond of the v10 exhaust tone
but I'd live with it,
I always liked the 96 GTS coupe in blue with white stripes
not the best of fastest but love the looks, still fast enough...
I think @Richard Cranium had one of them also...
He's had a crapload of cars I'd have liked to own :poke:
thanks for sharing RC

I like the org GT40 LeMans winners 66-69 mostly
almost did a tribute car, from a place down in San Diego
priced out the Daytona Coupe & GT40 tribute/clone with bigger doors
& seating/cabin area
& 05-06 Ford GT org. a bargain at $159k msrp
(never could've got one for that, here) compared to what they sell now

not so much the newer GTs, 2019 started at $389k msrp *IIRC
*& had to be on the list to get one, $500k+ msrp now
& a 2 year no sale clause

The c8 Vette is a bargain for what it is, starting at like $69k msrp
& will run with the best of them with a good driver...

Ford missed the boat on the new GT in my opinion. Should have offered the 5.2 flat plane crank engine as an option with an exhaust system to resemble the old bundle of snakes.
made the cabin/cockpit seating & headroom a bit bigger

Loved them spaghetti headers 'Titanium' IIRC on the org. 289 GT40s
65 Shelby Ford GT-40 Roadster engine 289ci ZF-5spd transaxle.jpg

65 Shelby GT-40 MKII.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back