• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford GT's...... I don't get it

I like the first two versions. For me though I prefer my Viper.
I like Vipers too but also like the Ferd....especially the 1st one.
It was not only resembling an Italian super car, it was built to beat them. Ferrari had to watch helplessly while the Ford GT40 won the 1966 24 hour Le Mans race. And again in 1967, 1968 and 1969.
And most of it was because of Shelby and that was some pretty cool times. Too bad I wasn't into that type of racing back then.
When the GT had the V8, it sounded better than any Viper ever did. The V 10 always sounded crappy to me. I never warmed to the styling of the Viper either.
Have you ever driven a Viper? Yeah, it had a strange sound but all that went away when ya got on the throttle!! Always wanted one and still do and was hooked after driving my first one.

It was not only resembling an Italian super car, it was built to beat them. Ferrari had to watch helplessly while the Ford GT40 won the 1966 24 hour Le Mans race. And again in 1967, 1968 and 1969.

to clarify....... the 2 mentioned in the OP were late model, one was a 2016 the other similar with some goofy paint scheme

As Photon 440 explained it, the OP just might want to research their History a tad bit more as to why Ford wanted to beat The Italian Horse car in the first place!!! Without it being developed and built, the Italian jobs would continue to dominate motor racing at LeMans...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
post 23

didn't know we had so many ferd enthusiasts here :poke:
I’m up for any kool American car. And the Ford GT for ‘05 was a remarkable design considering all the safety regs put into place since the classic Muscle Car era. It really is a beautiful car, that has a supercharged V8 and a stick only. A lot of the guys that are into Super Cars call it the last “Analog” car. Which is kinda silly because it has lots of digital control. But I know what they mean.

My 08 sounds way better than the earlier ones, I like it just fine. It's a handful to drive too, you need quick hands with these torquey devils. The Ford engine doesn't look this good either. Vipers are for HP maniacs and sky diver types, the Ford GT's are more for impressing the country club set.

DSC03773.JPG

My 08 sounds way better than the earlier ones, I like it just fine. It's a handful to drive too, you need quick hands with these torquey devils. The Ford engine doesn't look this good either. Vipers are for HP maniacs and sky diver types, the Ford GT's are more for impressing the country club set.

View attachment 1540438
The Viper V10 sounds good when it’s winding up… it’s the idle of the firing order that had a “UPS Truck” quality. :) I imagine with the right exhaust, that could be changed.

buddy of mine has a 94-95ish RAM 2500 with a V10....... I always bust his ball about the 3/4 ton V6 :poke:

There is a cheaper way to be taken for a ride. :eek:

Screenshot_20231015-150630~2.png

I’m with the others…the V6 in the latest GT version killed it for me. Sometime engineers and bean counter types need a slap upside the head: “ Hello! You morons were the first massed produced V8s, you won 66-69 on the strength of the V8, and now you want a 6cyl!?“

CLOWNS.

to clarify....... the 2 mentioned in the OP were late model, one was a 2016 the other similar with some goofy paint scheme
Thanks for the clarification. The OP don't dwell too much on which era they were from. Being much later makes more sense, as the originals are in the $10 million range these days (a small fraction of, say a 1962 Ferrari GTO). So the newer incarnations are making use of the original's fame, but cost less.

The original GT40 is an iconic car and the 2005 & 2006 Ford GT was a tribute to that car. Both are a beautiful and sexy. The newer GT does nothing for me.
Exactly, I love the originals '66 esp. (Lola Mark I-V chassis, Ford/Shelby power)
I prefer the Cobra Daytona Coupe better, even more expensive
10's of millions more, only 4 made
(build a tribute, for $150k have a great ride & drive it)

2005-06 GT's are supposed to be nice drivers & good cars

& the newer/latest versions are really small, $start at over $400k now
if you can even buy one, have to hold on to it for 2 years, before you sell
& if you'er are a bigger guy like I am 6+ft 250#s
or anyone like over 5'8" 170#s, no chance of fitting 'comfortably'

I'd actually rather have a C8 Vette, Z06 or ZR1, with all the carbon fiber treatments

I'm not a fan of Italian "super cars" at all,
with all the foreigners style open silk shirts, with gold chain/big watch wearing douches
that drive & own them
Sort of like most of the vintage Vette owners
wearing white socks with Birkenstocks, at the shows
all sitting behind their cars, they never drive :poke:

Last edited:
The vintage 'front engine v12' open 60's Ferraris, are a bit more tolerable
than all the wedge shape stuff, still way, way, way overpriced

Albeit I did like the style of the 308 GTs, like Magnum PI drove (Tom Selleck) but they aren't fast

Exactly, I love the originals '66 esp. (Lola Mark I-V chassis, Ford/Shelby power)
I prefer the Cobra Daytona Coupe better, even more expensive
10's of millions more, only 4 made
(build a tribute, for $150k have a great ride & drive it)

& the newer versions are really small, $start at over $400k now
if you can even buy one, have to hold on to it for 2 years, before you sell
& if you'er are a bigger guy like I am 6+ft 250#s
or anyone like over 5'8" 170#s, no chance of fitting 'comfortably'

I'd actually rather have a C8 Vette, Z06 or ZR1, with all the carbon fiber treatments

I'm not a fan of Italian "super cars" at all,
with all the foreigners style open silk shirts, with gold chain/big watch wearing douches
that drive & own them
Sort of like most of the vintage Vette owners
wearing white socks with Birkenstocks, at the shows
all sitting behind their cars, they never drive :poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back