• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford GT's...... I don't get it

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
up early for no apparent reason, turn on the tube...... some sort of Mecum rerun

see a ford GT go for 600K, and another for 1.25 mil

I dont get it, it's a ford

If I wanted something resembling an Italian super car, and had over a mil to waste; I'd just buy an Italian super car

dont care how fast, they are all fast...... it's a ferd!

what am I missing?

The original GT40 is an iconic car and the 2005 & 2006 Ford GT was a tribute to that car. Both are a beautiful and sexy. The newer GT does nothing for me.

They don't make a car worth that kind of money, and I don't care if God himself put the wheels on it and signed it. I love cars and the smell of gas in general. Boats, cars, hell, even riding lawn mowers have gone stupid. 93 thousand for a tritoon 24 foot boat, I don't think so!!!!! I admit, I don't care what it cost if I really want it and I have done some stupid things in my life with no regard to cost, but at some point, I think they're starting to insult my intelligence and that pisses me off. I think they do to us like we do to a carburetor, turn till it sputters and then back it off a bit. The car hobby is in the hopper as far as the average person and that's never going to change. It's fascinating to me how much money is floating around out there.

I have an original Ford GT. It's in my Aurora Model Motoring pit kit.
1697374136081.png

I agree the first GT was cool and the second was neat, for a Ford BUT had it not been for Shelby it would have been a pipe dream. The third gen with a Mazda/ ford eco boost is a joke , nothing like hearing the odd little six with twin hair driers buzzing when they could have used a V8. Lord knows 5.0 would have fit .

old fords are pretty cool , like most old cars are . i’m not a ford guy but it’s ok if you are … same with chevy, merc etc.etc. some of the early other brand stuff makes for a cool hot rods , i’m glad there still around ….i just like mopars the best !but as for new gt’s , yep i don’t get it either…

I like the first two versions. For me though I prefer my Viper.

How long before Ferd comes out with a battery electric version? Will it make fake engine noises like an upcoming offering from Stellantis?

up early for no apparent reason, turn on the tube...... some sort of Mecum rerun

If I wanted something resembling an Italian super car, and had over a mil to waste; I'd just buy an Italian super car

what am I missing?
It was not only resembling an Italian super car, it was built to beat them. Ferrari had to watch helplessly while the Ford GT40 won the 1966 24 hour Le Mans race. And again in 1967, 1968 and 1969.

The ‘05-‘06 GT might have been the last desirable car that didn’t double in price the day after someone bought it to resell. It also may have been the last great car that was actually driven by some. The whole BAT bullshit of cars with plastic still on the seats, and paper on the floor does nothing for me. I thought people learned from the “last convertible” ‘76 Eldorado that was a terrible investment. They just recently are hitting $50k for low mileage almost non driven versions. They didn’t even keep pace with inflation.

When the GT had the V8, it sounded better than any Viper ever did. The V 10 always sounded crappy to me. I never warmed to the styling of the Viper either.

As Photon 440 explained it, the OP just might want to research their History a tad bit more as to why Ford wanted to beat The Italian Horse car in the first place!!! Without it being developed and built, the Italian jobs would continue to dominate motor racing at LeMans...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

what am I missing?
I am guessing these were 05/06 cars?
I could see it for originals, but only if they were legit and not kit cars.

For the 05/06 cars, you have to realize those cars have an international interest. The guy that designed the Gran Tourismo games for instance ranks it in his top 5 cars of all time. Ford wanted an international appeal when they built these, to try to bring back some of the LeMans marketing fame basically as they were pushing into a global company in the early 2000's. Ford doesn't do ANYTHING unless they think it will sell more mundane, ignorable family trucksters, like the Taurus or the army of jellybean crossovers now. Once they got their acclaim, YOINK, no more for a while.

So a million bucks for a clean original 05 or 06 is a possibility with todays international rich guys bidding. We are living in the closest thing to the mid 90's "collector" price explosion as we have had since that time. Car guys won't understand the idea of spending a million dollars on a car to never turn the key on it, but car guys don't buy things like this for that money, bankers do. The million dollar car was loaded into an 18 wheeler enclosed trailer to usher it off to a climate controlled collection warehouse building I am sure, to have the staff dust it once a week. The collection makes a good ice breaker when talking to investment bankers I am sure.

Probably a bit cheaper (although not "cheap") to work on and get parts for.

1697393356444.png

Top and bottom pic is a fiero.

I am guessing these were 05/06 cars?
I could see it for originals, but only if they were legit and not kit cars.

For the 05/06 cars, you have to realize those cars have an international interest. The guy that designed the Gran Tourismo games for instance ranks it in his top 5 cars of all time. Ford wanted an international appeal when they built these, to try to bring back some of the LeMans marketing fame basically as they were pushing into a global company in the early 2000's. Ford doesn't do ANYTHING unless they think it will sell more mundane, ignorable family trucksters, like the Taurus or the army of jellybean crossovers now. Once they got their acclaim, YOINK, no more for a while.

So a million bucks for a clean original 05 or 06 is a possibility with todays international rich guys bidding. We are living in the closest thing to the mid 90's "collector" price explosion as we have had since that time. Car guys won't understand the idea of spending a million dollars on a car to never turn the key on it, but car guys don't buy things like this for that money, bankers do. The million dollar car was loaded into an 18 wheeler enclosed trailer to usher it off to a climate controlled collection warehouse building I am sure, to have the staff dust it once a week. The collection makes a good ice breaker when talking to investment bankers I am sure.
I didn’t see the auction but… $1 mil. was most likely for the “new” one. That’s where they have been hovering. The ‘05-‘06 were $400k+ a year ago… I’m sure they’ve gone up, but doubt a million.

The original GT40 is an iconic car and the 2005 & 2006 Ford GT was a tribute to that car. Both are a beautiful and sexy. The newer GT does nothing for me.
It has the modern Super Car look but, doesn’t look anything like a Ford GT. And it sounds like utter ****. :D

Oh… and no clutch pedal.

Auto Transport Service
Back