• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford Tried To Be Tesla, And It Cost The Company Billions

Wait? 61k for a Maverick. Where I live you can get the turbo 4 banger loaded for 36 to 38k, California?
Base truck is like $28k (?) $32k - $35k (Lariat XLT ?) plus options added
depends on what model, there's 3 of them

No it was about $48k IIRC out the door ($42k-ish) + Tax & lic. :realcrazy:
(It had a sticker on it for $55k, that's like $61k tax & lic.
no freaken' way I'd pay that, for a freaken' lil' FORD Pick-up,
equipt the way that guy ordered it & he bailed
)
minus trade-in & dealer incentives
Maverick Lariat *Super Cab Ecoboost turbo 2.ltr 8 speed auto
26 Options/leather inverter vault touchscreen/voice act. NAV
rollup hard tonneau cover :blah:
(IIRC) everythig incl. tow package
the 4x4 offroad package (Tremer (?), that was like $3500 alone

glad he didn't like it & I got the Gladiator

Last edited:
Heard on the radio that Tesla is now in second place for EVs.
I wonder who said that? As of Q3 for this year, Tesla still outsells all of the other manufacturers over here. However, Tesla is in second place in China.

Last edited:
Base truck is like $28k (?) - $35k
depends on what model, there's 3 of them

No it was about $48k out the door ($41-42-ish) + Tax & lic. :realcrazy:
(It had a sticker on it for $55k, like $61k tax & lic. no freaken' way I'd pay that,
for a freaken' FORD, equipt the way that guy ordered it & bailed IIRC
)
minus trade-in & dealer incentives
Maverick Lariat Super Cab Ecoboost turbo 2.ltr 8 speed auto
26 Options/leather inverter vault touchscreen/voice act. NAV
rollup hard tonneau cover :blah:
(IIRC) everythig incl. tow package
the 4x4 package, not the AWD, that was like $3500 alone

glad he didn't like it & I got the Gladiator
Sounds like some A hole ford dealer gouging because people will pay that much because it's " popular " I hope he eats every one of those trucks.

Believe it or not awhile back I had heard Tesla had surpassed Toyota in sales volume for all cars here in the looney bin state. Toyota has reigned for years but no more. Those things are everywhere out here.
I've only seen 2 here, one the son (yuppie) of the guy across the street...
He hates it now too...
Not very good in the mountains or cold...

Heard on the radio that Tesla is now in second place for EVs.
I see a lot of Rivians, I work at a private school for the wealthy and there's a lot of Teslas but also more and more Rivians. I like the parent that has a TRX, Red-eye and a Rubicon 392.
There's also a mom that has two Lambo SUVs, one is the high HP, it's absolutely scary watching her drive either.

I see a lot of Rivians, I work at a private school for the wealthy and there's a lot of Teslas but also more and more Rivians. I like the parent that has a TRX, Red-eye and a Rubicon 392.
There's also a mom that has two Lambo SUVs, one is the high HP, it's absolutely scary watching her drive either.
Think deeply about the Rivians before purchase. They're burning thru investor cash like it was toilet paper. They're also losing $33k per vehicle sold. As a start up company one must wonder how long they can last at that rate - and when they go belly up whose going to provide parts etc? Maybe another Edsel. I wouldn't go near one with my cash. This I heard from direct discussions with industry people.

Now the Lambo SUV - My wife wants one of those. Me to. But if we bought one she's going to pay for it - So I know that will never happen - at least not until I take the dirt nap and she goes nuts.... Lol

Think deeply about the Rivians before purchase. They're burning thru investor cash like it was toilet paper. They're also losing $33k per vehicle sold. As a start up company one must wonder how long they can last at that rate - and when they go belly up whose going to provide parts etc? Maybe another Edsel. I wouldn't go near one with my cash. This I heard from direct discussions with industry people.

Now the Lambo SUV - My wife wants one of those. Me to. But if we bought one she's going to pay for it - So I know that will never happen - at least not until I take the dirt nap and she goes nuts.... Lol
Those Lambos do look nice, but way out of my price range, 250K to start? The mom has accidentally broke the tires loose at 10 mph in an area with children. I'm lucky my wife wants a Grand Wagoneer, 150K less but still too much IMO. She drives so much she actually has a Volt, it's been great, sad we had to go this route, but she put 70K on it in two years. If she stops driving, it'll be the Wagon or Durango, even though she wants a Wrangler again, but I know she'll want fancy ****.

That's not bad, they were losing $67,000 per vehicle in the first quarter, and $124,000 per vehicle in Q4 of 2022. And they still have over $15,000,000,000 in the bank, with Ford being part owner. Amazon has over 1,000 of their delivery vans with 10,000 ordered. I wouldn't want one but I see more and more of them.

That's not bad, they were losing $67,000 per vehicle in the first quarter, and $124,000 per vehicle in Q4 of 2022. And they still have over $15,000,000,000 in the bank, with Ford being part owner. Amazon has over 1,000 of their delivery vans with 10,000 ordered. I wouldn't want one but I see more and more of them.
Wow - That is shocking! Where does all that banked cash come from? $15b? Do you think at this rate they're going to last - and w/Ford having issues again? I'd never heard of them - but then started to see them around - not many - but more than none.....

Wow - That is shocking! Where does all that banked cash come from? $15b? Do you think at this rate they're going to last - and w/Ford having issues again? I'd never heard of them - but then started to see them around - not many - but more than none.....
A lot of their cash came from their IPO, which was quite successful. On the first day of closing on the Nasdaq, their capitalization was $86Billion, more than Ford was worth. Three days later, it had risen to $127 Billion. At least it's an American company.

I've only seen 2 here, one the son (yuppie) of the guy across the street...
He hates it now too...
Not very good in the mountains or cold...
he just sold it too...

Paid like $110k, sold for $75 I think he said
It had quite a few miles, going from Sonora to San Jose area & back
2 times a week for a couple of years, fireman/Cal Fire
Said; to paraphrase
He got tired of the parking hassles/restrictions & all the expenses,
having to pay an electrician to install a special charger,
he had to add extra (I think he said another 100 amps) service panel
to his existing panel too, so it could get to or near a 100% charge
(The 110/220vt 40amp charger wasn't cutting it, never got over 80% IIRC he said,
IIRC he had said; It starts to drain faster as soon as it is 75% too
)
&/or the insurance costs & always having to be charing it
he had to wait to plug it in down in San Jose too,
someone always using the charger & you have to pay for that charge
using a credit card...
Very few of the "free" charging stations even in Silicon Valley...

He said afte me asking how it comparde in costs to the Merc.
in reality it was is like $20-$25 a gal or more, if it was an I.C.E.
were are at like $4.50 a gal. here

He said it was far cheaper to own & drive his old I.C.E. Mercedes V8
2010 (?) nice 4dr sedan (500sc) like less than 1/2 as much when all considered
he's over the fad/trend/hype, now he has a nice new 2023 Charger SRT (?)
I didn't see it, he was driving his truck, an early 2000's Ram 1500 4x4
last I saw him & talked... Thanksgiving day...

Last edited:
and here we are a few months later and the ev plot thickens , the big mfg’s backing away from the battery car theory, here in ny the government is re thinking the ev . it’s all goin down the toilet….

I just returned from a trip to Europe and got to see some of their inner city housing, parking and traffic conditions. I did see a few electric cars but they were mostly these shoe box size things that make a Smart Car look big. It looks like everyone parks on the street, in alleys, on sidewalks, double park, etc. Looked like only the wealthy might have off-street parking. No parking signs are just flat ignored. I can’t imagine the enormous nightmare and expense it would be to put in an infrastructure system to where most of those cars could be EV. I suspect a lot of our large metropolitan areas aren’t a lot better.

Our nearby Ford Dealer has an area on the side of his used car lot where they have 4, I guess used Lightnings parked and for sale. Red tag specials. I suspect they were forced to take them back in trade. Bet they sit there quite a while.

Auto Transport Service
Back