• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forever ain't what you think...

twecomm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
So, went to the post office Friday to drop off a package and mail a birthday card to my brother. The card had a "forever" flag stamp affixed to the envelope. Postal worker said the card needed another 24 cents additional postage. Nothing special about this card, normal size not over weight. Pointing to the stamp on the envelope, I said but it's a "forever" stamp. Worker said Jan 1 postal rates went up. HuH ??? Guess that "Forever" ended in 2023 and I was not aware of that..

So, went to the post office Friday to drop off a package and mail a birthday card to my brother. The card had a "forever" flag stamp affixed to the envelope. Postal worker said the card needed another 24 cents additional postage. Nothing special about this card, normal size not over weight. Pointing to the stamp on the envelope, I said but it's a "forever" stamp. Worker said Jan 1 postal rates went up. HuH ??? Guess that "Forever" ended in 2023 and I was not aware of that..
The whole country is screwed up.

Sounds like you've been had....or your mail weighed more than one ounce...

As the name suggests, Forever Stamps can be used to mail a one-ounce letter regardless of when the stamps are purchased or used and no matter how prices may change in the future. Forever Stamps are always sold at the same price as a regular First-Class Mail stamp.

Last edited:
I always dump my mail in the box outside before going in. I get you wanted to take it in but they always try and squeeze pennies.

Another example of an untrained/uneducated employee.

I would have demanded to see the Postmaster General immediately! They change the rates that does become effective on whatever date and they sell you ”Forever Stamps“ for that new rate going forward - not devaluing the previous “Forever Stamps” by adding the new up charge to them. The continuation of destruction of the greatest republic the world has ever known - one paper cut at a time…..

Forever is forever - Period!

I just call them USP nowadays since there is no Service.

It's the government. What else do you expect anymore? Of course they want more money, for no reason, illegally even sometimes.

I would have told him to get his boss out there NOW. My wife buys forever stamps all the time and that has never happened to us. Have you noticed the jobs at the post office, like most jobs these days, are not 30 years and out anymore. 2 months and it's, I'm not making enough money for this BS, color me gone!! Times have changed, because people have changed.

I would have told him to get his boss out there NOW. My wife buys forever stamps all the time and that has never happened to us. Have you noticed the jobs at the post office, like most jobs these days, are not 30 years and out anymore. 2 months and it's, I'm not making enough money for this BS, color me gone!! Times have changed, because people have changed.
Too much free money.
Wife's relative worked at post office local for 5 years. Complained a lot. Her daughter succeeded in getting disability for imaginary crohns disease, so guess what? Ditching the post job for disability was more lucrative AND she doesn't have to go to work anymore. Why have a job when some papers will net you free money? Now there are two people in that household watching TV and having "rummage sales" as a "job".

Too much free money.
Wife's relative worked at post office local for 5 years. Complained a lot. Her daughter succeeded in getting disability for imaginary crohns disease, so guess what? Ditching the post job for disability was more lucrative AND she doesn't have to go to work anymore. Why have a job when some papers will net you free money? Now there are two people in that household watching TV and having "rummage sales" as a "job".
I could match you with a few more stories just like it, sad. Times haven't changed, people have. People don't get hard work and sacrifice. My father overheard the boss one day telling another worker, he was going to give that poor asshole a nickel more an hour.......... It turned out that poor asshole was my father.

The postal worker you delt with needs to be schooled. Next time you go there ask for your .24 cents back...

• The first Forever Stamp went on sale in April 2007 and it featured an image of the Liberty Bell. In 2011, all first-class one ounce stamps became forever stamps with the exception of stamps in coils of 500, 3,000, and 10,000.
  • As the name suggests, Forever Stamps can be used to mail a one-ounce letter regardless of when the stamps are purchased or used and no matter how prices may change in the future.
  • Forever Stamps are always sold at the same price as a regular First-Class Mail stamp.
  • The Postal Service developed the Forever Stamp for consumers ease of use during price changes. Forever Stamps are available for purchase at post offices nationwide, online at usps.com, and by phone at 1-800-STAMP-24 (1-800-782-6724). They are sold in sheets and booklets of 20.
  • Customers can use Forever Stamps for international mail, but since all international prices are higher than domestic prices, customers will need to attach additional postage. The value of the Forever Stamp is the domestic First-Class Mail letter price in effect on the day of use.
Forever Stamp Fact Sheet

I get so many pieces of mail that never got the stamp cancelled, or the stamp was missing or the wrong amount and the mail still gets delivered. I don't think the automated sorting equipment really cares.

Man me thinks you got Hood Winked by a very dumb Postal Worker!!! cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

an additional 24 cents on top of what you already paid . that’s outrageous!

Postal takes in a ton of cash selling the forever stamps sometimes years before they’re used, I have some I bought years ago I’ve never used and probably never will. All the people we used to send Christmas cards to have dropped to about two as most send an email or text. Granted it isn’t the extra 24-cents it’s all about the BS that’s worth a lot more.

Auto Transport Service
Back