• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found 1970 Charger RT 440-6 Body

moparsquad

Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
just found a 440-6 70 charger body, it has been stripped, fender tag was still there, original hemi orange with white top and bumble bee stripe, black interior, auto with console, the dash has been taken out and there is no title. can a vin tag be reproduced for this car? i do not want to purchase it if i cannot get a title. also found the original dana that was in the car at another place. unfornately this car was stripped by someone that did not know what it was. needs a lot of parts but still restorable. any info that anyone has on these cars would be great. Jim

Congradulations on the find. To the best of my knowledge, you can not get a reproduction VIN tag legally. There are people in the past that have tried to do such things and ended up in jail, so be careful if you decide to tread in that area (I would not and advise you to do the same). The problem with that kind of VIN reproduction service is that it is too tempting for some people not to "upgrade" a car body more than it orginally was built and then sell it as something it was not. (Example: An XP29H0GXXXXXX becomes an XS29R0GXXXXXX via the VIN tag, then a replacement fender tag is made to match the replacement tag along with restamped numbers on the body, and that fact is not discovered until a few owners along.) As for your situation, I am in the same boat on my HP2 Satellite (has fender tag, but no VIN tag as it was once a KS junkyard car). Legally, two things can be done if you have a bill of sale for the car and you can prove that it was not stolden. One would be to convert it into a race car and have it spend the rest of its life on the track (never on a public road). You will have to have the bill of sale present when at the track and be aware that if someone come up with the orginal VIN tag to the car with a title, they could end up owning your car. The other option is to obtain a legal reissue of a VIN to the car body (but that also hurts the value and costs money to do, since the orginal VIN tag is no longer used for identifying the car with the DMV). The new VIN will not match the old VIN, each state has a process that they do to make the new set of numbers. If you go for option two, you will be able to run the car on the streets again and you can prove that it is an orginal six pack car with the fender tag. The best bet is to ask around to see where the tag might have run off to. Offer a reward for its return and you may end up with it coming home. As for the production and specifics for the 1970 Charger models, check out: www.1970chargerregistry.com as they have just about everything covered there. Don't forget to also register the car with TDC and the above website........

doesn't the fender tag with vin number and the body stamped with the vin number mean anything? The vin. number on the body should help to verify this car.

I don't think I'd do anything about registering the car till 1) it's bought and 2) you know it hasn't been "resurrected" on another car

what do they want for this jewel

if it's ressurected on another car, wouldn't the other person be in trouble? I would have the original car. Not sure on price yet. He says the doors have to be worth something. Wants me to give an offer. I may know who may have the dash but i do not want to talk to him. Bad situation.

For anyone that is interested, my brother has THREE 1970 440-6 Chargers. Two 4 speeds and one auto. He had FOUR of them but sold one of them within the last year or so.

I think he is going to sell at least one if not two of them. all need restoration. If anyone is interested email me. He does not have any of them advertise as of yet.

For anyone that is interested, my brother has THREE 1970 440-6 Chargers. Two 4 speeds and one auto. He had FOUR of them but sold one of them within the last year or so.

I think he is going to sell at least one if not two of them. all need restoration. If anyone is interested email me. He does not have any of them advertise as of yet.

is he /are they in arizona ????

doesn't the fender tag with vin number and the body stamped with the vin number mean anything? The vin. number on the body should help to verify this car.

Yes, it means that you can not get it properly registered without either obtaining the orginal VIN plate (and sticking it back on) or getting a state issued one. But it does help in getting the state issued VIN with the rest of the numbers being there, since they can verify the car to what it was more readily. The DMVs want the dash VIN in place as that is their main identification plate for the car, so they are a bit strict on that one rule. At least you know what the VIN number was for the car, as my HP2 Satellite had the VIN number stamped only on the missing door plate (all other numbers on the car are for the SO # on the fender tag, per 1966 production)......

just an update, previous owner found the title. just purchased it for $1000.00. i will be picking it up in the next few days. i think it's a good deal.

pICS PLEASE!!! sounds like a good deal. could you have a third party tak to the guy with the dash?

I believe this guy does VIN tags. You have to be legit and prove it.

http://www.datatags.com/

There's another guy out there, can't seem to find the link. Maybe someone else knows?

just found a 440-6 70 charger body, it has been stripped, fender tag was still there, original hemi orange with white top and bumble bee stripe, black interior, auto with console, the dash has been taken out and there is no title. can a vin tag be reproduced for this car? i do not want to purchase it if i cannot get a title. also found the original dana that was in the car at another place. unfornately this car was stripped by someone that did not know what it was. needs a lot of parts but still restorable. any info that anyone has on these cars would be great. Jim

Auto Transport Service
Back