• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame rail ties for 74 Charger

Moparmayhem

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,
Finally getting back to helping my son work on his 74 Charger.
We are putting in torque boxes, frame ties, mini tubs and moving the springs to the frame rail.
I was wondering who else has done this and if they can give us some tricks, tips or warnings for this leg of the project.

Thank you in advance,
Moparmayhem

20210227_145406 (2).jpg

I put sub frame connectors in my 73 last year. Since the rear frame section is different starting in 73, I made my own connectors out of 2x2x1/8 rectangle tubing.
They come through the floor in the back.
I can put up pics i you want to see them.

That would be great padam, that's what I am doing. Still just like to reach out.

Thanks,
Moparmayhem

I reinforced the areas front and back with 1/8 plate, then welded the connectors to those plates. (Well, I had a guy come weld them for me.)
I cut the floor openings too big in some areas, so I made sheetmetal pieces to cover the gaps, those I welded myself since it wasn't reall structurally critical.

I see some guys cut open the front of the rear frame rail, insert the connector and weld it together, but I didn't want to do it like that. I wanted to leave the factory struture intact.

Mine won't win any beauty contests but it seems to be strong enough.

SFC-01.jpg
SFC-02.jpg
SFC-03.jpg
SFC-04.jpg
SFC-05.jpg
SFC-06.jpg
SFC-07.jpg
SFC-08.jpg

Thanks padam, this really helps me in how I am going to do mine.

Good morning everyone,
Finally getting back to helping my son work on his 74 Charger.
We are putting in torque boxes, frame ties, mini tubs and moving the springs to the frame rail.
I was wondering who else has done this and if they can give us some tricks, tips or warnings for this leg of the project.

Thank you in advance,
Moparmayhem

View attachment 1420510
I did all of these same things to my E Body. Frame ties, mini tubbed and moved springs inboard. It's a 70 Challenger, but similar enough. I don't really have any tips other than measure several time before cutting and always under cut and trim to fit.

20210810_200920.jpg

20210810_200902.jpg

20221001_151456.jpg

6PKRTSE how did you run your exhaust after moving your springs inward

Auto Transport Service
Back