• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freaking SAE

Tony 69

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
Every time I go to work on the car I never have the bolt or nut I need. Everything around here is metric. Can anyone recommend a nut and bolt assortment that will cover most sizes on a 69 B body?

Your local parts stores should carry a complete line of SAE hardware, Ace sells the same too, not to mention AMK Bolts that sells factory correct and USA made hardware plus more. Not sure where you are checking, but I can say that Lowes and Home Depot are not the place to go for automotive hardware...

I always went to Tractor Supply for grade eight hardware. Looks almost oem also. They weigh the hardware it's not sold by the piece. You grab a bag and start picking out what you need. Bolts, washers, nuts and it's all weighed at the checkout counter. Prices are cheap too.

Even buying "only" 3 of everything will add up to lots of bucks real quick.

Every parts car I buy, I start filling coffee cans with the bolts I take out.

Nearly guaranteed to have the oddball X and 3/4" or x and 1/8" bolts with and without captive washers that Mopar used, plus they're actually Mopar bolts and US made.

If your local U pull ever gets cars like 5th Ave, or 80'd trucks and vans (like ours do), go fill up a bucket and see what they want for it.

I haven't done ti lately but I've paid 2-3 bucks for a full mop bucket of bolts before.

I also always get alternator and water pump bolts and spacers whenever I see them. Always.

It's amazing how many folks pull an alternator and leave the bolts.

Even buying "only" 3 of everything will add up to lots of bucks real quick.

Every parts car I buy, I start filling coffee cans with the bolts I take out.

Nearly guaranteed to have the oddball X and 3/4" or x and 1/8" bolts with and without captive washers that Mopar used, plus they're actually Mopar bolts and US made.

If your local U pull ever gets cars like 5th Ave, or 80'd trucks and vans (like ours do), go fill up a bucket and see what they want for it.

I haven't done ti lately but I've paid 2-3 bucks for a full mop bucket of bolts before.

I also always get alternator and water pump bolts and spacers whenever I see them. Always.

It's amazing how many folks pull an alternator and leave the bolts.
I have a Folgers can full of nuts and bolts. I call it the mopbucket "Mopar Bucket".

Yep! I have buckets full of Mopar bolts from projects in the past and years ago when the junk yards had those vehicles, I grabbed all the bolts I could find. Alternator, starter and transmission bolts came home with me.

I also agree that Tractor supply is a good place to get grade 8 bolts by the pound. The only one I can't find there is 7/16 for some reason

I also agree that Tractor supply is a good place to get grade 8 bolts by the pound. The only one I can't find there is 7/16 for some reason

I have the same issue with 7/16. Luckily the local Ace has an awesome fastener section. Very organized.

Most automotive grade and OE fasteners are unique to their brand and "Ace Hardware" and such do not match these specs.
Most restoration/classic parts companies carry fastener kits for most cars with OE type specs.
In the overall scheme of things remember that " the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

Yes 100% what YY1 says. Any bolt/nut you buy in the store is made from chinesium, plus it's nice to have the correct head and captured washers.

Go to the Pick N Pull or some county yard where they still let people in. Bring a bucket and wrenches and ask them to let you go at it. You'll save a ton of dough also.

Another good source is McMaster-Carr that sells any kind of bolt grade 5 -8 and are very reasonably priced compare to Ace hardware.

ACE does have the grade 8, fine thread, (cad plated) 1/2" bolts that connect the spindles to the lower control arms.

Those are a bitch to find if you don't have them.

I always went to Tractor Supply for grade eight hardware. Looks almost oem also. They weigh the hardware it's not sold by the piece. You grab a bag and start picking out what you need. Bolts, washers, nuts and it's all weighed at the checkout counter. Prices are cheap too.
Yes Tractor Supply is the place to go. They have grade 2, 5, and 8 bolts and all kinds of special hardware. The one I go to even has some stainless hardware.

Here in New York there aren't too many Tractor Supply's. I know on Long Island there is 1 in Medford on Rte.112. My son in law sent me a gift card for them and at the time I didn't even know it was there and actually found it accidentally. I used to go there when I was in Pa..

Auto Transport Service
Back