• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeze out plugs

steve from staten island

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
What kind would you recommend for my 383,brass or steel? Is there any tricks to installing them properly? The block im using had been rebuilt before i got it,all the plugs were in except one. They look ok but should i replace them anyway? Is there any tricks to do the job properly? Thanks for the help.

Brass, and a little bit of sealer applied to the contact surface. Make sure the block is clean. Use somen sand paper to clean it up if need be. And try and get them in straight. Helps to have the right tool. Not a socket.

In this case do not use the freeze plug tool, it wiggles too much. I like a deep socket and a straight shot. If using steel I like to spray some Permatex on the back side of freeze plugs. It MIGHT help prevent rust out and MIGHT help it seal better. Always use a drill with a wire brush head to clean out the opening. If a really bad lip then use a chisel or knife to remove the rust.

Buy BRASS freeze plugs from O'Reilly's and then use their free rental tool. Yes, free. You pay for it and then they refund ALL your rental money when you return the tool. Great deal... As was said above, use a little Permatex 3-H sealer on the sides of the plugs and knock them in a 1/16" or so below the surface of the block.

Brass, brass, brass.

I had to put mine in the freezer to shrink, in order to get them in.

Never needed any sealer.

Indian head gasket shellac for insurance the steel plugs are more forgiving and I have had a brass plug pop out on the head and a steel one replaced it and held.

The sealer is for a little extra holding power and leak protection. I've used brass plugs for over 50 years and never had a problem. Of course, everyone's experience is going to be different. That's part of what makes this forum so useful. You can pick and choose what you think will work for you...

Auto Transport Service
Back